Ancient vs Asuran Aurora class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient vs Asuran Aurora class

I've just watched the battle of Asuras again and am wondering if it was merely a function of having to make a show where the tauri-wraith-traveler alliance didnt get their butts whooped or if the Asuran built ships are inferior to those of the ancients due to mass production or something because we know the only reason the ancients lost was because their ships were out numbered yet with a two on one advantage they only destroyed two ships.

One would assume that the shields were inferior at least as they don't seem to have any effect on the asgard plasma beam weapon despite the fact that we know ancient shields were arguably the most advanced but the real thing I noticed was the drones of the traveler Aurora class ship went straight through which is unfeasable that their shields cant protect them from their own weapons and even the traveler ship weapons were penetrating and considering the condition and size of those ships thats also slightly unbelievable.

Stargate Wikia mentioned this one. They said that there were 3 types of Aurora

1, Early War Version AKA Asuran Auroras (Bigger and less powerful)

2, Mid War Aurora's AKA The Travelers Aurora (In the middle with a different/smaller bridge, slightly more powerful shields)

3, Late War Aurora AKA Hippaforalkus/Tria (Smaller in size with more chairs on the bridge and more powerful shields-Stargate Wikia calls them luxury versions)

Lets not forget that the war lasted 100 years and that upgrades were bound to happen eg Shields became more powerful, drone became even more deadly, hyperdrives may have been souped up etc etc etc. I think this explaination fits nicely but Asgard plasma beams would still clobber any of the Aurora Refits with the Later War refit probably taking at least 3-4 hits and any ZPM enhanced ships taking more hits than normal.

Comment

Yes i'd read that too and i'd argue that drone weapons don't appear to have changed what with the wraith having no shields there would be no point in upgrades. While there's is a difference in aurora class ships we still know that one aurora from the beginning of the war aka the asuran auroras was superior to the wraith ships so the point I was making was if you believe that the asurans made those ships to full specs even if they were an early version the shields should still have been more effective than they were they didnt suddenly jump from useless to great in 100 years these are the ancients we're talking about and the huge number of ships in the battle should have meant it wasn't so one sided as there were only three superior ships facing them. So it must have been a function of the requirements of the show.

Comment

They probably found away to decrease the amount of drones being used (either by increasing firepower or targeting systems). At least the larger Lantean/Asuran starships could be equiped with a ZedPM which we know is cannon. My theory why the Asurans got whooped was because they originally class the Taur'i as a low level threat and did not need to soup their ships up. My bet is that when they recalled their ships back to Asuras they were going to start equiping them with ZedPMs in order to better handle the Daedy and Apollo. The battle just showed how much of a beating you can take when you are completely suprised-think about it-What are the chances that you would be attacked by 2 very powerful Taur'i ships, 7 Wraith Hives, 6 Traveler Vessels (Which they had never encountered before) and an Upgraded Aurora class starship. The Asurans had no idea that they were going to be hit by that^-if they did you would see all their ships including the smaller support cruisers ZedPM'd and ready to fight with a couple of insurance ships ready to flee at the first sign of defeat. They also did not expect them to try and blow up their planet! Basically the Battle Of Asuras was one where the Asurans were caught with their shields down as

1, They didn't think that they were going to be attacked
        2, They had no idea about what the Alliance was packing
        3, The thought of their planet being destroyed never occurred to them-Which sorta makes them dumber than the other replicators as they always managed to survive.

Comment

The Asuran fleet must have been really unprepared. They were kicking Wraith butt before that episode but their 30 ship fleet only managed to destroy one Hive ship. Also, in "Lifeline," the Apollo's missiles and railgun did nothing against a much smaller Asuran ship but in this battle, even the 302's were inflicting heavy damage on the Asuran ships.

Comment

That battle was ridiculous. As someone has mentioned it is likely Ancient technology progressed during the war, its possible the Asurans only had specs on the older Aurora classes not the newer versions.

If you look at what the Traveler Aurora did to an Asuran one its pretty obvious the Ancient one is more powerful. We also know a barely functional Aurora (the Orion) can decapitate a Hive ship in seconds, if the Asuran versions were really up to spec all the Hives would have been destroyed in seconds.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
              Stargate Wikia mentioned this one. They said that there were 3 types of Aurora

1, Early War Version AKA Asuran Auroras (Bigger and less powerful)

2, Mid War Aurora's AKA The Travelers Aurora (In the middle with a different/smaller bridge, slightly more powerful shields)

3, Late War Aurora AKA Hippaforalkus/Tria (Smaller in size with more chairs on the bridge and more powerful shields-Stargate Wikia calls them luxury versions)

Lets not forget that the war lasted 100 years and that upgrades were bound to happen eg Shields became more powerful, drone became even more deadly, hyperdrives may have been souped up etc etc etc. I think this explaination fits nicely but Asgard plasma beams would still clobber any of the Aurora Refits with the Later War refit probably taking at least 3-4 hits and any ZPM enhanced ships taking more hits than normal.
              ancient whould win . youst see the drone number each shop fires?

ancient fires much more then the asurans

Comment

Actually we have never seen the Ancients firing drones-only we have used 1000's in one go!

Look at the Traveler Aurora firing a spread of drones with the Asuran Aurora following suit.

Comment

Ten thousand. If we go by "Echoes".

Comment

In seige part whatever Sheppard explained to Everett that within 100 years the galaxy went from Lantean to Wraith.

Comment

In seige part whatever Sheppard explained to Everett that within 100 years the galaxy went from Lantean to Wraith.
                      Which siege? If so, then we can ignore the Ehoes statement as a heat of the moment thing.

Comment

I cant remember which Siege part it was but I remember Sheppard taking Everett to the Holo room thingy and he showed him a map of Pegasus.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Lantean-Wraith_war

Comment

I cant remember which Siege part it was but I remember Sheppard taking Everett to the Holo room thingy and he showed him a map of Pegasus.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Lantean-Wraith_war
                          That would be the Siege where everet just came thought- the second one.

Comment

Siege part 2

Comment

Siege part 2
                              I know. I followed up my briliant deduction. It was 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X