Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Gate Related Questions

Hi

I hope these issues haven't been covered before, I guess I'll have to face the consequences if they have

1- In Stargate Continuum (and I know it happened in an episode somewhere, but I can't remember which one..) when the earth gate is dialled we can actually hear each chevron locking! This is never the case, apart from those two examples I can think of. It doesn't make sense, because if someone was dialling TO earth, our Stargate shouldn't know it's being dialled until all seven glyphs have been pressed; at which point the gate would open immediately.. I hope that makes sense to someone out there.

2- In Atlantis, are the glyphs at designated spots all around the Stargate? I've not been dedicated enough to actually pause and watch and compare between episodes. But if the gate doesn't spin, the same seven glyphs are always alight when the gate is active? Is this true..

Anyway, hopefully you can shed some light on these

Be kind

Originally posted by hbuddyholly View Post
    Hi

I hope these issues haven't been covered before, I guess I'll have to face the consequences if they have

1- In Stargate Continuum (and I know it happened in an episode somewhere, but I can't remember which one..) when the earth gate is dialled we can actually hear each chevron locking! This is never the case, apart from those two examples I can think of. It doesn't make sense, because if someone was dialling TO earth, our Stargate shouldn't know it's being dialled until all seven glyphs have been pressed; at which point the gate would open immediately.. I hope that makes sense to someone out there.
    The last time I remember hearing the chervon locked sound was from the season 1. I also remember seeing Apophis' symbol on Teal'c's head upside down too.
    2- In Atlantis, are the glyphs at designated spots all around the Stargate? I've not been dedicated enough to actually pause and watch and compare between episodes. But if the gate doesn't spin, the same seven glyphs are always alight when the gate is active? Is this true..

Anyway, hopefully you can shed some light on these

Be kind
    I beleive it is like a lightbrite, where there are an equal number of dots that can light up, but only the ones that create the specific symbol do.

Comment

Haha, I don't remember Apophis' symbol being upside down! Do you remember which episode that was?

I think the episode I'm thinking of was in season 4 or 5.. For the chevron noises.

Thanks for your answer, that makes a lot of sense for the Atlantis gates.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by hbuddyholly View Post

1- In Stargate Continuum (and I know it happened in an episode somewhere, but I can't remember which one..)

not 100% sure but i'd say the one in S8 when Anubis is about to use the Dakara device

Comment

For number one, my guess is this: - Every time someone begins dialing a DHD, a signal is sent to every available gate requesting information to check its availability. If someone were to dial Earth, the DHD would recognise the first few symbols and begin contacting every single gate/DHD on the network that has the first three symbols in their address (not in the form of lighting-up chevrons, merely a quick request to the DHD, like a "ping".)

As the person continues dialing, the number of gates/DHDs on the network decreases until the address is completed and narrowed down to one single gate, in this case: Earth. Earth doesn't have a DHD, which means that when the dialing DHD contacts Earth's gate, the signal reaches the computer where a DHD would be, which then begins processing the symbol/address information. If the computer doesn't recognise the incoming address then the processing time is slower meaning the gate manually spins the dialing circle until the processing is finished. If, however, the gate recognises the incoming address, the gate lights up one chevron at a time and opens quicker. Think of Sam Carter's speed-dialing program, only in reverse.
          "You wanna run this ship?"
          "YES!"
          "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

sorry about the unrelated question but dropstitch's post made me think about it :3

Shouldn't we able to see the "caller ID" ? Atlantis had it's gate blocked except it dialed from earth (so we know that either the gate, the DHD or Atlantis systems can tell who's dialing)

Comment

Originally posted by Gersho View Post
              sorry about the unrelated question but dropstitch's post made me think about it :3

Shouldn't we able to see the "caller ID" ? Atlantis had it's gate blocked except it dialed from earth (so we know that either the gate, the DHD or Atlantis systems can tell who's dialing)
              Well, it stands to reason that the Ancients had more advanced diagnostic technology to analyze the inner-workings of a DHD, so they could do more with a gate's dialing systems, allowing for the blocking of certain addresses.. etc.

I think the Stargates/DHDs are capable of basic communication with one-another via sub-space. Once an address is dialed, a wake-up request is sent to the destination DHD to wake it up and request information as to whether it's available and working. Once the destination DHD sends the information back to the source DHD, the dialing process occurs and a wormhole is established. Since Earth has no DHD, the signal being interpreted/relayed back to the source takes longer as it requires more time to process an address than a DHD does.
              "You wanna run this ship?"
              "YES!"
              "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

It was The Enemy Withing where the symbol was upside down, and where you would hear the chevrons locking when there was an inbound traveler.

It was on last night on Sci-Fi.

Comment

Working...
                X