The Shrine of Talus (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shrine of Talus (SPOILERS)

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 5 "THE SHRINE"!!! Read on at your peril and eternal damnation....

Okay so in "The Shrine" they take Mckay to Talus where they are able to remove a parasite from his brain due to a "shrine" that is emitting radiation that is detrimental to the parasite. its very quickly 'explained' (the team guesses) that its some sort of ancient tech that is emitting radiation. We know for sure it is ancient due to the writing on it, what im wondering though is:

"WHAT IS IT?"

Ancient tech we havnt come across before, must be worth a bit of investigation eh? What are your theories, speculations etc???

I think one of the team mentioned anti matter, this imediately think of the experiment CERN are conducting with their super collider which creates anti mater and mini blackholes (if i remember correctly, please let me know if im wrong). My thinking is this was some sort of ancient experiment to do with power generation (anti matter is extremely powerful stuff) and the radiation is a remnant from that experiment. Also i wonder if there is something special to do with the planet that made the ancient choose for their experiment. The wraith also chose it during the war against the replicators and i wonder if the planet has minerals, properties etc that make it unique/rare and therefore tactically valuable. I dont think its a coincidence that both races chose the same planet when the wraith didnt even know the shrine was there.

anyway... ive rambled on enough, thoughts?

they said it used ionized radiation or w/e
    sigpic

Comment

While Jeannie did throw out the word antimatter, Rodney immediately said after that that it was "a super heavy element the ancients used to use as an energy source."

I speculate we're either seeing the intermediate step between naquadah and z.p.m.'s as far as in terms of what the ancients used for power, or the pre-naquadah power source they used to use. As to why both the Ancients and wraith choose the same planet thousands of years apart, it may be possible that the wraith knew that planet had once been an ancient outpost/research facility/whatever and decided to make a base there not only just to make a base but to see (if they didn't already know) what the ancients had done there. I'm not too sure on this speculation though as it looked like the wraith hadn't discovered that cave.

and if I may, I see that you are relatively new here. I am also very impressed you thought to include spoiler space (and therefore worry about spoilers at all) because not a lot of new posters tend to do that. I just figured I would tell/show you the spoiler tag. It's basically outlined here whereby if you use it, anything you contain within the spoiler tags
      Spoiler:
      ends up like this.
      While you don't need to use it, most people do as it gives a cleaner look. Not trying to criticize or anything, just telling you about it in case you didn't know.

Comment

Jeannie said it was emitting ionizing radiation. Meaning that anything exposed to it is slowly ionized. So far we know of nothing that emits ionizing radiation, we cant be sure it is antimatter, because have not produced enough yet.

Comment

So far we know of nothing that emits ionizing radiation,

we do, i believe americum

Comment

It uses ionized radiation where the parasite is sensitive too.

Comment

not to mention uranium, plutonium, alpha and beta radiation are ionizing

Comment

Working...
              X