This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any good space scifi television left

With Battlestar galactica and Atlantis ending is there any space based science fiction left on t.v. or in the works to fill the void?

P.S. don't talk to me about SGU, dodgy premise+cancelling atlantis to make it has left me unenthused
    sigpic

who says atlantis is ending? as far as i know it hasn't been renewed, but neither is it canceled.
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Y'know, I don't think there IS any good space-based scifi out there right now. Not currently airing, anyway. There's a Star Wars show in the works, I think, but I have a feeling it'll be a while before that comes around.

EDIT: Does Doctor Who count? I tend not to think of it as space based since they're usually on Earth and it's more about the time aspect than the space one.
      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 20 August 2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Who counts, although I wish they'd stay away from daleks and cybermen. Try to invent some new lore rather than dragging up old enemies for all the big episodes/story arcs

P.S. I'm getting tired of everything revolving around modern day earth, space is BIG can't they find anything new to right about
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
          who says atlantis is ending? as far as i know it hasn't been renewed, but neither is it canceled.
          Browse around the forum a bit. It has been canceled.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            Browse around the forum a bit. It has been canceled.
            just seen, fair enough
            sigpic
            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
            -Liberty Prime

Comment

That sucks! I can't believe they cancelled SGA. And no excluding Doctor Who I can't think of ANY space based sci fi on tv now. Much less any GOOD space based sci fi shows. Maybe we'll get something soon. I hope. I need space sci fi.

And damn the sci fi channel for systematically killing every show that I love while keeping crap like Ghosthunters on forever.
              Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

No unfortuately, Sci-Fi wants to Kill the Sci-Fi genre.

It is truely an end of an Era imho.

There isn't any new Sci-FI shows ever going to come on the Sci-Fi channel. They want to profit from re-runs and don't want other channels to purchase the rights.

Comment

but SGA being cancelled doesn't mean it's going to end?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
                    With Battlestar galactica and Atlantis ending is there any space based science fiction left on t.v. or in the works to fill the void?

P.S. don't talk to me about SGU, dodgy premise+cancelling atlantis to make it has left me unenthused
                    None that I can think of.... Theres Doctor Who buts thats on a gap year during 2009 (only 3 or 4 specials) and it has short seasons anyway...

Other than that this area of TV Sci-Fi has died... welcome to the nonstop dross of Big Brother and X-factor
                    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                      yes the rumors are true on SGA, it is canceled by Skiffy

and battlestar is over-rated
                      it had about one or two good seasons before the show went crap and turned into some doomy love boat in space BS

Comment

Battlestar didn't really capture my interest any way, but when it comes back from hiatus next year they'll finish the entire series up and that will be it. If you want sci fi set in space you're going to have to turn to books for the forseeable future. This is a sad day indeed.

globex: well said. The sci fi channel is turning increasinglly to realitty tv and wrestling neither of which I feel fall under the domain of a channel name SCI FI and letting all the good shows go. I have to admit that I half like Eureka and that's it. They've got nothin now.
                        Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

gapinthemarket! i say no more!!
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

I was actually thinking of making a thread like this.

But with Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar ending there isn't going to be any good shows left on TV (except maybe simpsons / family guy). All they seem to have on most channels is boring reality shows.
                            sigpic

Comment

You know, I'm not in despair. It's just a trend. Space shows just aren't popular right now. However, if Star Trek proves a worthwhile movie, that may change in the next few years. As for "good" shows, I don't think Atlantis ever qualified as the greatest in terms of space fi but maybe that's just me. I'm actually looking forward to the trend dying for a while and making a good come back when current trends die down. It will be ok. It's not like all good TV died.

In the interim there is some stuff waiting in the wings worth looking forward to if they work out. Virtuality, Dollhouse, Warehouse 13, Fringe, True Blood, Sanctuary.....

Normally I'd be more disappointed about Atlantis but it never really met my expectations. It was entertaining enough but it doesn't inspire any heartfelt loyalty. I'm much more interested in viewing what's coming up.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Working...
                              X