Stargate at the Democratic Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate at the Democratic Convention

Ah, soon Stargate will be as 'pop culture' a term as Star Trek...

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...in_denver.html

excerpt:

As I look at the ginormous Roman Temple (Or is it the Lincoln Monument? Or the Brandenburg Gate? Or the Goa'uld Temple from Stargate SG-1?) that has been built for Obama in Mile High Stadium, I wondered about its imagery. As long as Barack doesn't show up in a gold laurel wreath, he may be able to use its classical ambiance to enhance his persona - it augurs well, as the saying goes.

FULL ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE

Well, no, not very coherent or well written, and not really very sure what it is about roman columns that look like an evil alien temple that augurs well, and it's an astrology website, so I think it could still be a while before SG-1 qualifies for general pop-culture referencing.

In all honesty, I think one of the reasons SG-1 and Atlantis have never quite broken through to genuine cult status in a pop-culture sense is that they're just a bit, well, square. And I say that as a fan.
    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Working...
    X