This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi's "Estate of Panic"

The show looks worthless, but my gawd, this review is so funny!

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=32&cs=1

Estate of Panic

(Series -- Sci Fi Channel, Wed. Nov. 12, 10 p.m.) Produced by Endemol USA. Executive producer, Richard Hall; co-executive producer, Alex Rader.

Host: Steve Valentine.

By BRIAN LOWRY

Look, let's be honest about this: Unless a network decides that it's willing to kill contestants -- and I'm pretty sure even those 50-page waivers don't cover that -- the idea of a haunted-house competition show lacks a certain sense of peril and suspense. So it is with "Estate of Panic," Sci Fi's stab at "House on Haunted Hill" meets "Fear Factor," which precedes the CW's upcoming "13: The Fear Is Real." Simple-minded players endure a parade of silly stunts and contests, but this cheeky hour is mostly an ordeal for viewers.
    As in "Fear Factor," Endemol USA pushes the torture-the-players line about as far as it can, but even all that dramatic music (and yikes, does it work overtime) can't elevate this premise beyond a pretty good run through a theme-park horror maze.

Seemingly determined to channel Vincent Price, host Steve Valentine vamps it up and then some as the show's mwa-ha-HAH host. As for the seven aspiring SAG members (er, sorry, participants) -- who play off to a single winner in each hour -- they immediately dive into challenges such as seeing how much money they can retrieve in a room rapidly filling with water (and snakes!) or from a spooky garden where they're subjected to electric shocks.

The snakes aren't poisonous, and the producers seem unwilling to drown someone. Other than maybe choking on all the smoke effects, where exactly is the panic in that?

REST AT LINK ABOVE

OMG it's so funny!

Watching these idiots scrounge around for money!

The screaming!!! AHHHH a snake ahhhhhh

The wet people in the dark getting little shocks from a bunch of wires! *Snort*

Oh Gawd the room with the ceiling coming down, the crabs and snakes and the crap breaking!

Ahhh a snake oh the water!

Greed is Good! it has no useful qualities just a way to kill an hour...and laugh your booty off!
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I know I won't be watching this. I have no interest.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hmm, this sounds eerily (pardon the pun) like that Halloween 3 movie??? Geez, scraping the bottom of the barrel skiffy...

Comment

not going to waste my time..
          My Story:
          http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

I stumbled across this the other day and saw the part in the kitchen with the fake, sticky floor. That was a pretty cool idea, actually.

Comment

was channeling thru the tv and came across the 1st ep and didn't realize what it was. I was pleasantly suprised. The commercials have it all wrong. I had thought it was a something similar to ghost hunters or a bad horror movie. But instead it's a decently paced game show. Much better than most on today (primarily because it moves along at more than a snails pace).

If they toned down the screaming and that ridiculous music, and advertised it as a decent game show they'd have something I'd watch more often.
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Yeah. It surprised me too.

Comment

Working...
                X