Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creature Creator Dan Rebert Talks to io9 About Alien Influences ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://io9.com/5045729/creature-crea...and-true-blood

We’ve made no secret of our admiration for special effects artists. This week, we got to talk with Dan Rebert, the Effects Producer for MastersFX, the house that created the aliens of Stargate Atlantis and Slither. Rebert told us all about his cultural influences, talked Stargate, and gave us the inside scoop on the fang physiology behind his current project, HBO series True Blood.

What influences you when you approach designing these monsters and aliens?

Well the biggest influence, I think myself and what I try to project to the shop, is to look at the natural kingdom for ideas. I hear so many people – other creature designers, other shop owners, things of that nature – say everything’s been done before. But meanwhile, I turn on the Discovery Channel and I see mammals, amphibians, crustaceans – stuff that I’ve never seen before, and I’ve always been a big fan of nature shows and stuff like that. And I think, I’m 40 years old and I’m still seeing new creatures on Earth. And that’s where we should be looking for designs as opposed to looking for old movies or other artists’ interpretations of what monsters should look like.

REST AT LINK ABOVE
Working...
X