Tweaking the asgard plasma beam weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweaking the asgard plasma beam weapons

Do you think it's possible to tweak the asgard plasma beam weapons so that the plasma beams are guided? It would have to be by a magnetic field so the question is how would you project the magnetic field across space?

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Possible, if not probable. I supposed there might be info in the Asgard core or in an Acnient repository/Atlantis to accomplish this; but if it exists, we don't know about it yet or have yet to come across it.

Comment

Remember that video game Raiden where the power upgrades would give you different kinds of Lazers and Bombs and such, there was a Beam weapon that actually bent, Im thinking this is what you mean, so that its not streaming in one definite direction. That would be awesome. Would be much more useful in a battle
      "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
      "Yes, I was there."
      "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
      "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
      "No I was chus wondring"
      "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

Why would they need to be bent? They have always hit their target except the first time Daedalus went against Michael's cruiser. If that thing could dodge the weapons, then why not the weapon's magnetic guidance fields?
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Since the beam has some duration maybe it'd be best to sweep it around (like star trek) or those smaller beam on the exalibur to cut things in half.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
            Why would they need to be bent? They have always hit their target except the first time Daedalus went against Michael's cruiser. If that thing could dodge the weapons, then why not the weapon's magnetic guidance fields?
            Because if the ship is able to dodge the plasma beam, then you can redirect it back towards the target. This would also allow you to hit a target behind you because you could fire, then direct it around the ship, then after it clears your ship you set it on course with the enemy ship.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Although it would be kewl if the beams could "track" as it where, i dont belive it would be a good idea to do it anyway, for one i think it would get to a point of diminishing returns I think the beam would start to loose integrity and therefore power and is a cruiser could keep dancing around for a bit....

second, is that i belive the beam when comming out the shields of the 304 causes fluctations in the shields (I cant remember what thread i saw that is, but im sure it was said to have come from an episode) so if the beam was to not suffer from diminishing returns it would need to be continuiasly fired whilst "tracking" and there for would create a weak spot on the 304's defence.

Also I personally think the Asgard Uber beams and way to powerfull for the humans anyways and if they could track it would make the weapons nearly unstopabble!!!!

(PS soz for my rubbish spelling lol)
              A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by razzel_daxxel View Post
                i think it would get to a point of diminishing returns I think the beam would start to loose integrity and therefore power and is a cruiser could keep dancing around for a bit...
                Not if you could project the magnetic field so that it forms like a barrel around the plasma keeping the beam radius constant.

Originally posted by razzel_daxxel
                i belive the beam when comming out the shields of the 304 causes fluctations in the shields (I cant remember what thread i saw that is, but im sure it was said to have come from an episode) so if the beam was to not suffer from diminishing returns it would need to be continuiasly fired whilst "tracking" and there for would create a weak spot on the 304's defence.
                I think that was only the case with the ori ships. There have been no indications that when we fire our beam weapons there is a fluctuation in the shields.

Best Stargate quote:
                Green is your friend.

Comment

what i think would be the best idea ever, would be to make "portable" plasma beam weapon platforms.

when you see the enemy, raise your shields, fire off some of the platofrms that manouvre to be near the enemy with independant firing mechanisims that can fire on their own or be directed to attack specific targets per their originating ship.

hell we have seen the replicators do something akin to this with a stargate in the SGA epi 2 parter where they move the city to a diff planet. something akin to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
                    what i think would be the best idea ever, would be to make "portable" plasma beam weapon platforms.
                    Define portable

Originally posted by Murzin
                    hell we have seen the replicators do something akin to this with a stargate in the SGA epi 2 parter where they move the city to a diff planet. something akin to that.
                    They reaimed the satellite to hit atlantis. They didnt fire it out and then magically redirect the fire towards atlantis.

Best Stargate quote:
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                      Do you think it's possible to tweak the asgard plasma beam weapons so that the plasma beams are guided? It would have to be by a magnetic field so the question is how would you project the magnetic field across space?
                      I think it's possible with standard real world plasma so why not with the fantasy science fiction Asgard Plasma Beams.
                      If it worked in the way that ASAKATA mentioned that would be so cool.
                      Say you're traveling to a planet where you know there will be a Wraith Hive culling a planet, you mark the ships position with your long range sensors, you could drop out of hyperspace on the opposite side of the planet and open up on the Hive, before it knew what had hit it it'd be gone.
                      This kind of thing could be especially good if you had multiple Hives or even dozens of Cruisers to take out in a short space of time.
                      Also if Earth ever installs the Asgard weapons on Atlantis why not just add a few of the magnetically guided ones for an instant multi directional replacement to the Drones if they ever run out?

This is a sweet idea yours freyr's mother.

Comment

I think that would be really usefull against the wraith, because the plasma beam usualy passes straight through the hive and keeps going, if you could guide the beam to hit multiple hives or the same hive multiple times it would be awesome because that's the one advantage drones have over beam weapons

Comment

ever thought of making an ASGARD based drone? i mean, the asgard could make it, they just swore to energy weapons

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            ever thought of making an ASGARD based drone? i mean, the asgard could make it, they just swore to energy weapons
                            The Asgard could probably create drones but I think the firing mechanisms etc...are probably pretty complicated and beyond us. Other wise we could be using them already.

Our Asgard beam weapons are uber enough as it is, not need to make them follow their targets or have them accompanied by swarms of Asgard shaped drones. We have enough wank tech.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

i think the asgard would be able to make a drone atleast as effective in every area of an ancient one xcept the neural interface. never really saw that kind of tech. tough some kind of repli AI-inspired AI would do the trick too. or we just use gamechairs or our own neural interface.

buba we dont have em cause the beams are enough

Comment

Working...
                              X