Spacebattles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spacebattles

I know people have criticised the SG spacebattles as being unrealistic, and I agree with them, the close quarters combat seen in SG between ships is ridiculous, but i started wondering.

What if they don't fight at such short distances? What if TPTB simply depict them as so becuase let's face it- watching bright dots shot other bright dots at each other is hardly entertaining. What if they just cram the ships into one shot but make them look cool, but in relity their fighitng from very long distances? Rather like a textbook model of the solar system.

Well if they are doing that which wouldn't suprise me. I think it's a cool idea then.

Comment

ermm to be honest i just dont think the team can make space battles none of the ships actually dodge weapons

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

if you AND your enemy move, you cant win. you'll fight onto eternity, as neither can hit the other. this way is MUCH faster

Comment

In space there is no sound, so to be realistic , do u want to hear silent during the sapce battle?

I like a more space fighter against space fighter battle, and the F-302's cockpit window is glass, i like to see it crack and suck the operator into space .

Comment

I think the comxpleties of a realistic fight are why andromena is such long range --- no money wasted on cgi. I was they'd use thier knowledge of physics a little more personally. Use the sensors to figure out which approach would give the max closing velocity when dropping out of hyperdrive and drop out railguns blazing. If done properly, those mach 5 railguns would have 0.5c velocity relative to target and would be more lethal than weapons or asgard beams.

Comment

such railslugs would siff through the hive like micro meteors. wont blow up half the ship.

Comment

I'm sorry to say this but what does it matter? I fail to see why you feel the need to criticize the science behind everything.

Personally I say that Space combat will be conducted at close quarters. Until we go out into the universe and start shooting aliens we won't know. All we can do is make predictions based on our current understanding of physics.
                Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
                  I'm sorry to say this but what does it matter? I fail to see why you feel the need to criticize the science behind everything.

Personally I say that Space combat will be conducted at close quarters. Until we go out into the universe and start shooting aliens we won't know. All we can do is make predictions based on our current understanding of physics.
                  Based on our current understanding of physics, spce comnat will be conducted at very long ranges.

Comment

but neither we nor the enemy can hit eachother. we'll just keep on dodging.

the MWs can do it, because you'll NEVER know when they attack. infact, they prefer just entering an existing battle, blow up the hives and leave

Comment

I think the battles are at close range because the weapons they use aren't particularly long range, and it's possible they can't be made longer range, maybe accuracy suffers or something. Although I do agree the spitting distance fights shown on the show are a little much. I think the longest range space battle we've seen on the show was in No Man's Land.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

The long range space battle idea never made much since to me in these types of science fiction shows. In reality long range fighting would be the best tactic but not on shows like SG and ST. The reason is that both shows have FTL sensors and sub-light engines. Thanks to these things if they fight at too great a distance then, like someone said above, no one would ever get hit the shots could be dodged continually, especially if the weapons only travel at sub-light speeds. Close combat renders these advantages almost useless.

My only gripe about space battles is when the ships sit still and don't move. Especially if they have enough time to avoid the line of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by ori soldier View Post
                          ermm to be honest i just dont think the team can make space battles none of the ships actually dodge weapons
                          that's because there are no Al'kesh size vessels in Atlantis, except fighters.

Comment

ok for the f-302 glass windows wouldn't last in a a fight.. there is no sound in space so it would be very hard to have a entertaining space fight so they have to be unrealitic
                            sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

the main problem with long range battle is the fact that enemy ship would have plenty of time to dodge your attack.

I think that in a realistic battle (500y from now probably), it would be rather a game of mind and intimidation : the 2 ships would move closer to each other until the moment where they couldn't dodge each other and while doing that, they would wonder who will fire first. the one to do that will announce clearly its intentions. It has to do it before entering the other ships weapons' range and nearly launch everything it has to avoid retaliation.

If we don't have plasma weapons and shields by then, my best bet would be on railguns with shrapnel-filled missiles. The fighters (if they do exist) won't get through this.... It's going to be silently dirty. Not at all like SGverse.

So what do you prefer?
                              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Working...
                              X