This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Earth: The Final Conflict

I'm not a fan of Earth the Final Conflict, but it wasn't all that bad as far as sci-fi goes. I had a few questions for anyone who might want to guess or who actually knows.

1. If the Taelons took on the Goa'uld in a battle/war, who would win and why? I think the Goa'uld because the Taelons were not very good military strategists and seemed to lack insight into other species.

2. Were the Jaridians and Atavus originally Taelons or completely different species?

1. I think the Taelons might win. They had some pretty powerful technology, and their volunteer army seems a lot more competant than the Jaffa. But if we're talking Kull warriors vs. Taelons, the Goa'uld have much better chances.

2. Originally there were the Atavus. They apparently had a pretty big empire. The leader of the empire had a fight with his son, and that son was the main Atavus from the last season. The son went to Earth and started up his own thing there, but he and his people had to go into stasis to survive a meteor storm. Meanwhile, there was an Atavus scientist on the homeworld who was experimenting on ways to extend the Atavus lifespan. Somehow the entire Atavus species, aside from the ones in stasis on Earth, underwent his experiment. All the Atavus were split into two new species: Taelons and Jaridians. The Taelons took almost all of the original Atavus' Core Energy, while the Jaridians had a miniscule amount. Because of this the Taelon lifespan was huge, while the Jaridians' was only around 20 years. The Jaridians didn't like this so they went to war with the Taelons over the Core Energy. Over thousands of years the Taelons started losing the war and running out of Core Energy, so they went to the planet who's inhabitants had the most potential to help them: Earth. That's pretty much when the series starts.
    Last edited by Lexx; 10 November 2004, 08:44 AM.
    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
      1. I think the Taelons might win. They had some pretty powerful technology, and teir volunteer army seems a lot more competant than the Jaffa. But if we're talking Kull warriors vs. Taelons, the Goa'uld have much better chances.

2. Originally there were the Atavus. They apparently had a pretty big empire. The leader of the empire had a fight with his son, and that son was the main Atavus from the last season. The son went to Earth and started up his own thing there, but he and his people had to go into stasis to survive a meteor storm. Meanwhile, there was an Atavus scientist on the homeworld who was experimenting on ways to extend the Atavus lifespan. Somehow the entire Atavus species, aside from the ones in stasis on Earth, underwent his experiment. All the Atavus were split into two new species: Taelons and Jaridians. The Taelons took almost all of the oringal Atavus' Core Energy, while the Jaridians had a miniscule amount. Because of this the Taelon lifespan was huge, while the Jaridians was only aroun 20 years. The Jaridians didn't like this so they went to war with the Taelons over the Core Energy. Over thousands of years the Taelons started losing the war and running out of Core Energy, so they went to the planet who's inhabitants had the most potential to help them: Earth. That's pretty much when the series starts.
      Thanks! That was pretty informative. You sure know a lot about the series. I take it you liked it or something! Did you notice that the Atavus are similar to the Wraith?

Comment

Earth: Final Conflict was one of my favorite shows. I thought the last season was really bad, but luckily that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the other seasons.

Actually, the Atavus/Wraith similarity never occured to me. You're right though. They are very similar. Freakishly similar, I'd even say. Maybe the SG:A writers "borrowed" their ideas for the Wraith from E:FC
        MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I thought the first few seasons sucked , Boon was a ******.

But the show had alot of amazing stories and fit Gene rodenberry quality.

I liked some of the last season , It was kind of nice to be abled to dump the Tealons and have somthing different.

The biggest loss to the Tealons was losing the ability to reproduce ,The Geridians had short lives but they could reproduce naturally , Actually I think their lifespans are the same as humans , The Tealons have incredible lifespans going on for hundreds of years.
          The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Thanks Lexx for that explanation! I didn't really watch the show during the last 2 seasons but what i've seen of season 5 it looked pretty lame. I mean from what i understand of the plot is interesting it's just most of the stories in the episodes were poorly written.

There's one thing i'm confused about, in the season 5 opening Rene's voice over says the Talons true agenda was to dominate us. Is that accually true? I allways saw the Talons as a very passive race who had no evil intetions at all. And from what i read of the season 4 finally Liam risked his life to save the Talons aswell as the Jaridians. Am i missing something here?

Comment

1. I think the Taelons might win. They had some pretty powerful technology, and their volunteer army seems a lot more competant than the Jaffa. But if we're talking Kull warriors vs. Taelons, the Goa'uld have much better chances.

2. Originally there were the Atavus. They apparently had a pretty big empire. The leader of the empire had a fight with his son, and that son was the main Atavus from the last season. The son went to Earth and started up his own thing there, but he and his people had to go into stasis to survive a meteor storm. Meanwhile, there was an Atavus scientist on the homeworld who was experimenting on ways to extend the Atavus lifespan. Somehow the entire Atavus species, aside from the ones in stasis on Earth, underwent his experiment. All the Atavus were split into two new species: Taelons and Jaridians. The Taelons took almost all of the original Atavus' Core Energy, while the Jaridians had a miniscule amount. Because of this the Taelon lifespan was huge, while the Jaridians' was only around 20 years. The Jaridians didn't like this so they went to war with the Taelons over the Core Energy. Over thousands of years the Taelons started losing the war and running out of Core Energy, so they went to the planet who's inhabitants had the most potential to help them: Earth. That's pretty much when the series starts.

Thank you. That completely clears up the last two seasons I mostly missed.
              I don't suppose you'd like to flesh out the Scifipedia article http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.ph...Final_Conflict

It needs more detail I think.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Over thousands of years the Taelons started losing the war and running out of Core Energy, so they went to the planet who's inhabitants had the most potential to help them: Earth.
                What made the Taelons think humans could help them?
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think it had something to do with our ability to reproduce. Da'an was the last taelon to have a child. They thought the key to getting their ability to have children back, without returning to Atavus, could be found in humans.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Bast
                    I thought the first few seasons sucked , Boon was a ******.

But the show had alot of amazing stories and fit Gene rodenberry quality.

I liked some of the last season , It was kind of nice to be abled to dump the Tealons and have somthing different.

The biggest loss to the Tealons was losing the ability to reproduce ,The Geridians had short lives but they could reproduce naturally , Actually I think their lifespans are the same as humans , The Tealons have incredible lifespans going on for hundreds of years.

Wow, that's kind of bizarre. I (along with everyone else I've ever talked to EFC about, both online and in RL) feel the exact opposite. The first season was far and away the best, and from there it went downhill to the point that the final season was unwatchable.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Agreed. The first two seasons were the best. I actually preferred Liam Kincaid to Boone, but other than that it definitely went down with time. It's just amazing how poorly handled it all was. I've never seen anything like it. It's really quite amazing it lasted as long as it did. By the time the show ended the only original character that remained was Sandoval.

Comment

I saw the first couple of seasons and then a bit (a very little bit) of the last couple. I'm afraid I was totally lost. I'm assuming the explanation of the two different races wasn't brought out until the last couple of seasons?

Uh, whatever DID happen to Sandoval (for some reason, I really liked him)?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                          Uh, whatever DID happen to Sandoval (for some reason, I really liked him)?
                          Spoiler tags incase someone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler:
                          Sandoval was killed in the finale, pipe through the chest if I recall correctly

EFC was a good concept, the last season was not to my liking as much as the previous seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                            Spoiler tags incase someone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler:
                            Sandoval was killed in the finale, pipe through the chest if I recall correctly

EFC was a good concept, the last season was not to my liking as much as the previous seasons.
                            Good, i never really like Sandoval accually.

The first few seasons were good, as i was listening to the orignial opening theme with the comentator i started ta think back on how the show looked. I think EFC fits more to Gene Rodenberry's dream than Andromeda. It's kinda like the Classic Trek except it's set in the present day.

From what I saw of the last season(didn't see much cause it was in late night) it was as interesting as before. I still say they shoulda canceled it at the end of season 4.

P.S. Is no one able to answer my question above? The opening comentary for season 5 said the Talons true agenda was to dominate Earth, is that true?

Comment

Regarding your questions: In the beginning they wanted to guide Earth, but their last resort was always to dominate. It's simply much easier to send allies to die for you than it is to force your slaves too.

Da'an masterminded the "we come in peace"-plan but when this didn't work Zo'or took a more direct approach, while still letting the Earth population believe they came in peace.

The Taelons had two main objectives:
                              1. Find out how to survive. Either by merging with another race, or find out how to make more core energy. The second one was never mentioned untill late Season Four.
                              2. Defeat the Jaridians.

One thing that bothered me was that all of the Taelon ships were organic. Being a race eight million years old(as Taelons) they must've a vast knowledge of technology. Why didn't they have a massive shipyard around all systems they controlled(Had 100's(1000's? Can't remember) planets with sentient population dominated). The amount of raw material in these 100 systems should've been enough to atleast build up a fleet capable of bying the Taelons a few more centuries.

Comment

Working...
                              X