Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover: Money (and Energy) for Nothing (ZedPM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover: Money (and Energy) for Nothing (ZedPM)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/sc...y-for-nothing/

Money (and Energy) for Nothing

On the TV series Stargate Atlantis, the current installment from the Stargate
    franchise, a device small enough to be held in your hands provides the energy
    for an entire city. Called a Zero Point Module, the device glows with golden
    light and produces an almost unlimited supply of clean energy. But it seems
    that the ZPM is an unrealistic little gizmo because it somehow creates energy
    from… well, nothing, and therefore, the thing belongs in a prop room shelved
    somewhere between the Flux Capacitor and the One Ring. But what if it was real?

REST AT LINK ABOVE

It never ceases to amaze me when some impossible sci-fi device has some sort of down-graded real world version but...a real life ZPM! Brilliant!
    sigpic
    Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

Sweet so were making ZPM's now wicked
      This isn't Atlantis?
      I don't think so.
      If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Comment

It is a fact that energy can form fom "nothing"
        only, so far the only thing we can get out of a vacuum is 1 foton

that is a little less than a zpm

Comment

Originally posted by Frontastic View Post
          It never ceases to amaze me when some impossible sci-fi device has some sort of down-graded real world version but...a real life ZPM! Brilliant!
          when they can get one to power your car and heat your house, we can toss out heating oil and gas!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            when they can get one to power your car and heat your house, we can toss out heating oil and gas!
            Just don't overload it or there could be...complications.
            sigpic
            Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

Well, the idea of vacuum energy isn't anything new. It isn't energy from nothing, it's something to do with the vibrations of the universe, isn't it?
              sigpic

Comment

Close enough. In a quantum system (i.e. the universe), you cannot reach 0 energy; there will always be a ground state that will have a finite amount of energy that, I suppose, you can tap into.

Comment

galaxy on orions belt... remember the cat's belt? Men in Black.... Thats more than a ZPM. So... ZPM is a Big BS.

Comment

Working...
                  X