This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Crichton has died

Prolific novelist and "ER" creator Michael Crichton has passed away. He was 66.

Perhaps best known for being the author of Jurassic Park and its sequel The Lost World, which were turned into a hugely successful movie franchise, his numerous books have sold over 150 million copies worldwide.
    http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/11/67369/
    it's weird, i was talking about his work earlier today, and i came home to find this in my e-mail. i love those books the movies were okay, especially the first.

and now the slightly tasteless joke...
    Spoiler:
    in 65 million years they can dig up his DNA and make "Writer's Park" where guys chase you around with sharp pens!!!
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

the man who got me into reading.
    jurassic park came out when i was in 6th grade. haven't looked back since.

the man was awesome. a magnificent story teller.

please, please, don't ever judge him by the movies. with the exception of the original Jurassic Park, every movie that has been made from one of his books has been an absolute abomination that makes it indecent to even claim it has ties with such great works of fiction.

you will be missed.

Comment

The title says it all - I think, even when I think about some "worse" adaptations of his books, that he was a great writer and this is a big shame.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/...ton/index.html

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Wow, I don't even know what to say. That is such a shame. Well, may he RIP.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

May he RIP. This is a big loss.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Ummm that's for "NEXT" comes to mind, but seriouslly I hate to hear that. He gave us a ton of great entertainment. On the TV side ER is a major one of his sucesses. Not to mention it's based on his own experiences as an intern and resident in Chicago (I think?) and how many lives must he have saved as a physicain?

On the book/movie side Sphere, Congo, Eaters of the Dead (The 13th Warior) Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Timeline testify to his genuis. Wow, I didn't even know he was sick

That's a real shame.
            Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

I have to agree with you there. I made jokes in the other thread (that's how I deal with emotion) but I loved Crichton's work. The first book of his I read Congo was SOOOO much better than the movie. As was Sphere. I've been meaning to read more of his work for awhile now. He really was a genuis, and I was shocked that he was sick, much less had died from a battle with cancer

And I said "That's for NEXT" which I didn't really care for, but I get the message he was trying to get accross with that book. Kind of like Koont's "DOOR TO HEAVEN".
              Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Working...
              X