Hyperspace Missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperspace Missiles

I think we should focus on the development of Hyperspace missiles instead of ships. Ships are crazy good but the use of Hyperspace missiles would eliminate wasting time building ships plus putting the ships and men into no-win situations.
    The missiles could be fitted with a limited 1 trip hyperdrive engine and could target enemy vessels in space or structures on ground. We know that it takes time to charge weapons and if the missile was taken out of hyperspace close to the target it could work. Ships would have to coordinate strikes unless the missiles were fitted with sensors though. What the warhead would be would obviously depend on the target. Also ships could sort of be hit whilst in hyperspace but thats problematic at the moment. Imagine if the Ancients had employed this kind of strategy to their war with the Wraith. They would have probs won no bother.

Your thoughts.....

I bet it would be quite expensive to put a hyperdrive on every missile, especialy if the enemy uses many not so huge ships (like the gould or lucian aliance). Also, little things dont usualy have hyperdrives (naquadria is pretty limited and dangerous) and a big hyperdrive would be a big and easy target.
    But mostly, its bad because its like cheating

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

this remind me of the star trek voyager episode: Dreadnought

Comment

i dont think weapons would work in hyperspace maybe cos it needs to divert power or something so enemy ships wont shoot the hyperspace nuke down

even the asgard weapon couldnt work in hyperspace when chasing the repliactor ship

the problem is that you would need to be in the same hyperspace window and to reach the ship to fire the missile and what would happen if its successful would it cause the destroyed ship to fall back into your ship or the enemy hyperspce generator to explode and the blast wave to hit yours before their hyperspace field weakens and puts them back into normal space
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nightmare_warrior View Post
          this remind me of the star trek voyager episode: Dreadnought
          Though, a good episode.

Comment

I mentioned this in the Most Unexploited tech thread on around the 17th of September.
            Said it could have a shield which would activate when dropping out of hyperspace and be remotely controlled via subspace.

As far as Character's comment on the cost thing
            Spoiler:
            we've got the Asgard tech that can fabricate any Asgard technology so should be able to build hyperdrive engines and I'm sure if they can make a wrist device that can sustain an intergalactic wormhole shouldn't have any trouble maintaining a hyperspace window for a missile.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

The cost wouldnt come from actual expensive construction, the high cost would be result of each missile with its power source, hyperspace engine and other stuff exploding, meaning youd need a new missile for every ship. Thts not a problem if your enemy is ~4 uber ships, but if you were to fight the gould or wraith that have probably thousands of weaker ships, the cost would very quickly add up, IMO a ship with asgard tech would be much more cost effective in a large conflict.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

well you could use hyperfighters equipped with nukes. perhaps even neutron bombs, so you can claim the craft yourself

Comment

As one of the above posters mentioned, a hyperdrive for every single missile would get overly expensive. So, they could make a small remote-controlled (for lack of a better term) ship that only has a hyperdrive and missles. Drop out of hyperspace, launch missles, go back in immediately.

But of course this would be unfair to our enemies.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

We could better create a hyperdrive puddle jumper with a nuke in it.

Comment

I think if this kind of technology were to be used it should only be for really special situations, like (SGA season 3 spoilers if you haven't seen)
                      Spoiler:
                      when we bombed the Asurans in First Strike, they were already our enemy and were clearly planning on using their new ships to hit Atlantis and Earth.
                      Using the Apollo to drop Horizon was a very risky thing to do as the Asurans could have opened up on our vessel with their drones and destroyed it.
                      With a hyperdrive capable missile Horizon platform they could've launched it from Atlantis and removed an element of the risk.
                      Also the actual hyperdrive-shield module could be re-useable and return to the launch co-ordinates after it's mission was completed.

If we knew the location of a Wraith hive on a planet we could launch one of these weapons from Atlantis and take it out.

Comment

Perhaps some device that can fling a missile into Hyperspace for a set distance, where it emerges and strikes at a target?

Comment

I wouldn't like to see us obliterating planets from afar. it seems unfair on any good guys that may live there. It might be a problem if someone captured one and used it against us.

It might give someone an idea, the Goa'uld did get the idea of MALPS from us. (Heroes)

Comment

As far as the whole thing of the weapon being captured goes, there could be a constant subspace link with the launch site, the platform would have sensors and be able to detect ships.
                            There could be failsafes built into the device like a self destruct if anyone other than authorised personel tried to tamper with it.
                            If the platform's shields were to go offline it could automatically jump into hyperspace and return to the launch site if there was a medium to high risk of capture.
                            That's why the thing would have to have the subspace link.

There could be multiple explosives and internal self protect sensors that activate the self destruct if anyone tries to tamper with it other than us and we would have some unique frequency subspace key to deactivate it.

The device would have not be intelligent to the point of being able to control it's own actions just be able to report when it reaches it's target.
                            So like key responses to programmed situations.

Also if one of these weapons was to malfunction and go off course it would make for a really good episode with lots of suspense.
                            Although many people would say that's a copy of Star Trek: Voyager's Dreadnaught episode.
                            Still that's one of my favourite ones

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                              As one of the above posters mentioned, a hyperdrive for every single missile would get overly expensive. So, they could make a small remote-controlled (for lack of a better term) ship that only has a hyperdrive and missles. Drop out of hyperspace, launch missles, go back in immediately.
                              Not if we can refine the technology by limiting and simplifying its applications i.e. can only travel one-way, as the OP mentioned.

But of course this would be unfair to our enemies.
                              I don't suppose you would say the same with ICBMs?

When come to think of it, it's actually an excellent idea 'cos it fits in well with modern human (Earth) approach to warfare, which is primarily the elimination of enemy target over long distances in a precise, controlled fashion with little to no friendly casualties.
                              Last edited by gkyun; 23 September 2008, 04:48 PM.
                              "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X