This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science of Journeyman

NBC's Journeyman was my favorite new series of the 2007 fall season. Shame it was cancelled...it was really was a great show.

Anyway, I've come up with a scientific explanation of the time travel in the show. As explained in the next to last episode The Hanged Man, it all has to do with the "Joseph Lee Comet" that passed the Earth on the day Dan was born.

Here's my theory:

The Joseph Lee Comet is not native to this universe. It was brought into our solar system through an inter-dimensional rift centuries ago. This rift was caused by an astronomical explosion in another universe, a realm where physical laws as we know them do not pertain.

The comet emits a radiation that is undetectable to human perceptions and technology. Since the comet is from another universe, this radiation is not governed by the same laws of physics that radiation native to this universe is. When the Joseph Lee Comet passes the Earth it showers the planet with the unique radiation, which has no harmful effect on Earth's life and in less than a day dissipates into the vacuum of space.

However, there are a handful of people who are permanently effected by the radiation. Due to a genetic anamoly these people possess a unique protein which the radiation binds to. This can only happen at a specific time. The cumulative effects of the Earth's biosphere after only a few hours will prevent the binding from happening, as will the inside of the uterus. All of this means that those few people who can be effected by radiation from the Joseph Lee Comet will only be effected right after birth and the exact day the comet's radiation is showering the planet. In other words, they have to be born during the day the comet is passing by the Earth.

What the imbued radiation does is interact with the quantum structures of the complex neurons of the human brain to cause the functioning nervous system to produce a very special energetic field that exist as an energy-based lifeform. The lifeform permiates a person's entire body and takes form as an inconspicuous energy pattern linked to the natural electromagnetic field of that person's body. Since this energy lifeform is created by a radiation of non-Einsteinian physics, it has two aspects that defy the conventional laws of physics. The first aspect is that it is tuned into and casually perceives the universal field that binds the superstring structure of the universe together, which gives it something of a universal awareness. The other aspect is that the energy lifeform can actually manipulate the structure of the universe, specifically the space-time continuum. Although only in relation to the person the lifeform inhabits. The specific manipulation the lifeform is capable of is a warping and folding of time itself, which actually induces time travel. Since the lifeform's power literally involves a fundamental alteration of reality itself, this time travel can include paradoxes.

This time travel occurs only for certain reasons. This is because of the nature of the lifeform's consciousness and its universal awareness. The sentience of the lifeform is tied into its host's own consciousness and as a result, its actions are based on the person's superego and innate human empathy. The lifeform has a social consciousness. As a result, at some point in the person's life, the lifeform will start to regularly transport them into the past in order to help change the outcome of people's lives for the better. Each series of 'jumps' into the past follows the life of a person whose destiny the time traveler is meant to change. The first jump is typically several decades into the past; through a series of jumps, the traveler jumps nearer to the present, usually years at a time. The lifeform knows about these events and the ripple effects of changing them because of its universal awareness. It also feeds the objectives of the 'missions' to the time traveler through subconscious programming, which manifest in the form of a 'gut feeling' of what they are supposed to accomplish.

These 'shifts' through time occur seemingly at random. The time traveler is missing from the present for a period of time unrelated to the period he or she spends in the past. The only indication a person has to an oncoming jump is a feeling in their head which varies from right before they jump to several seconds of warning. They do not arrive in the same location they departed, but instead arrive near the person they are supposed to help. The jumps are typically restricted to the region they left from, usually keeping the time traveler in the same city and its surrounding area.
    Last edited by Kapitalist; 19 August 2008, 03:53 PM. Reason: minor fix

Hmm interesting. The way I thought about it was that somehow Dan's personal timeline became disconnected from the universal timeline and th eend of it was just sorta floating around in the ether until it became entangled with another person's personal timeline (or a fixed point in their timeline, somewhat like an anchor). At that point there was tension exerted on Dan's timeline which dragged him into the past. However Dan's timeline acted somewhat like a bungie cord or rubberband which would reach a point where the tension would fling him back into the present. He would then bounce around that anchor point until he actually reached it, after which his timeline would be disentangled from it and he would return to the present. So basically I think Dan Vasser was a temporal bungie jumper.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Hmm interesting. The way I thought about it was that somehow Dan's personal timeline became disconnected from the universal timeline and th eend of it was just sorta floating around in the ether until it became entangled with another person's personal timeline (or a fixed point in their timeline, somewhat like an anchor). At that point there was tension exerted on Dan's timeline which dragged him into the past. However Dan's timeline acted somewhat like a bungie cord or rubberband which would reach a point where the tension would fling him back into the present. He would then bounce around that anchor point until he actually reached it, after which his timeline would be disentangled from it and he would return to the present. So basically I think Dan Vasser was a temporal bungie jumper.
      That's also interesting. But it still leaves a lot unexplained. Maybe you should expand that theory and post it.

Comment

Great theories...both of them. Thanks for taking the time to write them up.

I loved Journeyman.

Comment

Wow! Definitely some very interesting theories.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

So is this Extra-Universal Energy connected throughout all the Travellers? The three we've seen have lives that all seem to be interconnected.

Namely Livia helping Dan's full-fill his journeys' purpose and Evan dying moments before Dan experienced his first journey.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
              So is this Extra-Universal Energy connected throughout all the Travellers? The three we've seen have lives that all seem to be interconnected.

Namely Livia helping Dan's full-fill his journeys' purpose and Evan dying moments before Dan experienced his first journey.
              I imagine the energy lifeforms' universal awareness gives them all a telepathic-like bond.

Comment

Working...
              X