Dyson Sphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyson Sphere

Do you think any race attempted or succeded in building a Dyson Sphere ?

The Ancients are the most likely candidate as they have been around the longest. If they built one it's possible there's no Stargate there otherwise it might have been discovered by now.
    Maybe the Furlings moved to a planet inside a Dyson Sphere and are still living there.

Thoughts ?

EDIT: A Dyson sphere is an enormous sphere constructed around a star to harness it's total energy output.
    For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere
    Last edited by Andru10; 01 December 2008, 09:25 AM.

Any race advanced enough to make a Dyson Sphere wouldn't really need one.

Comment

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what exactly is a Dyson Sphere

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Ads View Post
        Excuse my lack of knowledge but what exactly is a Dyson Sphere
        It's an enormous sphere built around a star to harness its total energy output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Comment

Rather intruiging, I'd imagine the Ancients would be able to sort something out like it

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
            Any race advanced enough to make a Dyson Sphere wouldn't really need one.
            agreed, and in the SG universe, a sheild based, rather than solid dyson sphere would be possible, and all you'd need was enough energy, which could be harnessed from a sun, but then what would the point be? the ancients had ZPMs and i assume any race that could build a dyson sphere already has similar energy resources.
            we know the ancients had a degree of wanderlust similar to that of humans, why would they want to trap themselves inside one star system?
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post

The Ancients are the most likely candidate as they have been around the longest. If they built one it's possible there's no Stargate there otherwise it might have been discovered by now.
              Maybe the Furlings moved to a planet inside a Dyson Sphere and are still living there.

Thoughts ?
              How about the Forerunners , thery made a pretty good Dyson sphere
              Spoiler:
              Halo fans your welcome

but on a serious note, one for earth or atlantis would be useful as a "shield", but not so much now because our enemies don't pose a big threat as they use to.

KEEP IT CLEAN
              Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
              Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                agreed, and in the SG universe, a sheild based, rather than solid dyson sphere would be possible, and all you'd need was enough energy, which could be harnessed from a sun, but then what would the point be? the ancients had ZPMs and i assume any race that could build a dyson sphere already has similar energy resources.
                we know the ancients had a degree of wanderlust similar to that of humans, why would they want to trap themselves inside one star system?
                Quote from Wikipedia: "design variants of the sphere based on orbiting satellites or solar sails do not require any major theoretical breakthroughs in our basic scientific understanding for their construction."
                So, in theory we could build one if Earth devoted all of its resources as well as use the resources of the other planets in our solar systems, moons, asteroids, comets etc. But we don't have the technology to build ZPMs so we are an example of a race which could build a Dyson sphere (albeit in a very very long time) but wouldn't be able to build a ZPM or an equivalent energy source.
                I like your idea about a shield based rather than solid based Dyson sphere. It could be built much faster and the shield would be sustained by the star's energy.
                Technically the Ancients wouldn't trap themselves in a Dyson sphere since they could get out whenever they want through hyperspace or the Stargate.
                To completely isolate a system you could build a shield based Dyson sphere which draws it's power from the star and inside the sphere an Aterro Device that disrupts all hyperspace frequencies (like a spark gap transmitter) in proximity to the solar system.

Comment

you could also use the method of the Ori when building a supergate : 1-10 Priors, 1 open Stargate and whatever they used to generate the shield around the planet.
                  Does someone know how much time it took to englobe the whole planet?
                  La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                  L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post

Thoughts ?
                    what is this?

Comment

A dyson sphere would be awesome. May be somthing the destiny in SGU could encounter. As a introduction to a new race it would be pretty scary.

But earth building a dyson sphere today I think is slightly impossible just the pure amount of resource needed to launch all the rockets would put it beyond our means. I wonder if any one made the calculations on the amount of rockets fuel need to build a dyson sphere.

But I always loved the concept ever since I sure it in ST:NG

Comment

A dyson sphere is a theoretical hollow shere approx 2 Au (1 AU = Distance between Earth and Sun) in diameter which the interior surface would be able to support life because it would be in the 1 AU range from the Sun at all times. You would also have stable weather conditions and no tidal forces as there would be no other gravity sources strong enough to create such an effect.

I don't think that any of the major Stargate races would need such a creation-but saying that I'm sure the Ancients would love to show off their stuff in building one

Comment

maybe similar blocks of ori segments sort of thing could help take the suns output

likely it be made of naquada to absorb the energy

(dyson - thats a vacuum cleaner lol, and they just made a sphere cleaner to help go around corners)
                          sigpic

Comment

Hhahahahahhahahahahahaha LOL Vacuum Cleaner

Comment

LOL When i saw the thread i though it was going to be about the vacuum cleaner!

If the Ori had vacuum cleaner, I think thats what they'd look like !!!
                              A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X