Infinite Overstatement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinite Overstatement

In the episode "The New Order" (can't remember which one) daniel and thor were talking about just looking fotr the stuff they need from jacks mind, but thor then said that the "hay stack" would be of infinite size. I ask you, how could they have an infinite knowledge base, and yet couldn't defeat the wraith, let alone cripple them, something that we were able to do in 5 years only. At first the wraith seemed cool because they were powerful and had technology that rivaled the ancients, and when we come along in the coming years, they become push-overs (to say the least). Also, couldn't they just come-up with some bio-weapon to kill all the wraith, the aschen have that tech, why not the ancients? Ironically, the more we learned about the ancients, the more boring they become (as in they are less powerful then last thought).

KEEP IT CLEAN
    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

The reason we have been able to hoild off the Wraith so far is beacuse they are spending a lot of time fighting each other instead of Atlantis. Also, they don't know where Atlantis is. SG1 was the same way with holding off the Gou'ald for so long.

The Wraith ganged up on the Ancients as a unified force with superior number so the Ancients were overwhelmed even with their better tech. One could also speculate that the Ancients better tech was also a weakness as they may have thought their knowlage would overcome any adversary but they lost the ability to think in a warrior mindset much like the Asguard did fighting the Replicators.
    sigpic

Comment

Infinite knowledge doesn't mean you have the will to act.
      Maybe there was some knowledge that they decided that they would not use. No matter what.
      :|

Although I thought it was dumb to say in the episode that the haystack was of infinite size.
      If it really was an infinite amount of knowledge there is no possible way it could be stored in a finite device.
      What's the deal with the retardedly huge sigs?!
      Spelling correction by Gen Blue

Comment

I agree with the thread starter, "infinite knowledge" is definitely an infinite overstatement. The way the Ancients have been portrayed over the seasons suggests that even something "vastly superior to Asgard technology" is an overstatement.

Comment

Well it probably means, it has EVERY ancient that ever walked through Atlantis, all the information (height, weight, age, favorite food, what they like to do, number of white blood cells, family info) and that lots more just for one of a couple million people.

Then the tech. with notes, failed tests, weapons.

Then history, races they met.

It would be many lifetimes to look through everything.
          Visit my Website

Comment

cept the repositories were built before atlantis..
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

im pretty sure a entire fleet of asgard ships could exterminate the wraith then the ancients could since the asgard have battle tactics during the replicactor war andd we have seen them doing so

whereas the ancients just wait til they come or think that they are superior
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                cept the repositories were built before atlantis..
                what makes you think that?

Atlantis is already several million years old, since in episode 1 of SGA we see it leaving Earth for Pegasus.
                Visit my Website

Comment

I think that the repositories were built shortly before Atlantis leaves antarctica, i also think that each repository holds different kind of information. Unite them all and you may have the complete knowlage of the Anciants, or at least half.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                    im pretty sure a entire fleet of asgard ships could exterminate the wraith then the ancients could since the asgard have battle tactics during the replicactor war andd we have seen them doing so

whereas the ancients just wait til they come or think that they are superior
                    Speculation ^^^. Especially the last sentence. We even heard it from the Wraith that the vastly superior Ancient ships hunted Wraith deep in Wraith territory. Only after months were the Wraith able to capture 3 vessels.

Spoiler:
                    In tonights episode we see the Ancients did have the means to wipe out the Wraith.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                    X