Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest--Dragons in Science Fiction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any interest--Dragons in Science Fiction?

I'm asking this at every forum to which I'm a member, in an effort to get an idea of how much interest there is...

Who here would be interested in reading a book (or series of books) like this?

They focus on a planet inhabited by dragons. But, in addition to dragons, they also feature starships, other aliens, and other familiar science fiction elements. So, in the same book, there could be battles between dragon and dragon, ship and ship, dragon and ship...

The dragons of this planet are sentient--meaning, they live not only for the present, but are able to reflect on the past, plan for the future, and can override certain instinctual behaviors. Humans come to that world with a hope of setting up a colony, and the two species learn to coexist in peace and work together.

Interested?
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

i quite like the idea, but peace is boring, where do the battles come into it if humans and dragons co-exist?
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Perhaps I should say... Peaceful coexistence is their goal.

The conflict comes from the process of learning to trust and get along with one another.

There are parties that don't like that idea. Humans who hate the idea of having to live with a bunch of "monsters". Dragons who see the Humans as pests, a disease. And, there are aliens who are interested in exploiting the dragons for the power they represent.
      sigpic
      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:

Comment

Hmmmm.......It's an interesting idea. But I'm not sure it would neccesarily work when you put pen to paper. To be honest the thing that instantly hits me is that are these dragons actually THE dragons from our myths and folklore, or did the humans end up calling them that because they are a bit like that and they are really a completely new alien race? Also if they are THE dragons from our folklore, does that mean they would be technologically advanced enough to make it to Earth? Aditionally the concept of other aliens....is ok.....but personally I find that quite often aliens in sci-fi end up following quite a few cliches so it'd be good if you figured out something unique about them. But you may have already done, you didn't really concentrate on them in the description.
        Gotta say it doesn't really sound like my sort of thing. But I'm sure it would be other peoples if it was written well so yeah go for it.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

They are an alien race that happens to resemble the dragons of our myth. They're informally called "dragons", but actually refer to themselves as something else--Draconians.
          sigpic

My Books:

Comment

Off hand it sounds a bit like Pern and Eragon mixed up with Enemy Mine, not to be insulting or any thing. I'd have to sit down and read some of the book before I knew for sure if it interested me is I guess what I'm saying. Some of the best ones can be like that though. I had people describe series like The Dresden Files to me and I didn't think I'd care for them and ended up getting hooked.
            Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
              They are an alien race that happens to resemble the dragons of our myth. They're informally called "dragons", but actually refer to themselves as something else--Draconians.
              draconians is too similar to dragons, or not similar enough, assume we really did met these aliens, we would either use thier language's word for themselves, assuming we can pronounce it, or make up one based on what they are like, or what we already named their star/planet. also draconian means Exceedingly harsh; very severe, i assume if these draconians would look into the name we gave them they might be insulted by it.
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

In general, sentient dragons with ships in sci-fi isn't new. Lensman did it in the 30's. (Worsel was the best!)

If there was some new spin then why not. But I wouldn't read something that's just a load of clichés and there purely to put dragons in space.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  draconians is too similar to dragons, or not similar enough, assume we really did met these aliens, we would either use thier language's word for themselves, assuming we can pronounce it, or make up one based on what they are like, or what we already named their star/planet.
                  also draconian means Exceedingly harsh; very severe, i assume if these draconians would look into the name we gave them they might be insulted by it.
                  On our world it does. That word and its definition on Earth was derived, according to The New American Webster Dictionary, 3rd Edition, from an Athenian statesman in the 7th Century BC, Draco, who imposed a harsh code of laws. It may not mean the same for these dragons.
                  sigpic

My Books:

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
                    On our world it does. That word and its definition on Earth was derived, according to The New American Webster Dictionary, 3rd Edition, from an Athenian statesman in the 7th Century BC, Draco, who imposed a harsh code of laws. It may not mean the same for these dragons.
                    so just by chance the draconians articulate words phonetically in the same way as us, but just by chance have a name that sounds a bit like dragon and is one of our words already? i don't like it. unless these are the same dragons as in our folklore it will seem silly.
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    Quotes!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X