Point of Origin (Is confusing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin (Is confusing)

Alright, so... Gates all have a unique Point of Origin on them. It tells the other Stargate what route the wormhole is taking...

However...

I have been searching for a while and apparently the Point of Origin for some planets is the same as normal glyphs on the ring. I would like to know what that means in terms of dialing. Does it mean planets containing that symbol cannot be dialed?

Also, it says that Atlantis's Point of Origin is unique to it, yet I see no alternative to that symbol for other gates.

Anyone care to explain?

Originally posted by Cael View Post
    Alright, so... Gates all have a unique Point of Origin on them. It tells the other Stargate what route the wormhole is taking...

However...

I have been searching for a while and apparently the Point of Origin for some planets is the same as normal glyphs on the ring. I would like to know what that means in terms of dialing. Does it mean planets containing that symbol cannot be dialed?

Also, it says that Atlantis's Point of Origin is unique to it, yet I see no alternative to that symbol for other gates.

Anyone care to explain?
    They only have the one prop for gate and DHD, and you're expected to not look so closely. TPTB can't afford to make new glyphs for every planet they visit, but they do have them canonically.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I understand that they can't make a lot of props, but the confusion still stands: What happens when the Point of Origin is the same as one of the pre-existing glyphs?

Comment

It should never be. Chevrons usually correlate with the star formations suggesting a point in location (6 intercrossing pinpoints a Stargate)
        In the movie our Point of Origin did not refer to a star formation but just a symbol relevant to our history.
        So all the gates should have similar chevrons and one special chevron (indicating the point of origin)-this is the way they gate to planets and can leave because they realise that a particular chevron is not a star or is out of place

A better question is why they have points of origin considering the origin would be from the same place the request of the 6 chevrons come from.
        ie. the actiavting signal would usually come from the gate where the dialling is coming from.

Comment

Well, after checking the Stargate Wikia, it looks like several gates have already-used symbols. For example, Tollan has Crater, Pangar has Aquarius, etc.

I believe the purpose of the Point of Origin is for the process of computing the path of the wormhole before it is formed, rather than connecting to the gate itself.

Furthermore, the Point of Origin takes the place of a six-glyph address, and since they're gate-specific, one would never need to dial a different Point of Origin. What I mean by this, is that the Point of Origin itself is a whole other address, and it can be universally received, though only dialable at the gate it's keyed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cael View Post
            Furthermore, the Point of Origin takes the place of a six-glyph address, and since they're gate-specific, one would never need to dial a different Point of Origin. What I mean by this, is that the Point of Origin itself is a whole other address, and it can be universally received, though only dialable at the gate it's keyed to.
            Two things:
            1) If I dialed 6 chevrons referencing my home address would this be good enough instead of a 7th chevron (obviously the system doesn't allow for 14 buttons to be pressed but that is effectively how many chevrons you are telling the gate system 6+1 P.O.O where P.O.O=6chevrons)

2) If it were possible to do (1), is it possible to dial a planet and then input a different home address (ie. not equal to the P.O.O)---> effectively connecting two planets together without actually being there.
            Use of this-connect an enemy to a black hole.
            More peacefully-allow outgoing travel from plaents with broken DHDs eg. Torment of Tantalus or the one where the team is on a prison and meets the destroyer of worlds or Bad Guys

Basically when I make a phone call I don't input any special digit to say that I am the caller because the network knows it is my phone that rang. With all the phone analogies the stargate has woudn't this also apply. ie. the outgoing gate is the gate which is closest to the DHD that is being dialed.

Comment

Well this seventh chevron is rather confusing, because there are more planets than symbols. But one thing we do know, we need it

Comment

the 7th symbol is brob to tell the gate not to wait for another symbol

ie. 8 or 9 symbol address

in keeping with the phone analogy maybee if you type a certain sequense you can send a "text message"
                And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Well the big red button is there to say that there are no more chevrons.
                  In the end I have come to the point that no one can actually answer this. It just happens. It was just a plot device for Daniel Jackson in the movie and has remained since.
                  Same way how some gates start spinning even when the total address has not been dialed on the other end? Or sometimes they take a while to activate while other times they load quickly?
                  I originally thought they were filming inconsistencies until in "the Tracker" the gate takes a while to accept the incoming wormhole.

Comment

I don't think the point of origin button does anything beyond telling the device that "i'm creating the wormhole here". Remember when Carter and O'Neill gated to the Antarctic gate? The DHD there had a different point of origin symbol than the one they use at SGC. I don't think it matters what is on the DHD the button is the same. If you were to replace the '5' button on your phone it wouldn't change what happened when you pressed it because the device is programed to dial '5' when you press it. Same thing with the DHD PoO. No matter what is on the DHD the PoO means 'from this device'.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well yeah the Point of Origin is probably always at the same position like the 5 button. However what is the point of pressing the 5 button (or any other number) at the end of every phone call. The Talk button is the big red button

Comment

The big red button does two things.

(1. Each gate has a different point of origin, it tells the gate that it's dialing, which gate is dialing it, pointless i know but it's a good explenation =).

(2. It is a very decorative thing for the dhd.
                        Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by daredevil-k's signature using the quote
                        god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

Big button finishes dialing

Comment

big red button is the call button it shouldn't be there, but it is.
                            Spoiler:
                            Originally posted by daredevil-k's signature using the quote
                            god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

i just watched the movie
                              you can dial without a DHD maybe the gates came first and the POO dialing was a holdover from manual dialing
                              And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Working...
                              X