Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jurassic Park 4 (Jurassic World) - News/Discussion/Speculation

JURASSIC PARK 4 is extinct

You know a dinosaur franchise has run it’s course when the best idea they could come up for the next installment is giving them missiles and forming an army to take over the U.S. That was once the proposed idea for a JURRASSIC PARK 4 and thank God Steven Spielberg canned that idea before it got to far.

But then it could have been worse I suppose. He could have introduced aliens to this franchise. Or maybe he was saving that for number 5?

According to producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, the franchise is now extinct… (via Coming Soon)…

“No… I don’t know. You know, when Crichton passed away, I sorta felt maybe that’s it. Maybe that’s a sign that we don’t mess with it.”

Not only that but I would say the death of visual effects icon Stan Winston must also play it’s part in this decision.

But can a franchise ever really be dead, especially one without an aging lead like this one?

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...is-extinct.php
    Last edited by Madwelshboy; 15 January 2010, 12:56 AM.

Jurassic Park was a hell of a lot of fun, even though it wasn't a very good adaptation of its parent book. The Lost World was an abomination, especially compared to its source material. I didn't even bother with JP3.

I hope JP4 is dead.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Jurassic Park was a hell of a lot of fun, even though it wasn't a very good adaptation of its parent book. The Lost World was an abomination, especially compared to its source material. I didn't even bother with JP3.

I hope JP4 is dead.
      i actually thought JP3 was far superior to the lost world, and since it wasn't based on anything of crightons it had nothing to be compared to, and the cast was pretty good too. you should at least give it a chance imho.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

I personally hated JP3. It was a B-Movie. "Let's throw a bunch of people onto an island infested with dinosaurs" - Wakiness Ensues.

At least TLW Movie had a decent plot, even if it was nothing as good as the original book's plot. Same goes for JP1.

In addition, JP3 just screwed up what Isla Sorna was supposed to be. An island WITHOUT fences. Instead we see what looks very much like the remains of Isla Nublar...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Dino Riders anyone?

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7...6813510zp4.jpg

LoL was that script written by Spielberg himself or what? They need to think of a better script or let it die.
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 23 August 2009, 11:12 AM. Reason: Check out the pic posting rules.
          Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            I personally hated JP3. It was a B-Movie. "Let's throw a bunch of people onto an island infested with dinosaurs" - Wakiness Ensues.

At least TLW Movie had a decent plot, even if it was nothing as good as the original book's plot. Same goes for JP1.

In addition, JP3 just screwed up what Isla Sorna was supposed to be. An island WITHOUT fences. Instead we see what looks very much like the remains of Isla Nublar...
            it didn't have a b-movie cast or a b movie budget, (go watch lake placid 2 and you'll see a b-move)
            personally i felt JP3 was a good concept in that it wasn't just a rehash of the other two, the plot i felt was solid, even if it was bit cliché. the good acting of sam neill, william h macyu, and tea leoni, held it together well. and it had pterodactyls.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

What would you say was the plot though other than "bunch of people stranded on an island".

When watching this movie I had so much hope for it. There were moments when I thought that we were in for so much more. When Grant and his assistant comment on the fact that the Spinosaurus wasn't on InGen's list and Grant says "makes you wonder what else they were up to", I thought we'd get some amazing revelatons and plot - we didn't. But unlike JP1 and TLW which had a storyline per se, this was the sort of thing I expect from a generic dinosaur movie, NOT Jurassic Park.

Additionally, I was very disapointed at the end when we had the triumphant arrival of the US Navy and Marine Corps and then that was it. There could have at least been some Marines Vs Spinosaurus action or something alike. And what on EARTH was with letting the pterodactlys migrate? Aren't the US Navy Pilots going to engage them in combat?

No?

Blast.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

What would you say was the plot though other than "bunch of people stranded on an island".

When watching this movie I had so much hope for it. There were moments when I thought that we were in for so much more. When Grant and his assistant comment on the fact that the Spinosaurus wasn't on InGen's list and Grant says "makes you wonder what else they were up to", I thought we'd get some amazing revelatons and plot - we didn't. But unlike JP1 and TLW which had a storyline per se, this was the sort of thing I expect from a generic dinosaur movie, NOT Jurassic Park.

Additionally, I was very disapointed at the end when we had the triumphant arrival of the US Navy and Marine Corps and then that was it. There could have at least been some Marines Vs Spinosaurus action or something alike. And what on EARTH was with letting the pterodactlys migrate? Aren't the US Navy Pilots going to engage them in combat?

No?

Blast.

honestly, if it's well excecuted, which i felt it was, "bunch of people stranded on an island" was good enough for me, they at least did have good reason to be on the island.
                I'd also like to say that it was more of a character driven movie than a plot driven movie. one of my favourite episodes of stargate is "Solitudes", and that has no real plot per se, but it doesn't need it because of the characters.

and i feel the film would only have been made worse with needless dino-slaughter at the end. that is something i'd expect from a b-movie.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                Quotes!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  honestly, if it's well excecuted, which i felt it was, "bunch of people stranded on an island" was good enough for me, they at least did have good reason to be on the island.
                  I'd also like to say that it was more of a character driven movie than a plot driven movie. one of my favourite episodes of stargate is "Solitudes", and that has no real plot per se, but it doesn't need it because of the characters.

and i feel the film would only have been made worse with needless dino-slaughter at the end. that is something i'd expect from a b-movie.
                  I agree, a character driven priece works well, but I'd say mostly for TV, a film itself, needs some kind of decent storyline. With JP3 it was simply a case of "get to the edge of the island" and every now and then there'd be a raptor or spino attack.

With JP1 and TLW there was more stuff going on, the need to turn the power on, the need to rescue people, whatever...

As for Dino slaughter... if you give us the US military, you may as well give us the US Military in style... you know?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

No?

Blast.
                    yea and that is so unrealistic, i mean why would the US send a whole Fleet basically to rescue like 5 people? What a waste of billions of dollars.
                    And yea i actually like the first one the best, i saw it like 400 times when i was a kid lol, it was oe of my favorite movies. And now I even appreciate it more because i understand it more. I don't know what will happen with Jurassic Park 4, but a wise man once said "Life will find a way"

KEEP IT CLEAN
                    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

I hadn't known they'd even discussed a fourth installment. Better not to do it. Definitely. although I do wish Universal hadn't sued and won on that pretty dreadful JAWS ripoff done years and years ago which was done very tongue in cheek (and probably foot in shark's mouth).

Comment

Yeah, we definitely didn't need a fourth movie. Let the franchise RIP.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                          i actually thought JP3 was far superior to the lost world, and since it wasn't based on anything of crightons it had nothing to be compared to, and the cast was pretty good too. you should at least give it a chance imho.
                          That's not strictly true. Several segments were all taken from the original Jurassic Park novel by Crichton. The bird cage with the Pterodactyls was in the book as well as the idea of taking a boat down river. What they really did is revisit the novel for scenes they hadn't used, flesh them out into little set pieces and then build around them.

The problem with the Lost World was that they strayed so far from what was written that it became something else. Some of the general ideas remained but I'm guessing it was decided that the chaos theory theme wasn't strong enough to carry a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                            You know a dinosaur franchise has run it’s course when the best idea they could come up for the next installment is giving them missiles and forming an army to take over the U.S. That was once the proposed idea for a JURRASSIC PARK 4 and thank God Steven Spielberg canned that idea before it got to far.

But then it could have been worse I suppose. He could have introduced aliens to this franchise. Or maybe he was saving that for number 5?

According to producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, the franchise is now extinct… (via Coming Soon)…

“No… I don’t know. You know, when Crichton passed away, I sorta felt maybe that’s it. Maybe that’s a sign that we don’t mess with it.”

Not only that but I would say the death of visual effects icon Stan Winston must also play it’s part in this decision.

But can a franchise ever really be dead, especially one without an aging lead like this one?

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...is-extinct.php
                            that sounds like something seth green wrote while on shrooms
                            Last Movie Watched
                            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                            Life is Strange

Comment

jp4 would have been <Mod snip> sweet!

http://www.coffeespy.com/hostedimage.../rexinjets.jpg
                              Last edited by Bagpuss; 03 February 2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X