Different Asgard beaming tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Asgard beaming tech?

Hi, I am new here, so forgive me if this question has been asked (and probably answered) before, but I have got something on my mind that is bothering me for quite a while now...

I couldn't help noticing that the beaming technology of the asgard shown in the very first episodes like Thors hammer or Thors chariot is quite different from the beaming technology we use to see since Nemesis (probably earlier,can't remember...).
    Can someone of you technology-Experts explain why this is so or perhaps simply name a title of an episode in which this has been explained?

Either way I'd be glad to get an explanation.

Cheers!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

maybe less advanced?

Comment

Bigger budget...

Comment

maybe less advanced?
        Possibly...although there seemed to be no difference in the transportation speed or limits in distances between the two know asgard transportation technics.

Bigger budget...
        Hmm...what do you mean? I assume you meant the asgard-budget to develop a new and more reliable beaming technology

Comment

Different kind of beaming array. As far as we can gather the current beaming modules only carry a relatively small number of people, there are many stationed around our ships. THe Asgard beaming ray from TC could have be either a weaponised version or a different form of the device that can scan and move many objects at the same time, and dismantle objects rather than transport them. It could be a less advanced version also similar to the wraith culling beam. But we know that at the least the asgard have the most advanced trasport tech besides the stargates.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

I too was thinking about the possibility that the first asgard beam-ray might have been a transporter combined with some sort of weapon - as seen in TC.
            So most certainly those gould landing-platforms haven't just been transported into space.

I take it then, that there was no episode in which this change or progress in the asgard-technology has been somehow explained or even mentioned...?!?

One possible, although quite unlikely solution for the use of a different transportation technology could be that some of the asgards pushed the wrong button too often so that some of their ship crew-members that should have been transported from A to B just disappeared.

However, I still fancy the old beaming system...it just "looked" a bit more modern.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              Different kind of beaming array. As far as we can gather the current beaming modules only carry a relatively small number of people, there are many stationed around our ships.
              I believe quantity is not the problem. Position of the beaming module could be though. Its possible that different beaming modules cover different areas of the ship so they can beam anything to or from anywhere

Best Stargate quote:
              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
              Green is your friend.

Comment

I'd go for what others have said and say that one is more of a weapon. I wonder if the Asgard ever gave back what they took?

Comment

Well we know that asgard external beaming arrays have a limited range from nemesis when tealc had to push off, so its possible that the TC version was the effect of it being in an atmosphere when it activated.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
                    I'd go for what others have said and say that one is more of a weapon. I wonder if the Asgard ever gave back what they took?
                    i doubt it, after all the asgard were not in the goauld fan club so being nice to them proboly wasnt high up on their list of priorities, more likely they were all killed and the objects destroyed, after all im pretty sure that was a protected planet so they were proboly well within their right as far as their treaty to eliminate them.

and even if it wasnt a protected planet, i doubt they gave back what they took after all they were enemys
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the replies

Comment

i actually think that they are the same. the matterstream nowadays is nearly invisible though. and the sound is different. so i'd say its perfected

Comment

Originally posted by asgard.prior View Post
                          Hi, I am new here, so forgive me if this question has been asked (and probably answered) before, but I have got something on my mind that is bothering me for quite a while now...

I couldn't help noticing that the beaming technology of the asgard shown in the very first episodes like Thors hammer or Thors chariot is quite different from the beaming technology we use to see since Nemesis (probably earlier,can't remember...).
                          Can someone of you technology-Experts explain why this is so or perhaps simply name a title of an episode in which this has been explained?

Either way I'd be glad to get an explanation.

Cheers!
                          Hmm, maybe because the creators decided to change the Asgards teleportation device.

This new one a bit better in those scenes where the spaceship in orbit and beam up a person from the planet.
                          Maybe the other device had a less radius of action.

Comment

Hmm, maybe because the creators decided to change the Asgards teleportation device.
                            Well, thats for sure as we could see. I was rather looking for the reason why they did it.
                            Perhaps you are right and the new beam ray should indeed be some sort of advancement either in reliability, extended radius or less amount of energy needed for transport.
                            Honestly I was hoping that the producers somehow managed to mention this kind of change in one of the early seasons of sg1, but apparently they didn't.

Comment

I think what we see in TC is a different type of beaming technology, used for a different purpose.

The Asgard beam installed on SG ships is primarily to move people / things from one place to another and doesn't seem to show a beam of light from point of origin to item being moved.

In Thor's Chariot, I would say that due to nthe protected planets treaty, Thor wasn't just moving Goa'uld and his possessions off the planet - the ships etc were forfitted by the infringement onto a protected planet. I think the 'beams' we see here are more of the 'poof you out of existence' type.
                              ~~~~~ Meant to Be ~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X