This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranks of Atlantis expedition?

How does the rank-system look like for the Atlantis expedition?

Who is in command after Sheppard (I take it he is the military commander, what position are in charge after this position rank-wise)?
    "History will never be the same again..."
    "Indeed!"
    "No kidding..!"
    "If you say so..!"
    "Here we go again..!"
    "Never say never..!"

Just the head of the expedition. So Weir in seasons 1 - 3. Carter in season 4 and Woolsey in season 5.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Continuum View Post
      Who is in command after Sheppard (I take it he is the military commander, what position are in charge after this position rank-wise)?
      Well, in terms of the entirety of Atlantis, from the way it's been demonstrated on show I'm pretty certain it's: Woolsey- Sheppard- Teyla- Lorne- McKay(?) - Keller(?)- Zelenka(?).

Now, this is just what's been shown, with Shep putting Teyla in command at the beginning of Lifeline, though Lorne was on the Apollo at the time, so he could be above her. However, after Teyla and Lorne I'm assuming it's the heads of the various departments: McKay(Research), Keller(Medical), Zelenka(Technical), Ops Guy(Chuck?), yadi-yada

If you're wondering how time travel works, and other science facts
      Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a kickass show, I should really just relax'

Muh Arts-like Thingies

Comment

Originally posted by The TARDIS View Post
        Well, in terms of the entirety of Atlantis, from the way it's been demonstrated on show I'm pretty certain it's: Woolsey- Sheppard- Teyla- Lorne- McKay(?) - Keller(?)- Zelenka(?).

Now, this is just what's been shown, with Shep putting Teyla in command at the beginning of Lifeline, though Lorne was on the Apollo at the time, so he could be above her. However, after Teyla and Lorne I'm assuming it's the heads of the various departments: McKay(Research), Keller(Medical), Zelenka(Technical), Ops Guy(Chuck?), yadi-yada

If you're going by military rank, I'd say Lorne would be next after Shepard. The rest are civilians. And if Woolsey was absent, he'd probably assign McKay to be in charge - though when Weir or Sam were gone, I had the feeling Teyla was in charge.

Comment

Woolsey is in charge as head followed by sheppard and mckay as military and science heads respectively, Lorne is sheppards XO and military 2IC. Same goes for Radek, he's Mckays 2nd.
          If something happens to woolsey then either sheppard or Mckay is in charge of atlantis depending on the situation.
          Keller is head of medical and as such could override anybodys decisions on medical grounds (like kellers got the balls to even try).

Comment

Exactly.

Weir/Carter/Woolsey are Atlantis base commanders. They come first.

Sheppard is head of the military component on Atlantis, which arguably has superiority to science as it's about security. Sheppard is in essence Atlantis 2IC. Major Lorne is Shep's 2IC and thus next in line for command of Atlantis as usually should anything happen to the base IC it will be due to a security threat.

Teyla and Ronon have no right to take charge of Atlantis, they are simply team members. Daniel Jackson or Teal'c or Carter had no right to run the SGC in Hammond's absence, but Jack, as 2IC (which I strongly contest, but hey) did.

Just because you're on a flag ship team, it doesn't give you authority over others.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, its confusing since there are military and civilians.
              "History will never be the same again..."
              "Indeed!"
              "No kidding..!"
              "If you say so..!"
              "Here we go again..!"
              "Never say never..!"

Comment

Indeed. Basically you have to pretty much discount the scientists from the command structure, their job is science, that's it. The military is about command and defence, so logically should the civilian base OC become compromised, then the military would take over.

However, logically one would expect there would be more than just one "administration" officer, ie Weir/Woolsey, have we EVER seen anyone other than Weir, Woolsey or Carter wearing the red trade designation on their uniform? As far as I'm aware no. If there was, then they would most likely be the base 2IC, as it stands I'm sticking with Shep here as 2IC and Lorne as 3IC.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Are we talking rank-wise, administration-wise, or how they actually operate?

McKay claimed that he is 3IC of the Expedition since he's the only other Senior Member/Department Head.
                  sigpic
                  "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

Weir, Carter, and Woolsey are base commanders, they're in charge.

In terms of military command, Sheppard is number one. Lorne looks to be second in command.

Teyla seems to have some high ranking administrative skills. She has taken over the base at numerous times.

Rodney is the head of the science and research department, and after rewatching The Siege he's definitely senior personel.

I'm tempted to say Ronon is in charge of base security after Bates left, but I'm not sure.
                    Rush rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      However, logically one would expect there would be more than just one "administration" officer, ie Weir/Woolsey, have we EVER seen anyone other than Weir, Woolsey or Carter wearing the red trade designation on their uniform? As far as I'm aware no. If there was, then they would most likely be the base 2IC, as it stands I'm sticking with Shep here as 2IC and Lorne as 3IC.
                      Teyla's uniform has the red stripe in season 4, I'm not sure if she wore them before that.

But I do agree that the Atlantis chain of command probably now goes Woolsey, Sheppard, and then Lorne, with Teyla probably only getting command in unique situations like Lifeline when neither Sheppard or Lorne were on Atlantis.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infernorhythm View Post
                        Weir, Carter, and Woolsey are base commanders, they're in charge.
                        actually only Sam was base commander, Weir and Woolsey were/are base administrators
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                          Are we talking rank-wise, administration-wise, or how they actually operate?

McKay claimed that he is 3IC of the Expedition since he's the only other Senior Member/Department Head.
                          Yeah, McKay did in the Long Goodbye and Caldwell didn't seem to dispute that fact either (except he claimed leadership because it was a military situation). He also assumed since he was next in line behind Elizabeth that he would replace her when she went missing so I think that he's definately 3IC unless a military situation arose and then there might be some dispute about him assuming the leadership role.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmac View Post
                            Yeah, McKay did in the Long Goodbye and Caldwell didn't seem to dispute that fact either (except he claimed leadership because it was a military situation). He also assumed since he was next in line behind Elizabeth that he would replace her when she went missing so I think that he's definately 3IC unless a military situation arose and then there might be some dispute about him assuming the leadership role.
                            Therefore, it would be

Operations:
                            Woolsey>Shep>McKay>Lorne

Military:
                            Woolsey>Shep>Caldwell/Ellis (if available)>Lorne

And I'm pretty sure that Jack outranks everyone.
                            sigpic
                            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

I think in Carter's case, that it would have been more interesting to have some conflict between Shephard and Sam regarding direction of the military aspect of Atlantis, since both are military.
                              That is just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X