This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Tearjerkers

What are your top 5 tearjerkers of any scifi series?

Trip's death in "These are the Voyages" ENT*
    Nathan coming to rescue Peter in "How to Stop an Exploding Man" Heroes
    Beckett's Funeral in "Sunday" SGA
    Sheridan's death in "Sleeping in the Light" B5
    Talyn's death in "Into the Lions' Den Pt 2: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" Farscape

*This episode does not exist unless the book "The Good that Men Do" is read prior
    Last edited by Prometheus 1; 27 September 2008, 09:49 AM.
    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Does the anime Crono Crusade count? The final episode of that had me in more tears than any show I remember.

Comment

Lots of stuff from BSG- "The Hub", Ellen's death, Billy's death, Starbuck's "death", Kat's death, there's a lot of death.....
      Buffy the Vampire Slayer "The Body"
      Angel "A Hole in the World"
      Atlantis "Sunday"
      Enterprise the end of Terra Prime
      DS9 "The Visitor"
      Doctor Who "The Stolen Earth"

I'm sure I'll think of more after.....

Comment

SG1- heroes
        TNG- all good things

Comment

'Terra Prime' was so moving, Trek Girl. It really was the note on which to end 'modern' Trek: acceptance of the mistakes of the past and hope for the future. The same for 'Sleeping in Light'. For me, 'Terra Prime' IS the final episode of ENT.

'The Stolen Earth'... Not really sad for me. Which part did you mean? 'Journey's End' and Donna... Now THAT was incredibly sad.

My 5... well, 6, ok, 7, maybe 8:
          B5: Sleeping in Light [Delenn!]
          B5: Rising Star [Ivanova dealing with Marcus' sacrifice.]
          B5: Z'ha'dum [Everything. From 'Anna Sheridan' to the message Delenn got to Ivanova reacting to Sheridan's loss... Best Episode EVER!]
          Doctor Who: Journey's End [Donna!]
          Torchwood: Exit Wounds [Tosh! Owen! It's breaking my heart!]
          Roswell: Cry your Name [You'll believe a major cast member can die!]
          Enterprise: Terra Prime [T'Pol and Trip! Poor things.]
          SGA: The Shrine [RODNEY!]
          Last edited by nx01a; 26 September 2008, 04:11 PM.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

i didnt find sunday sad really, i like beckett but it wasnt sad

Comment

I agree. It was senseless to me, that overrode any real feelings of grief. Anger, sure, but not real sadness.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Hmmm...

The finale of Space: Above & Beyond still goes down in the history books as one of the most traumatic things I've ever watched. I had not the slightest inkling about what was going to happen- which added immensely to the shock and sadness, I'm sure- and adding to that I'd also spent the past two days watching the entire series straight through (with breaks for sleeping, of course). It was powerful, it was shocking... it was frakking BRILLIANT! That, my friends, is the way to end a series: in a blaze of glory.

Apparently there are a few people left in the world who haven't seen this yet, so... spoilers for Doctor Horrible:
                Spoiler:
                Penny's death in Doctor Horrible's Sing-along Blog. Again, I was caught unprepared. Not having seen much of Joss' other shows I didn't realize that emotional trauma was one of his trademarks. LOL! It took me a whole day to recover from it and a little longer before I could watch Act 3 again. I've adapted to the shock by now, of course, but that first gut-level reaction... Yow. I can see why it had to happen, but sometimes I wonder if it might not have been better to have things end on a slightly different angle.

Daniel's death in Meridian. And yes, this is really me and I'm really saying that. Fortunately I saw Meridian for the first time before the Daniel Wars were in full swing. There was still some nastiness out there, but I could also still love the character and appreciate the full impact of his death in all its aspects (in-show, behind-the-scenes and in fandom). Alas, it was a One Time Only thing because by the time Meridian aired on SCIFI I was cheering his death and felt a vicious, angry thrill at what his death was doing to a certain segment of fandom. I fully blame the rabid few who went out of their way to make everyone around them miserable and who chose to rage and inflame the situation rather than to accept it and honor the sacrifices the character made.

Buffy: TVS- The Body. I may not have watched much Joss, but I did have the misfortune to see that episode. Once. I couldn't possibly watch it again and I almost didn't make it all the way through the first time. Way too visceral and hits way too close to home.

For a fifth one, I dunno, maybe E.T. The whole "death" of E.T. and then again at the end when he got rescued... that was sad, sad stuff when I was little.
                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 26 September 2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Wow. So much for watching the Sing-Along now...
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

*shrug* Sorry. It's been out since July so I figured it was fair game.

Comment

Sigh. And I just finished the first part.:'( Maybe she'll get resurrecting in the sequel.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Like I said, it's been out for months. Freely available across the world AND downloadable on itunes. It never occurred to me that anyone who wanted to see it hadn't by now.

Comment

It's ok! I'm just a little late. Now, back to the tear-jerkers...
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            Like I said, it's been out for months. Freely available across the world AND downloadable on itunes. It never occurred to me that anyone who wanted to see it hadn't by now.
                            Really? I've not been able to find it available in the UK yet

Comment

The one that comes to mind first as it's the most recent...for me anyway...

BSG - "Resurrection Ship, Pt 2" - The Adama/Roslin scene at the end of the ep when Roslin promoted him to Admiral. She's dying. He knows it. The way they interact coupled with the musical score = a top for me. There are plenty of other moments for me from the show, but this is my top one.

Farscape - "Die Me, Dichotomy" - Aeryn's death. Again there are plenty of others on the show, but I'll go with this one being my top from the show.

Buffy: TVS - "The Body" - Have to definitely agree with this one as well.

B5 - "Sleeping in the Light" - the destruction of the B5 station. That was difficult to watch.

I'd have to think about a 5th one.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X