Projectile weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projectile weapons

I'm trying to understand why the SGC and Atlantis teams continue to use traditional military weapons after coming in contact with alien allies that have far superior weaponry. I can undertstand the need for them when fighting the replicators, but other than that, the enemy always has better weapons.

I disagree, projectile weapons have proven to be far more effective than energy weapons on the ground.

They could be improved, but as far as energy weapons go, unless we build a Phaser-like particle beam weapon we won't get much better than we have now.

IMO of course.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Because reverse engineering and contructing energy weapons takes time and money.
      supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

in one episode that i can remember they specifically say that they would rather spend the money building mpore Daedalus class Battlecruisers.
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
          They could be improved, but as far as energy weapons go, unless we build a Phaser-like particle beam weapon we won't get much better than we have now.
          Rapid firing energy weapons would suffice to replace machine guns. Of course, only the Kull warriors had those as far as we can tell, so it would be hard to collect enough of them to be used by SG teams.

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
          Because reverse engineering and contructing energy weapons takes time and money.
          The original poster pointed out that the Tau'ri have offworld allies who could give them weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
            Rapid firing energy weapons would suffice to replace machine guns. Of course, only the Kull warriors had those as far as we can tell, so it would be hard to collect enough of them to be used by SG teams.

The original poster pointed out that the Tau'ri have offworld allies who could give them weapons.
            Which of our allies have enough for every sgc team (at least 25 with avg of 4 people each), base security/extra in armory, off world bases which have several personnel and other teams, 3 ships, Atlantis and all its teams, Atlantis's security, Atlantis's armory.

That would be a very large contribution of weapons.
            supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Which of our allies have enough for every sgc team (at least 25 with avg of 4 people each), base security/extra in armory, off world bases which have several personnel and other teams, 3 ships, Atlantis and all its teams, Atlantis's security, Atlantis's armory.

just have our offworld allies give us like one of each kind and we can just scan them into the asgard core and create them with the conv. tech.
              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Some Tok'ra, such as the one from Endgame, have embedded themselves in major positions of power as minor Goa'uld. They could make it work; either they'd find a way to leave weapons on a planet somewhere to be found later or they could tell the Tau'ri where different offworld warehouses were with little to no security (if there were such locations). Otherwise over the years enough Jaffa have been killed that the SGC soldiers could just take their weapons and they'd have enough for SG teams.

Comment

Some Tok'ra, such as the one from Endgame, have embedded themselves in major positions of power as minor Goa'uld. They could make it work; either they'd find a way to leave weapons on a planet somewhere to be found later or they could tell the Tau'ri where different offworld warehouses were with little to no security (if there were such locations). Otherwise over the years enough Jaffa have been killed that the SGC soldiers could just take their weapons and they'd have enough for SG teams.

the only goauld wepons of any value are zats as staff wepons are just too big and inacurate, and we already have eneough zats. i was thinking of hebridans wepons.
                  STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

we have the X-699 all they need to do is make it smaller, plus it would be just a little too much if we had handheld energy weapons

Comment

They could just make a hand held rail gun. Base it off a current design gun, put a Trinium barrel on it, a small Naqadah power source(like goa'uld staff gun).

Use a standard ammo magazine but since no need for shell casing they can just put a different spring in the magazine and fire the bullet. Since the magazine doesn't need to hold a shell casing they can put quite a bit of ammo in there. Probably like 60-100 bullets per magazine and it won't be that heavy.

Comment

Energy weapons and railguns do give up positions. And it is so expensive and overkill..railguns will only be used against enemy aircraft or shielded targets.

Comment

We have not yet seen any energy weapons which could rival the performance of Earth' projectile weapons in combat- with one exception (the sniper rifle from "Bounty"). They all had issues- whether accuracy (staff weapons, most likely Kull warrior weapons as well- I don't think a wrist-mounted weapon can have adequate accuracy, especially at range), rate of fire (all energy weapons except Kull warriors'), restricted performance (Wraith stunners, non-lethal only) or really poor ergonomics (the Hebridian weapons looked AWKWARD). Plus there's the price factor- you can probably arm a division of soldiers with assault rifles for the price of a handful of energy guns.

The most obvious proof of projectile weapons' superiority is the fact that they are obviously gaining popularity in the galaxy. I submit the Lucian Alliance as the proof.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            They all had issues- whether accuracy (staff weapons, most likely Kull warrior weapons as well- I don't think a wrist-mounted weapon can have adequate accuracy, especially at range)
                            A Kull warrior shot down a UAV in Death Knell. Those things seemed pretty accurate to me.

You're right about the other shortcomings of energy weapons in Stargate though. I guess my main point was that the Kull warrior energy weapons would be very useful, being the only energy weapons we've seen more effective than projectile weapons.

Comment

A Kull warrior shot down a UAV in Death Knell. Those things seemed pretty accurate to me.

You're right about the other shortcomings of energy weapons in Stargate though. I guess my main point was that the Kull warrior energy weapons would be very useful, being the only energy weapons we've seen more effective than projectile weapons.
                              I'm not saying that the Kull Warrior's weapons weren't accurate, but they have a high rate of fire compared to the staff weapons, so hitting a target would be more a case pointing your weapon at your target and spray a load of fire at it, the odds of missing are greatly reduced when compared to single shot energy weapons.

Before we had the Asgard plasma beam weapons I don't understood why they never made a long range Naqueda enhanced Nuke projectile cannon, the actual shell could've been made in such way that the explosive energy be directed towards the target.
                              Something like that probably wouldn't be as powerful as a thousand megatonne Naqueda-Nuclear missile, but if the intended targer was a Wraith vessel then it wouldn't need to be as powerful as that.
                              You just fire a couple of shells at it and up it goes in smoke.
                              Could even be used now, if the beam weapons go offline.
                              With a small projectile space weapon there's less chance of it being shot down by Wraith than a missile.

Comment

Working...
                              X