No announcement yet.

There should be other technology that could protect against a timeline change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be other technology that could protect against a timeline change

If the timeline is changed then you are essentially dead. Yes i know ther would be 'you' in the altinate timeline but it isnt actually you. This is clearly shown in continuum where there is two daniel jacksons.

The stargate can protect you from a shifting timeline provided you step through at exactly the right moment. This solution si clearly not a good way to be protected.

It would need to be a device that provided protection for the user(s) all the time.

You would have thought that the ancients or Asguard would have invented something to protect themselves in the event that someone changed an event in the timeline that affected them. I dont mean to protect the timeline but to protect them from vansihing into think air and being killed

So what do you think do you think they would have? Or at least tried

I've never thought of that before. Maybe there would be something like a time dilation device that could encompass an entire ship or facility. But I doubt a personal device would exist.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Its an interesting idea, but the device would probably have to mighty powerefull, since it would violate causuality. And the ancient, that invented the time machine, did so very late in the ancients history, so tampering with time, apart from slowing down/speeding up, is probably pretty difficult.

But then, time travel isnt very scientific in stargate, like people and the whole reality disapeared one by one in Continuum, and changing the past, probably should create an alternate reality, not change the future, to get around the grand father paradox.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

I always figured that any change in the past would just create another time line. Else it gets really confusing.
        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Perhaps some form of phase devices could potentially allow a person to be protected or maybe a time dilation device that counteracts the effects of the changes in the timeline. Speculation though.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

How can you be protected from time when the rules are changed universally?
            It would require first to redefine the real scale of the time alteration effect. Although it seems to affect a whole galaxy and the universe, it may only affect a few galaxies, and that's all.
            I know a stargate has been used for time travel before, several times, all related to the wormhole in a way or another, therefore if anything had to be devised to isolate yourself from time tides or whatever, it would have to be wormhole dependent.

But why, again, the wormhole acted as a shield is just plot convenience, I cannot even start to construct a premise that would make sense, especially since the wormhole brought the people into a reality which was changed as well.
            It just prevent Daniel, Cam and Sam from being erased/altered, which again is just ???

Did I say that I dislike time travel plots in general?
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Maybe subspace (hyperspace works) or your own time device.

Comment

The subspacefield in wormholes protected sg1, it might be possible to create your own subspace bubble, a contained miniature universe inside an universe. Heck it might even be possible to survive the heat death or the great collapse by doing so

Comment

Working...
                X