This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routh: 'Superman shouldn't be darker'

Superman should not develop a dark side in his next big screen appearance, Brandon Routh has said.

The actor will reprise the superhero role after assuming the mantle in Superman Returns, but said he does not think the character needs to brood.

"I think he is kind of dark in a sense, emotionally dark, in Superman Returns, and the movie as a whole was slightly dark. They could have had more prowess in it, I suppose, and I think that's one thing that can be done in the sequel," he told IESB.

"I don't know how much darker you want to make it necessarily. You make the stakes higher, you make the villain darker, I think that's a way to do it, but I don't think Superman himself needs to be darker."

Routh added that he would like to see Brainiac as the main villain in the next movie, claiming that "there are a lot of interesting things you can do with [him]".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...be-darker.html

In Superman Returns, the Man of Steel didn't have much of a personality. I think that's important when translating another media to the big screen. I hate boring, goody-two shows superheroes. Batman and Iron Man are perfect examples on out movie superheroes need to be.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I do think that after Superman Returns, Superman does need more development. However I can't really see him being darker. It could happen during a Death of Superman story with a second Superman but Superman isn't a dark character, it's just not his nature.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        I do think that after Superman Returns, Superman does need more development. However I can't really see him being darker. It could happen during a Death of Superman story with a second Superman but Superman isn't a dark character, it's just not his nature.
        I totally agree with you. Superman isn't a dark character, and he should never be one. Should the story maybe be a very dark one, sure. But not Superman himself.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
          Routh added that he would like to see Brainiac as the main villain in the next movie, claiming that "there are a lot of interesting things you can do with [him]".
          Sorry, but it'll probably be Luthor again. Superman Returns was not nearly the movie it should have been, and I don't think Routh should play Superman again.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Personally, I didn't think Routh did a bad job as Superman. I'd like a little more from him in this next film, but I am glad he kept the role.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I dont know if he should be darker but i do think he should fight something...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                I dont know if he should be darker but i do think he should fight something...
                I would say the odds of that are pretty good.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                  "I think he is kind of dark in a sense, emotionally dark, in Superman Returns, and the movie as a whole was slightly dark. They could have had more prowess in it, I suppose, and I think that's one thing that can be done in the sequel," he told IESB.

"I don't know how much darker you want to make it necessarily. You make the stakes higher, you make the villain darker, I think that's a way to do it, but I don't think Superman himself needs to be darker."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...be-darker.html
                  The movie was dark? Superman was dark? I did find the beating of Superman by Lex way overdone but the rest didn't seen dark at all to me. And Superman actually has to show something emotionally before being labeled "dark". I think Routh was an okay Superman, it was the director making him pose too much that annoyed me. I wanted Superman/Clark to well, do something besides posing. And to show a child that is his son and not address that emotionally was a big let down for me.
                  Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                    The movie was dark? Superman was dark? I did find the beating of Superman by Lex way overdone but the rest didn't seen dark at all to me. And Superman actually has to show something emotionally before being labeled "dark". I think Routh was an okay Superman, it was the director making him pose too much that annoyed me. I wanted Superman/Clark to well, do something besides posing. And to show a child that is his son and not address that emotionally was a big let down for me.
                    I think they did, to a certain extent.
                    Last edited by the fifth man; 11 November 2008, 07:01 PM.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      I would say the odds of that are pretty good.
                      well.... he didn't really fight in the first one, he just lifted a lot of stuff, aeroplanes, islands, stuff....
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

The only relevant Superman story left to tell is The Death of Superman: a story of overcoming evil and being willing to pay the ultimate price to save... everyone. One movie about his death and the second movie about his resurrection. We've already got the Superboy there.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          The only relevant Superman story left to tell is The Death of Superman: a story of overcoming evil and being willing to pay the ultimate price to save... everyone. One movie about his death and the second movie about his resurrection. We've already got the Superboy there.
                          Seeing Superman battle Doomsday in a live-action film would thrill me beyond description.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            You're right. With the next Superman movie they could have half the movie being about his fight and eventual death at the hands of Doomsday, or they could base the sequel on the Richard Donner cut of Superman II and bring back Zod, let Superman die during that then there is the potential right there of having a Superboy story or even a Steel story and spinoff. Not sure if the clone idea would work or the Eradicator would work, but there does need to be that element of something worse so perhaps introduce Eradicator as Brainiac.

Since Smallville is currently doing the Doomsday story, chances are if the Death of Superman is done Doomsday wouldn't be used.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              Since Smallville is currently doing the Doomsday story, chances are if the Death of Superman is done Doomsday wouldn't be used.
                              With Doomsday is the only way I would want to see a Death of Superman story.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X