Asgard Hyderdrives and ours after Unending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Hyderdrives and ours after Unending

Been thinking about this since last night, I have been re-watching Atlantis and the Episode Misbegotten. Weir was talking to woolsey about going back to Atlantis and it was mentioned they had put a call into the Asgard and there travel time should be cut by 2 weeks, As Weir Stated.

Ok fair enought the Asgard are vastley superior to us and nearly all our technology in relation to space travel is based on theres, So it stands to reason after unending when we are given the asgard knowledge and have some of it intergrated into our 304's besides the beam weapon upgrades the hyderdrives should be aswell. Up until unending it was taking much longer to travel between Galaxies for us that the Asgard, And as seen in Unatural Selection is takes them hours to get to Ida from the Milky Way.

So why havent our Hyperdrives been upgraded to maybe not match what the Asgard had but atleast cut our hyperspace travel time down considerably

Hope this makes sense, thoughts?

Well I can only think of one ... POWER, we know that the Delly can go from earth to atlantis in 4 days with a ZPM, and that asgaard do have more power in there ship.

But I can´t see why they don´t use the oddy to run to atlantis and back since t got a ZPM (clock, Beam and fast hyberdrive)
    Shows I see:Stargate, Bones, Fringe, Supernatural, V 2009, Top gear, Criminal Minds, Sanctuary
    Things I like:Kids, My wife, My god old Ferrari, My(wife´s) Audi RS4, Intel PC

Comment

The O'Neill is many times the size of earth ships. Plus, Thor had the Prometheus in tow in "Unatural Selection," Asgard ships have shown the ability to travel from Ida to the Milky Way in minutes as seen in "Small Victories."

Comment

well, actually we can go as fast as the asgard but only when we have a zpm. well technically we dont need as much power as a zpm provides just eneough to be equivilant to an NIG. thats because the deadalus using regular power generation makes the trip in 18 days. but an asgard ship makes the trip in 2 weeks faster than us making it 4 days( 18-14=4) . however, with a zpm we can make the trip in 4 days so technically we have one of their fastest hyperdrives, but lack the power to reach maximum speed.

also in regards to thors trip in promethius unbound, his hyperdrive must be of a different more advanced design because according to my calcuations, he shoould be able to make the trip in 1 hour and 21 minutes, thats provided the distance between pegasus and earth is about 3 million lighyears,which it should be.( i made the calculations in this thread here- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ghlight=theory)
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
          well, actually we can go as fast as the asgard but only when we have a zpm. well technically we dont need as much power as a zpm provides just eneough to be equivilant to an NIG. thats because the deadalus using regular power generation makes the trip in 18 days. but an asgard ship makes the trip in 2 weeks faster than us making it 4 days( 18-14=4) . however, with a zpm we can make the trip in 4 days so technically we have one of their fastest hyperdrives, but lack the power to reach maximum speed.

also in regards to thors trip in promethius unbound, his hyperdrive must be of a different more advanced design because according to my calcuations, he shoould be able to make the trip in 1 hour and 21 minutes, thats provided the distance between pegasus and earth is about 3 million lighyears,which it should be.( i made the calculations in this thread here- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ghlight=theory)
          So if its a matter of power without a ZPM

Very Nice Calculations btw

Comment

technically a 304 generates the power of 1 NIG. why?

asgard ship: 4x NIG, 4 days to pegasus
            304 with ZPM: 4 days to pegasus
            304 without ZPM: 18 days [about 4x slower]

so 4 nigs/4= 1 nig of power

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              technically a 304 generates the power of 1 NIG. why?

asgard ship: 4x NIG, 4 days to pegasus
              304 with ZPM: 4 days to pegasus
              304 without ZPM: 18 days [about 4x slower]

so 4 nigs/4= 1 nig of power

Ah so that explains why without a ZPM we take so long to travel as apose to the asgard.

So really to cut travel time down we would have to create a larger ship(o'niell size) and fit 4 powersource's of NIG capacity.

sounds abit much just to cut the travel time down come to think of it ll

Comment

an easy idea is take a new 304, give it 2 hyperdrives, and add two really large Naquahdah reactors.

the only thing that bugs me is: if a ship thats the SIZE of a NIG, can already generate the power of one, why do the asgard even USE them? i dont get it.

Comment

an easy idea is take a new 304, give it 2 hyperdrives, and add two really large Naquahdah reactors.

the only thing that bugs me is: if a ship thats the SIZE of a NIG, can already generate the power of one, why do the asgard even USE them? i dont get it.
                  for the looks?

Comment

the only thing i can think of is fuel. a dice made from neutronium could probably power an oneill for a year

Comment

It is a possibility but you would have to know what measurements power the NiG's and for how long

Comment

buba once calculated the energy released by 50 KG of neutronium. then i calculated it could power a NIG for 3 days. 1500KG could power a nig for a year. and then we havent calculated the size of such a brick

Comment

What I wonder is if there's a limit to how much power you can pump into an Asgard Hyperdrive engine.
                          Say all of a sudden either the SGC or Atlantis was to find a ZPM factory (if such a thing exists ) and could make as many ZPMs as they wanted, or Area 51 was to make some uber power source of it's own.

If you plugged say 6 ZPMs into the Daedalus would or could it's Hyperdrive engines overload?
                          Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 11 November 2008, 09:59 AM.

Comment

no. the ZPM's only give as much power as needed. a ZPM is not nessecary, its just easy to amp up the powersource so your systems work at max.

the limit lies at max speed, which would be around MW-P in 3 days

Comment

no. the ZPM's only give as much power as needed. a ZPM is not nessecary, its just easy to amp up the powersource so your systems work at max.

the limit lies at max speed, which would be around MW-P in 3 days

There has to be a limit to just how much power an Asgard or any Hyperdrive engine can take though.
                              I suppose the Asgard probably built fail safes into their engines that cap the power being taking into the drive once it reaches a certain point.

Also I don't think it's ever been said in any episode of SG1 or SGA that there is a maximum Hyperspace speed or physical limit to how fast you can travel, you're just limited by the amount of power you can generate.

Comment

Working...
                              X