Space gates, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space gates, why?

A quick question, it may have been asked but I couldn't find it.

Who put the Pegasus gates in space? It doesn't seem like a Ancient thing to do, not everyone had jumpers. It also seems odd that the Wraith would do it as they would lose their food supply.

They are quiet capable of flying darts through planetary gates. Maybe the ancients did it to make te wraith's job harder?

Space gates seem to be placed on worlds where there may be danger on the surface.

Comment

Defence? Having the gate in space gives more warning from a gate based invasion or in the case of ground troops eliminates the threat completely.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

All speculation, but I think it could have been an attempt to keep the Wraith from spreading before they had developed their ship technology.

Comment

I always thought it was the Wraith, what better way to keep your food supply where you want it to be?
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Maybe it was some races prank, you know, primitive people step through the gate, enjoy a few minutes of good view while they die a horrifiyng death

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

I thought the Ancients placed gates in space around worlds that had human populations that had not advanced to a certain point. This was to make sure that no other human worlds could exploit them. Once that world reached a certain level they would lower the gate down to the planet connecting it to the rest of the network.

I think the Ancients were able to monitor these worlds and make these determinations using the device from "The Game", I believe that is the name of the Atlantis episode.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAccended View Post
                I thought the Ancients placed gates in space around worlds that had human populations that had not advanced to a certain point. This was to make sure that no other human worlds could exploit them. Once that world reached a certain level they would lower the gate down to the planet connecting it to the rest of the network.

I think the Ancients were able to monitor these worlds and make these determinations using the device from "The Game", I believe that is the name of the Atlantis episode.
                Or perhaps they just put them on worlds where they intended to monitor Humans, (but most Humans remained free to roam around) and they did so simply to ensure the environment would remain controlled. That way their guinea pigs couldn't dial out and other Humans couldn't dial in and mix with the guinea pig population. Then the Wraith came in, took over some of those worlds, culled others to extinction, etc.

Comment

I think each planet with a space gate has its own reason for having one.

Wether it be hostile conditions or some pending experiment.
                  sigpic
                  ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

The Wraith moved them there to render certain gates for their exclusive use, either to contain and isolate certain human populations, or to protect their own sites from anyone wandering through the gate network.

That's always been my explanation.

Comment

diversification though isolation, those who are isolated cannot move and develop differently, for example there may be nothing completely "mythical" on their planet so it wouldnt support their belief in magic therefore they could be more science based which when they discover the gate they would be mature enough to understand it was not magical. Possibly a study, but the unfortunate rise of the wraith made them prisoners before they could defend themselves.
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

To prevent people with spacecraft for traveling through the gate

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          The Wraith moved them there to render certain gates for their exclusive use, either to contain and isolate certain human populations, or to protect their own sites from anyone wandering through the gate network.

That's always been my explanation.
                          In "Ghost in the machine" we saw that space gates have maneuvering thruster that keep the gate in orbit. They don't look Wraith in design but rather "ancienty" implying it was the Ancients who put the gates in space.

Comment

to secure your facilities. after all, if noone returned from a planet, you would stop going there right?

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
                              In "Ghost in the machine" we saw that space gates have maneuvering thruster that keep the gate in orbit. They don't look Wraith in design but rather "ancienty" implying it was the Ancients who put the gates in space.

i agree, it would have to have been the aincents who put them there. as to why, we dont know. it was never mentioned on the show and any possibilities would be purely speculation, but maybe we'll find out in stargate universe, although thats unlikely.
                              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Working...
                              X