No announcement yet.

Large Hadron Collider experiment: Big Bang 2, time machine, stargate for satan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Hadron Collider experiment: Big Bang 2, time machine, stargate for satan

No, really, that's the title...

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/...days-larg.html

Wednesday's Large Hadron Collider experiment: Big Bang 2, time machine, stargate for Satan?

The Large Hadron Collider -- a huge particle accelerator spanning the border between Switzerland and France deep underground -- will be turned on tomorrow. by CERN -- Conseil Europeen pour la Recherche Nucleaire, or the European Agency for Nuclear Research. View a live webcast of the event at 4 a.m. Eastern Time Sept. 10, at: http://webcast.cern.ch/.

and

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2359378.htm
    Atom-smashing scientists hope for the unexpected
    Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008

Scientists involved in a historic "Big Bang" experiment to begin this week hope it will turn up many surprises about the universe and its origins, but have rejected suggestions it will bring the end of the world.

Alien invasion fears

CERN says its key researchers and many ordinary staff have been inundated by e-mails voicing fears about the experiment.

There have been claims that it will create "black holes" of intensive gravity sucking in CERN, Europe and perhaps the whole planet, or that it will open the way for beings from another universe to invade through a "worm hole" in space-time.

But a safety review by scientists at CERN and in the United States and Russia, issued at the weekend, rejected the prospect of such outcomes.

"The LHC will enable us to study in detail what nature is doing all around us," Professor Aymar, who has led CERN for five years, said in response to that review.

"The LHC is safe, and any suggestion that it might present a risk is pure fiction."

Professor Cox, from the School of Physics and Astronomy at Britain's Manchester University, was even more trenchant.

"I am immensely irritated by the conspiracy theorists who spread this nonsense around," he said.

*** There is some Stargate mention in the comments section on this article

REST AT LINKS ABOVE, plus you can google.com/news and find lots more on this event.

'listen seedy:

09 Sep 2008 11:50:02am

You have been watching Stargate SG1 and believed it was true. The show is just science fiction and no more,'

Found it.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Here come the Ori. Anyone studied up on their Origin yet?

Comment

Originally posted by User_X View Post
        Here come the Ori. Anyone studied up on their Origin yet?
        Uh.... darn. no....

but wait, the other gloom and doom is that the world or universe will get sucked into a black hole...

Comment

Hallowed are the ori...

Seriously tho, I have been reading this forum for years now and I know there are several knowledgeable people in the field of physics floating around. What are the scientific chances of anything going wrong? I have heard all of the stories of a black hole, mini universe expanding, nibiru invading etc etc. Is there a high enough scientific chance of something happening besides the desired intention of this machine?

Comment

This idea that they might create a black hole that will engulf the world in four days leads to an idea for an SG-1 episode (shame they are no longer made).

Imagine a world where nearly all the energy resources are directed at containing such an accidently created black hole. They have to hide it from the general public whilst at the same time expended nearly all they're resources in containing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              Imagine a world where nearly all the energy resources are directed at containing such an accidently created black hole. They have to hide it from the general public whilst at the same time expended nearly all they're resources in containing it.
              It reminds me of "Earth" from David Brin too. But actually, I'd love that to happen:

Originally posted by prion View Post
              or that it will open the way for beings from another universe to invade through a "worm hole" in space-time.
              Yay wraith, come cull Earth through a wormhole from the Stargate universe! (It sounds very manga, too: An army of demons coming to Earth through a tear in the fabric of the universe...)
              My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
              Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                This idea that they might create a black hole that will engulf the world in four days leads to an idea for an SG-1 episode (shame they are no longer made).

well, if a black hole has to happen, let's hope it sucks up all the politicians first so we can enjoy a little time without all the rhetoric from 'em

Comment

You know those pictures they've been releasing of the LHC, I thought they were kinda Stargate-like

And this must be the third forum I post this in - all these descriptions of what could go wrong remind me of hyperion.
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Shade_of_Chulak View Post
                    Hallowed are the ori...

Seriously tho, I have been reading this forum for years now and I know there are several knowledgeable people in the field of physics floating around. What are the scientific chances of anything going wrong? I have heard all of the stories of a black hole, mini universe expanding, nibiru invading etc etc. Is there a high enough scientific chance of something happening besides the desired intention of this machine?
                    I'm not a physics expert by any means, but I have read up a lot on quantum theory and such (I'm a science geek I can't help it ), and you'd win the lottery long long before the LHC creates a black hole or strangelets and the like.

The very nature of quantum physics, esp. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, means that nothing is impossible, there is always some extremely minute possibility that anything can happen. Like SGA getting a 6th season.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shade_of_Chulak View Post
                      Hallowed are the ori...

ridiculously small. Not impossible, but then again neither is the chance of Earth being hit by an asteroid we didn't detect. The Earth is continuously being hit by cosmic rays that have more energy than anything the LHC can put out, and if it can survive that then we should be alright.

Back during the Manhattan Project, there were a few people predicting nuclear explosions igniting firestorms in the atmosphere and burning the planet down. That is obviously ludicrous, since a nuclear energy contains nowhere near enough energy to do that if in fact igniting a firestorm in an atmosphere is even possible. We know quite alot more about science today than we did back then.

Though I do hope there's a crowbar handy for Dr Freeman in case of Unforeseen Consequences ;o

Comment

If they manage to make a black hole it will last less then mere fractions of a second. There isn't enough mass or energy to sustain a black hole beyond that, let alone have it expand enough to swallow up the earth in a year (it's a year right? That's what they're saying?).

Masssive, MASSIVE Supernovae make sustainable black holes.

or...

If the earth and the moon were both traveling at the speed of light and collided it might make a sustainable black hole. Maybe.

Teeny, tiny particles?

Hmmm, I don't think so. Extremely unlikely.

Of course there's a chance that you may disappear and reappear on the other side of the universe instantaneously as well. But the odds are so small you'll be waiting longer then the lifetime of the universe for that to happen.

(Sorry if I come off a little snobby, I gots me a bugbear with things like this).
                        "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Yeah i read somewhere that there is a very small and remote chance a mini black hole could be created and the entire earth could be destroyed.

Oh well, i guess i'll be holding my breath tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                            The Earth is continuously being hit by cosmic rays that have more energy than anything the LHC can put out, and if it can survive that then we should be alright.
                            Actually, the natural cosmic rays constantly hitting Earth (and about everything in the universe) at higher energy do not sound very convincing. There are things that happen only within certain energy range: Higher energy does not necessarily means more likely to happen.

On the other hand, even if black holes were to be created, they would be so small they would evaporate before anything could happen.

That is, if we believe physics theory is reasonably accurate. But if we don't, there is no reason to even believe in black holes and strangelets, is there?
                            My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                            Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
                              Actually, the natural cosmic rays constantly hitting Earth (and about everything in the universe) at higher energy do not sound very convincing. There are things that happen only within certain energy range: Higher energy does not necessarily means more likely to happen.

On the other hand, even if black holes were to be created, they would be so small they would evaporate before anything could happen.

That is, if we believe physics theory is reasonably accurate. But if we don't, there is no reason to even believe in black holes and strangelets, is there?
                              If Stephen Hawking is ok with it, then we all should be too.

Comment

Working...
                              X