Zpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zpm

According to the laws of thermodynamics, more entropy means more heat. Taking BioChem right now, and as a cell orders itself by using energy, more entropy is created outside the as well as heat (as a waste product). Extrapolating that out, shouldn't a theortical ZPM become hotter and hotter as it releases more and more energy to the enviroment (the oppsite of cell) and considering how much energy we are theoretically talking about, as a ZPM depletes, it should become hotter and hotter and hotter INSIDE the casing to the point of absurd. Maybe it does and just has a Ancient designed nice oven mitt style casing?

Am I nuts? I know its all theoretical, but the cell part is science fact.

So...any physicists/chemists out there want to take a stab at at it?

Meh, the casing probably absorbs it and makes it sweet.
    Meh.

Comment

not a dedicated scientist, but I think you are assuming two things we don't know to be absolutely true.

1. a zpm is an "artificially created region of subspace time". In your theory aren't you assuming that the same universal laws apply to said universe, or to the interaction between our universe and the artificial one? (I'm not quite sure my own logic makes sense but this is the best idea asside from the second one before this conversation starts to get to over my head for me to participate in).

2. it's probably ok to assume this, but your heat problem is also based on assuming that the interaction is not 100% efficient. We have already seen technology in Stargate that can operate beyond 100% efficiency. (SG-1, Season 7, fallout - the generator operated at 132% efficiency) Only with a non perfect system do we need to worry about heat build-up.

Comment

We just have to rely on the fact that in scifi, cold energy is a staple. Most of the time more energy=cooler toys.

No one knows how it works but we can agree that if we puny humans ever want the cool tech the Ancients have we are going to have to develop some kind of cold fusion or something. That is really the beauty of scifi, it lets us dream about the possibilites without muddling too much about the details.
        sigpic

Comment

maybe the sub-space part has a vacuum and the heat part is counter acted against the cold part, i dunno i'm no scientist!
          sigpic
          Spoiler:
          McKay: Crap!

Hermiod: What did you do?

McKay: I ran it through a translation programme, it's Wraith.

Hermiod: Crap indeed!
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          O'Neall: Yasureyoubetya!

Comment

The ancients probably solved Maxwell's daemon.

(i.e. they found out how to violate or 'bypass' the second law of thermodynamics)

Basically, the 'daemon' controlls the flow rate of heat, allowing two regions of equal temperature to change (one up, one down). The entropy of this system (the two isolated regions) therefore decreases - violating the law. This could always be extended into controlling the heat between a hot and a cool object - such as the ZPM and the environment.

To make a long story short, the ancients solved the problem, controlled the heat flow between the increasing entropy of the ZPM and the environment.

People are looking at Maxwell's daemon and are starting to apply it to laptops so you dont burn your lap

Comment

A ZPM is a Zero Point Module. Zero Point energy is another word for vacume energy. Vacume energy doesn't create heat. In real terms a ZPM is possible to make. Not in the sort of way that scifi has created but scientist have already thought of it and created a prototype. in needs to be blasted into space.

The way scifi created the idea is that there is an artificial universe created in the module. this universe contains life slowly as more power drains from the device there becomes less life in the module. There is only a couple of problems with this. If you were to drain a ZPM to 50% and then leave it alone it should recharge but in scifi they don't recharge. Cause when you think about it we give birth therefore creating more life. If half the population is taken away it will start to build up again because we will be creating babies.

Therefore the module in scifi doesn't actually drain energy from life.

Thing create heat because of resistance. Think about it resistors get hot because they are resisting electron flow. I would take a guess that the Alantis power systems don't have any resistance and therefore don't create any heat. The module itself shouldn't create heat. It could if you were using electro chemistry but were not because we are not using chem's the create a reaction that creates energy. Energy has a number of things it can be in the form of, These include heat, light, and electrons. There are others but i don't want to go into them.

A ZPM doesn't use heat to create energy so therefore should not create heat. Not all energy that is made generates heat. vacume energy doesn't generate heat except for the fact of friction. But ZPM's don't have any friction. Therefore it shouldn't create heat.

If the module doesn't create heat than the ancients would have created something around the module to not allow the heat to escape.

But everything i have said indicates that the module shou;dn't create any heat anyway so nothing to worry about. The only reason why the caseing is there is to contain the miniature universe

Also daemon only applies if there is heat but if the system doesn't create heat than this doesn't apply
              Last edited by Stargate Answers; 05 October 2008, 05:21 AM. Reason: A couple of mistakes

Comment

Ok so heat is only produced because of friction.

Lets forget nuclear and chemical reactions, shall we?

The ZPM has to generate SOME heat because as you attempt to extract zero point energy (which is impossible with our level of technology - its to do with barriers and more complex and I don't want to explain this) entropy increases in the form of disordered (heat) and perhaps ordered energy.

This is on a level far beyond elementary science.

The ancients, in their wisdom, would use this energy for power generation. How? Who knows.
                Last edited by Inquisitor; 05 October 2008, 06:30 AM. Reason: forgot some things

Comment

Originally posted by n5tkn View Post
                  Am I nuts? I know its all theoretical, but the cell part is science fact.
                  Is there any such things as science fact, was it not scientists that thought the earth was flat, or we were at the center of the solar system at one point?

Failing that its a TV program and not based on reality

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                    Is there any such things as science fact, was it not scientists that thought the earth was flat, or we were at the center of the solar system at one point?

Failing that its a TV program and not based on reality
                    If you want, evry science teacher I have ever had has said that science can be defined as the "current best guess". So when people thought the world was flat, they weren't wrong in reading the evidence and giving the best answer that fit it. The fault lies in never reexamining the evidence with new techniques or technology or looking for new evidence.
                    sigpic

Comment

magic
                      someone dispute me i dare u

Comment

Maybe the ZPM transforms the heat generated into power as well? After all, heat is just a form of energy, we know that.

Comment

I am not scientist (unlike & few of my more learned friends here! ), but a ZPM dierives its power from vacuum energy; vacuums, insofar as I aware do not create nor retain heat; & a ZPM is - in 's own words - a self contained...power-source'; meaning the artificial environs within the crystaline structure would be entirely self-contained (like air in a bubble), including, theoretically, the heat that would be generated.

It is quite possible the Ancients figured out to curcumnavigate, cheat, bypass or even solve this dilemma, insofar as I am aware IMHO we are taking about technology & science way beyond our current level of understanding (definately beyond Newtownian science & qauntuum physics) , so it's in all liklihood probable, if not possible. Absurd? That's what they said when man was attempting to land on the moon (As Albert Einenstein once said : "If an idea is not absurd, then it is dommed to failure". ). . .

Just MHO here, I will the more brainy nuesiences of current theories, flaws & pitfalls in the current theory /arguement to the rest of lovely scientists.

Comment

Something I think has been forgotten.... the laws of physics don't apply to subspace. Hence, we can go absurdly faster than the speed of light while in subspace, without any time realted discontinuites, i.e. a hyperdrive. I would take this as an example that in subspace many if not all of the laws of physics go out the window. This includes the theory of relativity and the laws of thermodynamics.

Comment

well you travel faster by hyperspace due to distance: 1 lightyear in Realspace can be 1m in hyperspace. hence why communications are faster.

the solution is simple: the heat is contained within the ZPM, and thus does not affect anyone

Comment

Working...
                              X