Asgard uber beams a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard uber beams a mistake?

Does anyone think the Asgard beam weapons have made Earth's ships waaay too powerful, say even to a rediculous extent? I've seen our ships taking out Auroras and Hives with only a few shots and everytime I see it I can help but think," Whaaaaat?!" Come on, the 304s are destroying ships dozens of times their size, even with uber beams it seams a bit much. Anybody else agree?
    Last edited by Lantien84; 22 September 2008, 08:58 PM.

TPTB indeed made the Asgard beams too powerful when they established that something like 6 beams can destroy an Ori mothership. Of course since the Wraith grow their ships theoretically they should be able to swarm Earth battlecruisers with mass produced cruisers, though for some reason they're incapable of using the resources at their disposal in Pegasus (it was established that the organism used to grow Wraith ships uses raw energy to grow in The Seed, so the Wraith should be able to put two and two together and realize that there are billions of stars in a galaxy which means there's a lot of solar energy that could be used).

Comment

Remember, Ancient ships outmatched Wraith ships. The Wraith only won the war, because they outnumbered the Ancients.

Comment

I think it was right that the Odyssey got weapons that powerful because it needed to be able to stand up to Ori ships in Ark of Truth and Unending. The other two have become way to powerful now though, they should have just given them regular energy weapons. They defiantly needed something because they were pathetic with only railguns and nukes, but the beams just overdid it IMO.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
          I think it was right that the Odyssey got weapons that powerful because it needed to be able to stand up to Ori ships in Ark of Truth and Unending. The other two have become way to powerful now though, they should have just given them regular energy weapons. They defiantly needed something because they were pathetic with only railguns and nukes, but the beams just overdid it IMO.
          It would have been better if the Asgard weren't killed off. Then they could destroy Ori ships until the Ark of Truth was used and then the Asgard could just choose to be isolationists after their years of fighting the replicators and not get involved in Pegasus.

Comment

We've waited 10 years of our *actual* life for having a good ship or two, so let them be here...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

I thought when we finally did upgrade our ships it would have been with Lantien based technology, not super Asgard tech that seems to have come out of no where. I agree that the Asgard shouldn't have been destroyed and that the beam weapons on the Odysee seem resonable considering it's powered by a ZPM. However it dosen't seem reasonable that the Daedalus and Apollo would have the power generating requirments to power such a powerful weapon system, at least not without gutting the ships to make room for giant capacitors that would have to be charged like the ship's shields. Even if that is the case I'd think each ship could maybe could get off a few shots and then break away from a battle to recharge the weapons, but thats not very combat effective especially if it takes long for the beams to be recharged. The battle could very well be over by then.

Comment

What about the Anicient obital weapons system..... it knocked out t hive with just one shot, ok it wa destroyed after that, but still. The Ancients had powerful beam tech, but we've seen very little of it, could it be that the Asgard beam tech is similar????
                http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                  We've waited 10 years of our *actual* life for having a good ship or two, so let them be here...
                  Hey I've found the writers' "anti-technological growth" writing technique rather annoying at times, because it doesn't make sense under these conditions, but I must say that when I think "I wish those railguns were replaced with energy weapons" I'm not asking for goober Wank Beams of Unlimited Destruction.

Comment

Lantien84,

It's 'Lantean', not 'Lantien,' sorry.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

The spelling Nazi strikes again
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Should have just given Odyssey Beam Weapons and Earth unable to backward engineer Asgard Tech say for 4/5 years. I mean the Atlantis Expedition has been in the Pegasus for 5 years and they can’t backward engineer Drones or anything.
                        Apollo and Daedalus should have just been left with Rail Guns and Missiles. If they wanted more firepower they should have kept the Orion and not destroyed it in ‘No Mans Land’

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                          Lantien84,

It's 'Lantean', not 'Lantien,' sorry.
                          You sure? Well I think it's too late to change my screen name anyway. Oops!

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes of SG1 + SGA combined IMO. They should have given us standard energy weapons, not the stupid plot rays.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Lantien84 View Post
                              You sure? Well I think it's too late to change my screen name anyway. Oops!
                              Lantian and Lantean are both acceptable spellings. Lantien is not.

-ean is the British spelling.
                              -ian is the American spelling.

Comment

Working...
                              X