Moving a space gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a space gate

Hypothetically speaking. What would be the best way to move a space gate to a different location, with just the availability of a puddle jumper?
    BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
    Hypothetically speaking. What would be the best way to move a space gate to a different location, with just the availability of a puddle jumper?
    Make sure it is shut down and wont be dialled. Fly into the middle, open the flight pods... and fly away with it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Hmm. If you only want to move the gate in-system, just extend the jumper's engine pods and deliberately fly into the gate (without a wormhole, obviously). Just don't make any sudden stops, and pay attention to whether or not the gate is active - a jumper might not be enough to stop the gate activating, it might just get severed and kawooshed by the event horizon. And if you're moving it to a new planet, it would likely be a long trip. Don't know how fast Jumpers go, but it's definitely sublight.

Then again, jumpers appear to have a means of carrying things beneath them - like in Hot Zone, The Return pt 2, that one with Shep in the time acceleration ancient ascension academy thing..., so maybe that's a safer option.

Given how tough gates are, you could probably move the gate to a planet's surface, but the lack of an actual DHD, instead of the spacegate's three power node things might be an issue.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Can a puddle jumper navigate the space gate via remote seeing as they are both ancient technology?

Spoiler:
        Having seen the beginning of Ghost in the Machine, the space gate repositioned itself having been knocked by the puddle, which begged the question on how to move one.

titan_hq Make sure it is shut down and wont be dialled. Fly into the middle, open the flight pods... and fly away with it.
        Certainly like the idea.
        BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Can a puddle jumper navigate the space gate via remote seeing as they are both ancient technology?

Spoiler:
          Having seen the beginning of Ghost in the Machine, the space gate repositioned itself having been knocked by the puddle, which begged the question on how to move one.

Certainly like the idea.
          I'm sure they were originally placed by auroras, but I suppose you could remote-fly it. It may be even easier to get an F-302 and tow it.
          Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

We could if the stabilizersystem is deactivated. We just give it a push and it will move towards the desired location and then we slow it down and place it in the right location. Moving it with a large ship is much easier though. Maybe the grappling hooks of the 302 can move it just like the meteorite.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and help. One catch with the 302’s, the story I’m writing is season one based, so limited to what I can use.
              BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and help. One catch with the 302’s, the story I’m writing is season one based, so limited to what I can use.
                Didn't realise you were writing a story - best of luck. Does this add any conditions, restrictions or such to the idea of moving the gate, like time frames, need for stealth, natural (or unnatural) hazards or enemies?

It does sound like the Puddle Jumper with engine pods extended is the way to go - and depending on the context, the threat of the gate opening while the Jumper's carrying it could add tension and drama...if you want!
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

or just hack the powernodes and reprogramm its position

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
                    I'm sure they were originally placed by auroras, but I suppose you could remote-fly it. It may be even easier to get an F-302 and tow it.

i doubt that because the aurora is a military vessel and they didnt make one until the wraith came along. after all what was the need. it was proboly some other kind if ship. most likely it will be the same ship thats gonna be in stargate universe.
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Working...
                    X