• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screenrant: SG movies coming to Sci-Fi Channel

Stargate Movies Coming To Sci-Fi Channel

http://screenrant.com/stargate-movie...-brusimm-4296/

excerpt:

So if the confusion is clearing up a little bit, would now be a good
    time to mention that the Sci-Fi Channel has purchased the U.S.
    television rights to televise the made-for-DVD movies? Yep. That's
    what they did. This purchase also includes rights to the new
    upcoming series, Stargate: Universe.

With the rights under their belts, the Sci-Fi Channel is planning to
    air the DVD movies next season as Sunday night movie events.

The senior VP of programming for Sci-Fi, Thomas Vitale, says their
    plans are to show Stargate: Ark of Truth, in early spring, and
    Stargate: Continuum, late in the spring.

Tentative plans are for Stargate: Universe to air in July 2009.

Additionally, Sci-Fi ordered from MGM an SG: Atlantis TV movie to
    follow up after Atlantis` 100th and final episode. We probably won't
    see that movie until near the end of next year and it will most
    likely be a filler for when Universe takes a mid-season break.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

So if SGU came with a package deal of SG-1 movies and an exclusive SGA movie, it would make me think SGA would of most likely been renewed. My reasoning Here is it seems MGM had to really sell SGU to them and offered more in order to execute this so called mutual agreement. SCI FI also trusts Brad Wright and co. so they are giving them a shot. I still think it is a very risky move to let go of an already successful show, Stargate Atlantis to make room for an uncertain one. Yes it's cheaper but so is a penny stock, and I am sure everyone is making a lot of money in the stock market now. It is not a gurantee that all shows will make it on SCI FI, unless SGU has a budget like Sanctuary then it can have lower ratings like Sanctuary does now.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      So if SGU came with a package deal of SG-1 movies and an exclusive SGA movie, it would make me think SGA would of most likely been renewed. My reasoning Here is it seems MGM had to really sell SGU to them and offered more in order to execute this so called mutual agreement. SCI FI also trusts Brad Wright and co. so they are giving them a shot. I still think it is a very risky move to let go of an already successful show, Stargate Atlantis to make room for an uncertain one. Yes it's cheaper but so is a penny stock, and I am sure everyone is making a lot of money in the stock market now. It is not a gurantee that all shows will make it on SCI FI, unless SGU has a budget like Sanctuary then it can have lower ratings like Sanctuary does now.
      ANd MGm/SciFi also probably just thought, hey, new unknown actors. we'll keep 'em for five years on a contract then fire them all...

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        ANd MGm/SciFi also probably just thought, hey, new unknown actors. we'll keep 'em for five years on a contract then fire them all...
        I wish I was in that room during the confrence call. You and I both know SCI FI did not have intentions of letting SGA go. I'm not going to shut up about it either because after reading this and that and talking to folks in the industry, it is so obvious.
        sigpic

Comment

I wish I was in that room during the confrence call. You and I both know SCI FI did not have intentions of letting SGA go. I'm not going to shut up about it either because after reading this and that and talking to folks in the industry, it is so obvious.
          But I'm sure scifi was happy with a new Stargate show too, one that would be cheaper. however, they also seemed stupid enough to think any stargate would placate the fans. I can't recall the exec's exact quote, something about stargate fans 'needing a fix,' so.... the Skiffy folks aren't exactly victims in this fiasco..

Comment

... because after reading this ...
            For the record, let's recognize that the new Screenrant article is not based on anything new. They saw the same press release(s) and Multichannel article(s) that we did, and finally got around to running something on it.

I think the implied link here between the SGU pick-up and the Atlantis movies is being assumed by the author. Not to say it's definitely not how the discussions went behind closed doors -- but as you aluded to, Brian, none of us were there. We don't know how it went down.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

I think the implied link here between the SGU pick-up and the Atlantis movies is being assumed by the author. Not to say it's definitely not how the discussions went behind closed doors -- but as you aluded to, Brian, none of us were there. We don't know how it went down.
              I know, I wish I was though. Because a top 3 show for a network usually does not get the axe.
              sigpic

Comment

But I'm sure scifi was happy with a new Stargate show too, one that would be cheaper. however, they also seemed stupid enough to think any stargate would placate the fans. I can't recall the exec's exact quote, something about stargate fans 'needing a fix,' so.... the Skiffy folks aren't exactly victims in this fiasco..
                I'm in a Catch 22 with SGU. Part of me wants it to do well if it's a good show, but another part of me wants it to crash and burn because it replaced SGA. Maybe if they ran SGA for one last season, announcing it as the last and let it run along SGU there could of been a softer turnover. Some folks were comparing how SGA is failing because it is not running along a new series like SG-1 did when SGA came onto the scene. Problem is MGM did not have movies as well as 2 series in the pot. After the success of the SG-1 movies I don't blame MGM for wanting more. So 2 out of 2 would of worked, but not 3 out of 3. Someone had to taken out of the overflowing pot and that was SGA. Why? Well not performance, but production cost wise. As you said a brand new series with brand new actors costs less than a show going into it's 6th season.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm in a Catch 22 with SGU. Part of me wants it to do well if it's a good show, but another part of me wants it to crash and burn because it replaced SGA. Maybe if they ran SGA for one last season, announcing it as the last and let it run along SGU there could of been a softer turnover. Some folks were comparing how SGA is failing because it is not running along a new series like SG-1 did when SGA came onto the scene. Problem is MGM did not have movies as well as 2 series in the pot. After the success of the SG-1 movies I don't blame MGM for wanting more. So 2 out of 2 would of worked, but not 3 out of 3. Someone had to taken out of the overflowing pot and that was SGA. Why? Well not performance, but production cost wise. As you said a brand new series with brand new actors costs less than a show going into it's 6th season.
                  The problem is that most of the problems with any of the SG shows has been the writing. And you're going to have the same people writing SGU. It's all about cost for MGM - it's a business, after all - but more and more fans are saying (on various boards) that once SGA is over, that's it. They'll watch the movies but not bother with SGU. If they were smart, they'd say SGU will last xxx years, and be done with it, then start another one, but then again, SGU could easily tank in the ratings too, so no use making a commitment.

And more and more studios are skewing young. Just read they're making a teenage version of X-MEN. SIgh....

Comment

The problem is that most of the problems with any of the SG shows has been the writing. And you're going to have the same people writing SGU. It's all about cost for MGM - it's a business, after all - but more and more fans are saying (on various boards) that once SGA is over, that's it. They'll watch the movies but not bother with SGU. If they were smart, they'd say SGU will last xxx years, and be done with it, then start another one, but then again, SGU could easily tank in the ratings too, so no use making a commitment.

And more and more studios are skewing young. Just read they're making a teenage version of X-MEN. SIgh....
                    I don't necessarily think the writing has been a problem, just that they've written without a long-term plan. I always like JMS's approach with Babylon 5 - he had an idea of where he was going to go over a five-year arc and if something were to happen with an actor then he would leave back doors open for that character. I think that shows like Battlestar Galactica and Atlantis need to take a similar approach. The writers need to sit down, plan a long term plot and say "this is where we are now with the story and characters, and this iswhere we plan going with our characters." They should at least do that for the characters themselves and say "this is what makes them tick and this is how we'll reveal it over the course of the series."

This season of Atlantis, at least for me, has proven that the writers still have what it takes to make good, classic Stargate (and sci-fi) stories. I think that if the writers take that formula and apply it to a long-term plan, rather than making everything up as they go, that SGU could possibly be really good.

And I do wish people would stop saying "I want SGU to crash and burn because it replaced Atlantis." SGU didn't replace Atlantis. The wrtiers started concepting SGU more than a year ago (if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd put a wager on the fact that Sci-fi would have canceled Atlantis either way, Universe or no Universe.
                    That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
                      I don't necessarily think the writing has been a problem, just that they've written without a long-term plan. I always like JMS's approach with Babylon 5 - he had an idea of where he was going to go over a five-year arc and if something were to happen with an actor then he would leave back doors open for that character. I think that shows like Battlestar Galactica and Atlantis need to take a similar approach. The writers need to sit down, plan a long term plot and say "this is where we are now with the story and characters, and this iswhere we plan going with our characters." They should at least do that for the characters themselves and say "this is what makes them tick and this is how we'll reveal it over the course of the series."

This season of Atlantis, at least for me, has proven that the writers still have what it takes to make good, classic Stargate (and sci-fi) stories. I think that if the writers take that formula and apply it to a long-term plan, rather than making everything up as they go, that SGU could possibly be really good.

And I do wish people would stop saying "I want SGU to crash and burn because it replaced Atlantis." SGU didn't replace Atlantis. The wrtiers started concepting SGU more than a year ago (if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd put a wager on the fact that Sci-fi would have canceled Atlantis either way, Universe or no Universe.
                      Well, writing without a long-term idea of what they're doing is a problem in the writing I find that the seasons are like an EKG strip, up and down in quality. You get great eps like "The Shrine," and then recycled yawnable material such as "Inquisition." There's never been any long-term idea, and their reasoning that 'well, we get renewed every year', just doesn't wash. Every single show on TV is in the same situation, yet many do quite well, or get axed early leaving fans wanting, but that's the nature of the business. And when show's writers copy old scripts, fans DO notice, not just with Stargate. When a Mod Squad got recycled into a Charlie's Angels, well, hey, lots of people noticed and complained to the network. Ditto with a Riptide into a Sonny Spoon (and I'll be no one knows what shows I'm talking about)

If SGU wasn't in the works, it's debatable if SGA would have been axed, Probably not. The ratings are not bad, and with no replacement SG in the works, Skiffy/MGm aren't ready to lose this franchise.

I don't care much way or the other about SGU at this point. Unless there are some drastic changes off the character sides that showed up online, and the show is not popular with 20-year-olds, the show isn't for me. I like Stargate, but I'd like some maturity (in age, if nothing else) in the characters. I think Carl Binder is the best writer of the bunch (having seen his work in other shows) whereas... some others have only had experience writing, er, cartoons...

Comment

And I do wish people would stop saying "I want SGU to crash and burn because it replaced Atlantis." SGU didn't replace Atlantis. The wrtiers started concepting SGU more than a year ago (if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong.
                        Atlantis was offed to make way for SGU

I'd put a wager on the fact that Sci-fi would have canceled Atlantis either way, Universe or no Universe.
                        um no SCI FI would've probably renewed Atlantis
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

They make up such an insignificant amount of the viewership, let alone neilsen box owners that it shouldn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            They make up such an insignificant amount of the viewership, let alone neilsen box owners that it shouldn't matter.
                            it's the younger demographic, who doesn't save, who squanders money, and that's who MGM/scifi wants..

Comment

it's the younger demographic, who doesn't save, who squanders money, and that's who MGM/scifi wants..
                              Come on now. SGU is going to be awesome, because the producers said so.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X