• Show
Clear All

Asgard "Make Anything" device

Clear this up

In unending, Sam changed the asgard core to make things either:
    • Out of the ZPM's energy
    • Out of other matter, waste and whatnot
    • plothole/never explained

If the first one, we don't have the ability to create anything because of the high amount of energy we use.

If the second one, we are able to make anything out of anything else. Why hasn't this been mentioned on the show?

Or, maybe it was magic but because time was reset on the ship, we lost that piece of tech

Go Green

What are you asking?

The Asgard core had its own power source so it didn't effect the zpm.

The matter converter converted atoms and such to make more air and food.
    Visit my Website

Comment

Like ManiacMike said the core had it's own power source and as far as I'm aware when it comes down to physics energy can become matter and vice-versa.
      I don't recall Sam having to take a solid object and change it's atomic structure using the core to something else.

Ark of truth spoiler:
      Spoiler:
      The Asgard core was used to make a Replicator

Comment

An it ant lost because it was used in AOT and Sam and crew witness it used.

It has not be mention because it a practical and power full technology and the writers do not know how to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
          Clear this up

In unending, Sam changed the asgard core to make things either:
          • Out of the ZPM's energy
          • Out of other matter, waste and whatnot
          • plothole/never explained

If the first one, we don't have the ability to create anything because of the high amount of energy we use.

If the second one, we are able to make anything out of anything else. Why hasn't this been mentioned on the show?

Or, maybe it was magic but because time was reset on the ship, we lost that piece of tech

according to the law of conservation of mass/ matter, well here read the definition for yourself:

"The law of conservation of mass/matter, also known as law of mass/matter conservation (or the Lomonosov-Lavoisier law), says that the mass of a closed system will remain constant, regardless of the processes acting inside the system. An equivalent statement is that matter cannot be created/destroyed, although it may be rearranged. This implies that for any chemical process in a closed system, the mass of the reactants must equal the mass of the products"

that was from wikipedia. so basically, as long as there was matter on the ship be it air particals or waste or whatever, if you have eneough energy you can essientally beam random molocules that arent performing a dire service, like holding the ship together, and manipulate them to change into whatever you need. as long as the starting mass and the ending mass is the same, there is no reason why this cant be done provided you have the proper technology to turn matter into something new.

and it dosent matter that time was reset because we always had that piece of tech because for one, it was just a slight adjustment to the beaming tech that allowed you to do that and two, the asgard gave us a pedistal that serves really no purpose except to hold whatever you create using the matter conversion technology.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Thor used this device several times during the show, most notably in S8E01 to create the anti-replicator gun Jack designed.
            It wasn't really that much of a surprise that it was available to us after Unending.
            In order to do anything more than copy things, I would think it takes a large amount of processing time as well (which you tend to get alot of in ~80 years), especially in the design stages.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
            Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

she used the asguard wepons to do it. basically the physics of the thing is that you need to take engergy and matter and if you have the right tools you can minupaliate them to any thing, but you do not create stuff out of know were, energy can not be created, or destroied, just changed (srry about spelling, looks like site is screwing up)

sigpic
              Sig made by squirrely1
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
              *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

well lets put it this way: the ship is meant to house over 200 people. they were with 6.
                more than enough waste, supplies, useless air. besides, carbonidioxide can be turned back into carbon and oxygen.

Comment

Theres also interstellar gas and dust. Even though the concentration of gas in the vacuum of space is like 1 particle per cubic meter.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                    she used the asguard wepons to do it. basically the physics of the thing is that you need to take engergy and matter and if you have the right tools you can minupaliate them to any thing, but you do not create stuff out of know were, energy can not be created, or destroied, just changed (srry about spelling, looks like site is screwing up)
                    she did not use the agsgard beam weapons she used the asgard beaming technology. there completely different things. one is a focused energy weapon and the other is a site to site transportation device.
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

I wonder if the Matter Converter can construct weapons grade Naqueda and refined Trinium coz if it can make those then it should be able to make power generators and stuff like that and the SGC wouldn't have to mine those elements any more.
                      I guess that would just be too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                        I wonder if the Matter Converter can construct weapons grade Naqueda and refined Trinium coz if it can make those then it should be able to make power generators and stuff like that and the SGC wouldn't have to mine those elements any more.
                        I guess that would just be too easy.
                        It would certainly be far less energy efficient than mining (especially since those Unas miners don't get paid an awful lot).
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

well to make a bit of naquahdah, you'd need tons of matter. especially weapons grade

Comment

Well it would be very inefficent, to make a kilogram of matter out of energy you would require 9.0E16 Joules

Comment

I just meant coz I've read elsewhere on GW that some people think Matter Converters can't make power generators.
                              So if you could make something like a Naqueda generator or some advanced Asgard power module with it you could probably construct ships and orbital defense platforms piece by piece at least.
                              I assume that the subspace tap in DV was made of those materials and that draws energy from subspace, so if you could refine the technology behind it then you could potentially have unlimited quantities of energy to power your Matter Converter and make anything you'd like big or small.

Comment

Working...
                              X