Hyperdrive Propulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperdrive Propulsion

After seeing "The Lost Tribe" and seeing the way that Shepperd saves the Daedalus, I was wondering how a ship actually propels itself in hyperspace. Based on this episode (since the daedalus' hyperdrive was down), it seems like the hyperdrive only opens the window and the sublights actually propel the ship after it enters the window. Does this sound plausable?

Yes, hyperdrive forces the ship intp a bubble, sublight flys bubble through subspace

The Attero device put wind in the Wraith's bubble track, so their bubble asploded

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
      Yes, hyperdrive forces the ship intp a bubble, sublight flys bubble through subspace

The Attero device put wind in the Wraith's bubble track, so their bubble asploded
      Sounds fair to me.
      "You wanna run this ship?"
      "YES!"
      "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

Like what wkw said, a hyperdrive engine is the device used for bridging the connections between regular space and subspace. Once in subspace, the sublight engines take over and push the ship towards it's destination. Once there the engine brings the ship out of subspace back into "normal space".

Hyperdrive is not to be confused with Warp drive by the way. Warp drive remains in normal space but using advanced physics is able to shrink space in front and expand space behind, like an worm.

Comment

Originally posted by cegrocks View Post
          Like what wkw said, a hyperdrive engine is the device used for bridging the connections between regular space and subspace. Once in subspace, the sublight engines take over and push the ship towards it's destination. Once there the engine brings the ship out of subspace back into "normal space".

Hyperdrive is not to be confused with Warp drive by the way. Warp drive remains in normal space but using advanced physics is able to shrink space in front and expand space behind, like an worm.
          Nonononono. Liek a rubebr band: cut one so its one lenght intead of a circles, then holdl it streched out between two fingers, now have a friend hold it in the middle, no, without changing the distance between your fingers, move them forwards or bakwards. YOur firnd's finger hasn't changed position, but the rubber in front of it is compresed whiel the rubber behind it is streched out, your frind's finger is now closer to one of your fingers, but his finger has not actually moved.

Frind's finger: spaceship
          Ruberb band: space/time

Tadaa!

Comment

The why is it that everytime people want to go faster in subspace, they say "engage the hyperdrive at maximum speed" or "divert more power to the hyperdrive" as opposed to say, diverting power to the sublight engines.

Comment

So then the hyperdrive is also responsible for keeping the ship in hyperspace. If it is damaged, the ship drops out. And when they talk about hyperdrive efficiency, they are talking about sublight efficiency in hyperspace?

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
                So then the hyperdrive is also responsible for keeping the ship in hyperspace. If it is damaged, the ship drops out. And when they talk about hyperdrive efficiency, they are talking about sublight efficiency in hyperspace?
                Seems like it.............

I fregging forgot what I was going to say -.-

Go Green

Comment

I agree, the trusters of our ships are always on when in hyperspace. Also their is no seperate engine anywhere on the outside of the ship that would suggest that the hyperdrive is inside. Also Wraith trusters are known to be active when in hyperspace.

But wouldn't it be a great idea for us to just activate the hyperdrive and wait in hyperspace without moving, this way no enemy could hit us.

Comment

For that matter, can a ship even be stationary while in hyperspace, a la Babylon 5? (I doubt it) And since a ship can drop out of hyperspace if damaged, I assume that the same kind of energy needed to enter hyperspace is not required to exit. In other words, if the sublights fail in hyperspace, you just sort of 'fall out' of hyperspace, so to speak. An example of this theory would be in 'Adrift' where they make a big deal out of the energy needed to make a jump into and not out. In fact, I don't think they have ever made a big deal out of what is needed to exit.

Comment

you are a foreign object in hyperspace. subspace dont like that. so once damaged you drop out, as the hyperdrive keeps you in. also, there seem to be different levels of hyperspace, so the faster you want the higher you get, as your engines already run at max.

Comment

Two points to bring up. It must take power to stay in hyperspace, As Sam burned out a goa'uld shuttle's hyperdrive by towing an asteroid through hyperspace.

Second, have you never noticed that a ship can reach the designated coordinates of a planet, and yet sit there long enough for the command crew to walk back to the bridge? if your traveling a even a sedate speed of one quarter the speed of light you can blow by an entire planet in seconds let alone the minute or two required to walk back to the bridge and say "drop us out of hyperspace"

Which means you can hold your position in hyperspace however you can't scan the area and determine where other things are. As the only two known things to be detectable in hyperspace are gravity wells and subspace communications(using the ship itself to triangulate where incoming communications are being broadcasted from).

Nothing else has ever been detected while in hypersapce.

Comment

Apart from the Asgard Computer Core as in Unending and Ark Of Truth

Comment

Subspace is, essentially, a different set of physics laws.

When you go into hyperspace, some distances aren't the same and you can certainly go faster than light. Sublight engines are designed for normal Newtonian space. Hyperdrive engines are designed for subspace travel, and are optimized for those rulesets.

Technically, its not impossible for engines to substitute for each other, but I imagine efficency drops to nearly nothing. So yes, sublight can propel through hyperspace, but the travel advantages versus normal space are nil. Except for passing through celestial bodies.

Put another way- merlin's cloak. If we said that Merlin's device prevents you from getting tired when you run (in addition to being able to pass through obstacles) you could easily get to the other side of town faster than you could "normally".

If you had a bicycle in the cloak, you speed increases DRAMATICALLY. But a bicycle would be cumbersome around all those obstacles you can't pass through in the normal dimension as easily as you could run around them without the bike.

Legs :: sublight engines
                            Bicycle :: hyperdrive engines

...I hope that made sense.

Comment

So basically sublights can propell a ship through hyperspace, just at a way lower speed. And now that I think of it, Prometheas had visable hyperdrive engines (the purple ones on the side) although I guess hyperspace engines do not have to be visable at all (Ha'tak and cargo ships don't have any visable engines)

Comment

Working...
                              X