Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...did they fly through the back of the gate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...did they fly through the back of the gate?

I've been out of touch with GateWorld for a long while, but this definitely bugged me enough to come back... and I didn't see this topic posted anywhere else (but please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

Ghost in the Machine
    **MINOR SPOILERS, IF AT ALL**
    ...from right at the beginning of the episode.

1) They're flying toward the gate.
    2) They lose power, and slam into the gate as they fly by.
    3) We watch the gate re-position itself exactly as it was before.
    4) They gain power again, and immediately turn around.
    5) They fly in a straight line back to the gate, and go through.

Was I missing something?
    Did they not just enter the gate from "behind"?

Was this an error, or does it finally give us an answer to the "can you/what happens if you enter the gate from behind" question?
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Its possible, since the gate does have maneuvering thrusters, that it simply rotated itself around to match the correct end to the jumper. Just a thought.

Comment

The entier scene was flawed!

We never ever see through the EH to the other side, but we did with that gate

Two words

FLAWED SCENE

Go Green

Comment

When the gate re-oriented itself the front was facing where the jumper went, if they flew back the way they drifted they would have entered the front.
        "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post

Two words

FLAWED SCENE
          actually we did see through the event horizon in atleast one sg1 episode,they were returning through the gate although i cant remember which episode it was,but only from the back through to the front which is where we were looking from this time,i suppose it is to support the whole one way travel thing

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
          I've been out of touch with GateWorld for a long while, but this definitely bugged me enough to come back... and I didn't see this topic posted anywhere else (but please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

Ghost in the Machine
          **MINOR SPOILERS, IF AT ALL**
          ...from right at the beginning of the episode.

1) They're flying toward the gate.
          2) They lose power, and slam into the gate as they fly by.
          3) We watch the gate re-position itself exactly as it was before.
          4) They gain power again, and immediately turn around.
          5) They fly in a straight line back to the gate, and go through.

Was I missing something?
          Did they not just enter the gate from "behind"?

Was this an error, or does it finally give us an answer to the "can you/what happens if you enter the gate from behind" question?
          and if you look closely at the gate when it repositions we see the back again as there are no lit up chevrons so the gate must be able to reposition itself toward the dialling jumper in certain cases

Comment

maybe it repositioned itself, what bugged me was that the gate was transparent
            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
              maybe it repositioned itself, what bugged me was that the gate was transparent
              watch the scene again the gate repositions itself with the right side (the opague side) facing the planet same as it was when they bumped in to it.

plus the back side of the event horizon has allways been transparent (at least to my knowledge). In one SG-1 episode for example, can't remember which one we see Jack standing right before the active gate and we see him through the back of the active wormhole's eventhorizon.

Comment

I'd say that either space gates use their thrusters to reorient themselves toward the ship that's dialing or they allow passage through either direction (since there's no DHD to let people know the right way to go through).

Comment

um one minor/major point

ORBITAL MECHANICS

First off there is no straight line while in orbit of a planet. especially when your trying to change your orbit to a higher one that the gate is currently in.

Second mckay, and both stated they were falling back towards the planet after they lost control. Since there are no direct u-turns in space that actually change your direction, and the fact that they lost orbital height they would have to make another pass. which means it doesn't matter which way they came from they would have to line up again.

you need to flip yourself out of a 2 dimensional screen to think about just what happened. Two objects hit one of which is in motion the other in a stable orbit. The object in motion bounced back towards the planet, while the stationary object began to rotate, and move. since it had positioning thrusters it stabilized, while the second object quite literally fell in an arc.

i suggest you take a long look at the orbits of satellites some day. and ask yourself why they bounce around so much.

Comment

Got some screenshots for you.

Taken at 1min32sec:
                    Spoiler:

In the above the Gate has just been hit.
                    The Jumper has gone spinning off into the distance.
                    You can see the symbols on the Gate quite clearly.

Taken at 1min33sec:
                    Spoiler:

The thrusters are firing to stabilise the Gate.
                    You can still see the symbols.
                    Jumper is still spinning away.

Taken at 1min36sec:
                    Spoiler:

The Gate is now stable.
                    The side of the Gate that is facing us seems quite plain and symbol free so the symbols must be facing the other way (toward the Jumper).
                    The Gate has cleverly stabilised itself so that the side for entrance and exit is toward the Jumper.

Taken at 4min51sec:
                    Spoiler:

Puddle Jumper about to fly in through the front of the Gate.
                    What's the deal with the retardedly huge sigs?!
                    Spelling correction by Gen Blue

Comment

4 minuites and fifty nine seconds: We all realise the CGI dudes forgot how to count.

Comment

Originally posted by Voxyn View Post
                        Got some screenshots for you...
                        Awesome. Thanks!

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                        um one minor/major point

ORBITAL MECHANICS...
                        Sorry, I don't understand how that helps? If the gate HAD repositioned itself into the original orientation, and not flipped around to face the jumper (which is a pretty awesome feature)... they would have passed by it, and dropped lower into the atmosphere. But they would still be primarily facing the back side of the gate, no? They would have had to gain altitude and circle around to enter the correct side, instead of just gaining altitude and plunging straight through, as they did. (No?)
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
                          Awesome. Thanks!

Sorry, I don't understand how that helps? If the gate HAD repositioned itself into the original orientation, and not flipped around to face the jumper (which is a pretty awesome feature)... they would have passed by it, and dropped lower into the atmosphere. But they would still be primarily facing the back side of the gate, no? They would have had to gain altitude and circle around to enter the correct side, instead of just gaining altitude and plunging straight through, as they did. (No?)
                          nah. i missed it so i had to download it. so i watched it back.

went thru the right way, it is all correct
                          when the PJ hit the gate it flipped a over a few times and came out of a stable orbit. it then corrected itself, luckily enough when it corrected itself, the entrance side of the gate was facing the the opposite direction to what it was doing earlier, so the puddle jumper could just fly straight back thru without having to go back around.

gate stabaliser thoughts and conclusion

1) the gates stabalising systems don't care which way the gate is facing and will just bring back into orbit
                          2)much cooler and advance but far fetched, it detected what went on and repositioned itself the opposite way to help

A) the gate will always position it self somewhat perpendicular to the planet. PJ wont just gate thru and be headin straight to the planet because thast the way the gate was facing it.

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post

Two words

FLAWED SCENE
                          can see thru the back of the gate
                          I too am unsure that, that was a flawed scene. we saw thru the EH because we were looking at it from the back. and i think i've seen that in SG1 before, when they were running back thru the gate and u get the view from the otherside of teh gate. i think it was jack we saw jump thru in there desert coloured gear.

Comment

Yes, you can see through the gate when you're looking at it from the back. Watch Prisoners or the pilot, for example.

Here, have a screencap of that:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...bum=35&pos=356

Oh, and thanks for the screencaps Voxyn! I guess that solves the problem. Green for you!

Comment

You're welcome!
                              What's the deal with the retardedly huge sigs?!
                              Spelling correction by Gen Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X