Zero point module power output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero point module power output

this thread will do it's best to find what the exact output is and give a number not talk.

output: variable [max: 2% of total energy]

estimated power:

10^28 joules[ based on atlantis submerged]
    10^40 joules [based on arcturus]

Comment

In laymans terms:

Always: Alot

In real terms:

Always: As much as the plot requires

Go Green

Comment

Probably in the 100's of Billions of yottajoules. (10^24)

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
          In laymans terms:

Always: Alot

In real terms:

Always: As much as the plot requires
          haha TRUE

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            output: variable [max: 2% of total energy]

estimated power:

10^28 joules[ based on atlantis submerged]
            10^40 joules [based on arcturus]
            I would say: 10^28 atlantis submerged
            10^36 based on destroying 5/6ths of a solar system

Comment

I agree that it is 10^40 but it is far past the yota watt range most likley 5e^39. due to every 2% of a ZPM can destroy a planet which is around 10^38. Those are my estimets.

Comment

i think it is around 5e^39 due to every 2% is enough energy to destroy a planet and that's about 10^38. So times that by 50. Walla.

Comment

whats intresting is that 700 gigawats was how much power the other earth needed to bring an entire planet out of phase and sam said that the zpm they had was too taxed from the battle woth the ori ship to provide the power but she never said it couldnt have provided the power and 700 gigawatts is roughly 80% of the power generating capacity of the U.S.

well, i find it amazing that just 1 zpm, could have provided the power for 80% of th U.S., yet the ancients used 3 of them to power 1 city. i mean sure you need a lot of power for the shield and the star drive but during peace time, they would have eneough power for like 20000 years. i just find it astonishing that 20000 years worth of energy for a city could fit in a suitcase.

although i wonder how long that zpm could have outputed 700 gigawatts before being depleted provided it was fully charged? can anyone do the calcuations for that?
                  STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

700 Gigawatts =700 thousand million watts. 700 billion watts. 7x10^11. 10^17x less than the least output of a ZPM calculated so far.

one hundred thousand thousand thousand thousand thousand . one hundred million billionth of a ZPM.

if Watt=Pxt, and P=7x10^11, then t=1.428x10^16. seconds.

so, if a ZPM has to output 7x10^11 joules, then it can do that for 452997028 YEARS!.

452 million years!

back then we didnt even NEED power.

Comment

This is a question about power under normal conditions, not when the thing goes boom.

The highest power output has been 2% of the ZPM's total energy reserves per second, under perfectly stable and controlled conditions.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by ZPMLOVER View Post
                        Zero point module output
                        Enough to keep the Energizer Bunny beating those drums for a hundred trillion trillion trillion years. Does this answer satisfy you?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          700 Gigawatts =700 thousand million watts. 700 billion watts. 7x10^11. 10^17x less than the least output of a ZPM calculated so far.

one hundred thousand thousand thousand thousand thousand . one hundred million billionth of a ZPM.

if Watt=Pxt, and P=7x10^11, then t=1.428x10^16. seconds.

so, if a ZPM has to output 7x10^11 joules, then it can do that for 452997028 YEARS!.

452 million years!

back then we didnt even NEED power.

wow, if your math is indeed accurate, then if we had 1 zpm, the U. S. could ends its dependance of fossil fuels and just create the infrastructure to channel the zpms power all over the country.

now i understand why they can afford to use the zpm to power all of the lights in the city, after all, 1 city seems insignificant compared to the thousands of cities in the u.s. that it could be powering.
                          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

by the time atlantis runs out on its ZPM's, they wouldve made a dozen new ones to fill in. it robs you of powerproblems. even if it takes a thousand years to make even ONE, you could still afford to do that.

one ZPM could power the world untill spacetravelling is like taking your bus. increase in power nessecity incalculated. unless we go power stuff like the LHC. use the extra nuclear fission fuel to power that one. develop cheap fusion, and by the time the ZPM runs out, we can build a powersource rivalling it.

if i use the 10^40 calculation, then the scales would be upped a trillion times.

Comment

I would also like to bring up some examples of what the shield has gone through

12 hive ships firing consecutively on Atlantis. This was with 1 ZPM and the shield would of lasted for days (2-3?)

36 hours with 1 ZPM, submerged, while being attacked by Asuran stargate weapon

3 ZPMs powering the city consecutively, lasting 10,000 years, plus or minus 100 years. 1 ZPM lasting for approximately 3.3 thousand years.

Shield generator on the planet with the kids. Assuming the ancients used a fully powered ZPM, it took 10,000 years to deplete.

We can get a general estimate of how much power is required to activate the shield by the number of times lighting struck Atlantis in 'The Storm/The Eye'. A lighting bolt is approximately 100 million volts, at 20 thousand amps. Considering loses, 6 lighting strikes took to power up the shield? I think its safe to say that the strength of the shield is fixed, meaning the ZPM is constantly supplying it with whatever power it needs to maintain a preset shield strength. Once the zpm runs out of enough power to maintain that preset strength, the shields fail. The daedalus on the other hand, charges the shield to a certain preset level, and then slowly supplies power to recharge over time. This is why a 304 is subject to shield recharge time, whereas atlantis's shield will just drain the zpm.

From here we can use the said examples over to estimate just how much power a ZPM has. Assuming that a lighting bolt equals 2 trillion watts (2 TW), and it took approximately 6 strikes to power the shield, the shield requires 12 TW of power.

On the surface, the Asuran beam would of drained the ZPM in 29 hours. Assuming that the ZPM is constantly supply the shield with 12 TW per second.... the ZPM is deliverying 720 TW/hrs, and over 29 hours, 20.8 PW or 20 quadrillion watts.

So a single ZPM has a total capacity of 20 quadrillion watts before its depleted. Its also interesting to note that the ZPM output can be limited to certain values, which almost makes a ZPM like a capacitor.

I'm extremely tired and going to bed, sorry if my math or logic is off, seemed like an interesting thread to respond to though!

Comment

Working...
                              X