This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life on Mars (American remake)

Any one else excited for this show? I saw a few episodes of the british version and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to the premier.
    Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Originally posted by eviladam View Post
    Any one else excited for this show? I saw a few episodes of the british version and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to the premier.
    I'm not sure. I thought the British version was excellent. I can't see how the American version can compare. And how on earth do you recast the role of Gene Hunt? They have big shoes to fill. Having said all that I'll probably still check it out just to see how it is.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

Lenny Clarke is in it so for his sake I hope it does well, but I caught part of the pilot ep and was kinda "meh" on it. LoM was great the first time around, but a remake? I'm not sure it'll work. I'm also not sure if American audiences are as open-minded as the Brits. They can accept a premise like Mars, but Americans? It may be too imaginative for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        Lenny Clarke is in it so for his sake I hope it does well, but I caught part of the pilot ep and was kinda "meh" on it. LoM was great the first time around, but a remake? I'm not sure it'll work. I'm also not sure if American audiences are as open-minded as the Brits. They can accept a premise like Mars, but Americans? It may be too imaginative for them.
        um, I'm American and I loved the Brit version of this show. I like to think of myself as very imaginative so please, don't just assume we're all the same.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora1101 View Post
          um, I'm American and I loved the Brit version of this show. I like to think of myself as very imaginative so please, don't just assume we're all the same.
          *shrug* I'm American, too, but I'm also a scifi fan. Life on Mars is going to be on primetime network TV and I'm not convinced that mainstream audiences will go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            *shrug* I'm American, too, but I'm also a scifi fan. Life on Mars is going to be on primetime network TV and I'm not convinced that mainstream audiences will go for it.
            ok, I see your point and it's a good one. With most people watching the American Idols of the world, how on earth do you get people to watch intelligent TV? So yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens.

IMO, like I said earlier, I don't know how they're going to do a remake of this show when the British version was so well done. Doesn't it seem like our TV executives have no original thought anymore? I mean, we stole the premise for The Office too and IMO the British version of that show was better than the American version. Although I will admit I watch the American version.

Sorry for the OT-ness
            sigpic

Comment

I dunno latelly I've noticed more and more shows that I think are too original and or intelligent to make it more than three episodes that are still going strong years later. Maybe there's hope for tv yet.

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora1101 View Post
                ok, I see your point and it's a good one. With most people watching the American Idols of the world, how on earth do you get people to watch intelligent TV? So yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens.

IMO, like I said earlier, I don't know how they're going to do a remake of this show when the British version was so well done. Doesn't it seem like our TV executives have no original thought anymore? I mean, we stole the premise for The Office too and IMO the British version of that show was better than the American version. Although I will admit I watch the American version.

Sorry for the OT-ness
                to be fair i'm british and prefer the american office, but i don't like gervais much and i think steve carrel is great
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

o i was interested in this remake, for awhile but i hear colm meany's been taken off this project so im not really that excited for it anymore
                  Last Movie Watched
                  X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                  Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    to be fair i'm british and prefer the american office, but i don't like gervais much and i think steve carrel is great
                    That's interesting. you're the first British person I've ever heard admit that. I do like both versions, but prefer the British version myself.
                    sigpic

Comment

I caught the tail end of the British version when it aired on BBC America. It isn't my general genre of television, but I liked it although I suspect I liked it due to John Simms.

I'll give the new one a chance, but I don't give it much hope. On a mainstream channel, most scifi is toast, and if it appeals to mainstream viewers, it likely won't appeal to me.
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I'm hoping that this show will go the distance. The british version only made it for two seasons and I thought that was a shame because it really had potential. Or I thought so any way. Hopefully it'll be a chance to explore more things and do things they never got a chance to do in the series.

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                          Me too. Occasionally Steve Carrel is annoying, but IMO Ricky Gervais is so terribly overrated and is nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is.

Comment

I'm extremely curios on how the American version is going to be. I'm a huge John Simm fan so it was weird to see someone else in his place. I'm optimistic though and we'll be watching. And like eviladam said, I hope they can explore a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizzare Star View Post
                              I'm extremely curios on how the American version is going to be. I'm a huge John Simm fan so it was weird to see someone else in his place. I'm optimistic though and we'll be watching. And like eviladam said, I hope they can explore a lot more.
                              I LOVE that guy. He was amazing on Doctor Who also.

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Working...
                              X