This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC to remake 'Day Of The Triffids'

The BBC has announced that it is to remake sci-fi classic The Day Of The Triffids.

The story, based on the 1951 novel by John Wyndham, sees the Earth using fictional plants called Triffids as an alternative to fossil fuels. However, the plants escape and begin a campaign of terror.

The novel was originally made into a 1962 movie starring Howard Keel before the BBC adapted it into four TV dramas between 1971 and 1981.

"The Day Of The Triffids is a classic title. I'm excited that its powerful story is being remade for television. We're hoping to attract a legion of fans as well as give nightmares to a new generation of viewers," said Julie Gardner, head of drama for BBC Wales.

Law & Order writer Patrick Harbinson will pen the script for the production, which will be set in 2011.

It will be broadcast in two feature-length episodes next year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a1369...-triffids.html

Sounds interesting, lets hope they do a good job with it and not release another poor remake.

Comment

I always found this story pretty funny more than series. And well never could watch the other seriously.
      But given what they have done with the brilliant survivors series which they have now shown, I will see what they can do with this story.

Comment

Oh joy. Another remake, or reimagining, or retread, or sequel...no new ideas from the Beeb (or the big film studios, for that matter...but that's another rant).

Anybody else suffering from Remake Fatigue Syndrome?
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
          Oh joy. Another remake, or reimagining, or retread, or sequel...no new ideas from the Beeb (or the big film studios, for that matter...but that's another rant).

In the forms of films yes. TV series honestly no because their still enough new ideas coming out.
          Well and they produce more original stuff than ITV.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            In the forms of films yes. TV series honestly no because their still enough new ideas coming out.
            Well and they produce more original stuff than ITV.
            Those are fair points. Maybe it's just that my movie-related RFS is so severe the mere mention of the word 'remake' gives me a headache...

Then again, I shouldn't really moan anyway - I don't watch BBC, except for Who.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post

Apparitions isn't a remake and is a damn fine BBC supernatural drama.

Spooks isn't a remale and is a damn fine BBC spy drama.

Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes aren't remakes and are damn fine sci fi dramas.

Day of The Triffids is a book, and thus, a new tv series based on it isn't a remake, it's another adaptation, one that hopefully will be fantastic.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                Apparitions isn't a remake and is a damn fine BBC supernatural drama.

Spooks isn't a remale and is a damn fine BBC spy drama.

Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes aren't remakes and are damn fine sci fi dramas.

Day of The Triffids is a book, and thus, a new tv series based on it isn't a remake, it's another adaptation, one that hopefully will be fantastic.
                Fair enough. However, might I point out:

Survivors (remake...and not particularly good IMO)

Merlin (hardly a new idea - haven't seen it so can't comment on quality)

Robin Hood (not new, quality not brilliant from what little I've seen)

Doctor Who (okay, not actually a remake, but it isn't an entirely new series, even if it is very high quality, and gave us Torchwood)

...and these are just the immediate ones that sprang to mind.

I think I didn't explain my reason well enough - apologies. My point is, this is the source of my negativity. It seems to me, especially in terms of film, and increasingly in terms of television, that the media in general seems far more interested than ever in simply extending and reworking existing franchises and titles, and rarely actually trying something new. And I think this needs to change soon.

With luck, Triffids will be worth watching. But I still think it might be a better idea to try something new.
                sigpic

Comment

I hope my favourite killer plants are done better than the BBC's other poor and contrived sci-fi and fantasy series (with the exception of Survivors and Apparations)..
                  Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                  Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

I haven't seen Survivors, so I can't comment, but I've enjoyed the rest of BBC's Sci Fi shows.

The Quatermass Experiment (remake) was amazing, and I know Doctor Who is a bit marmiteish, but the fact it's done so well proves more people enjoy it than hate it. Torchwood I personally enjoy, but I understand why some might not. But Life on Mars is just pure quality.

Which other sci fi shows are you referring to?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Stars cast for 'Triffids' two-parter
                      Wednesday, February 11 2009, 16:08 GMT

By Mayer Nissim

The BBC has announced an all-star cast for its new adaptation of John Wyndham's classic science fiction novel The Day Of The Triffids.

Dougray Scott, Joely Richardson, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave, Eddie Izzard and Jason Priestly will star in the two-part drama, which has been adapted for the screen by Patrick Harbinson.

The programme is being produced for the BBC by Power and Prodigy Pictures.

Power executive Justin Bodle said: "We are enormously excited to have secured this stellar cast for The Day Of The Triffids.

"Together with its amazing effects and iconic locations, it will deliver the drama mini-series event of 2009."

Scott will play Bill Masen in the production, while Richardson will take on the role of Jo Playton.

Dennis Masen will be played by Cox and Durrant, Torrence and Coker will be portrayed by Redgrave, Izzard and Priestly respectively.

Last year, it emerged that Steven Spielberg had purchased the movie rights to another of Wyndam's novels, Chocky.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14...wo-parter.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        I haven't seen Survivors, so I can't comment, but I've enjoyed the rest of BBC's Sci Fi shows.

The Quatermass Experiment (remake) was amazing, and I know Doctor Who is a bit marmiteish, but the fact it's done so well proves more people enjoy it than hate it. Torchwood I personally enjoy, but I understand why some might not. But Life on Mars is just pure quality.

Which other sci fi shows are you referring to?
                        I'll respectfully just say I disagree with ya, if you REALLY want to know ill pm you, but iv found whenever I voice critical opinions about that dr who series, people seem to come down on me like a ton of bricks (to be fair, it might just be the way I write them, im not always the best at writing opinions about things I dont like much). But from what iv read of you on this forum I respect your viewpoints and opinions even if I may disagree sometimes - ya dig ?
                        Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                        Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Working...
                        X