MGM Tech Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM Tech Journal

Ok, I don't know if you guys know about this, but MGM has been posting some schematics of various Atlantis technologies on their website in the last few weeks. You can see all of them here:

http://stargate.mgm.com/stills.php?s...&season=5#anc5

So far, they've covered:

Drones
    The Puddle Jumper Bay
    ZPMs and that table they're inserted into (Hub)
    The Command Center
    The Gateroom
    The Genii Underground Facility
    Daedalus class ships
    Puddle Jumpers
    Wraith Hive Ships
    Wraith Physiology
    Jaffa Staff Weapons
    Ancient Control Chair
    Satedan Warrior Armor
    Aurora Class Battleship
    Aurora Class Battleship Bridge
    Wraith Stunner Rifle
    Ancient Long-Range Communication Device

I don't know how canon this is, but I think it's worth a look, if nothing else but for the artwork. The drone is specially intriguing for me, as it's so simple, and yet makes perfect sense. If you think about it, it's pretty much a near-unstoppable bullet, except it relies on a ridiculously strong shield instead of its raw structural integrity. It would make sense that the Ancients, who excelled at shielding, would basically create a weapon like this. With the power source, the user can either detonate it when it hits a target, or let it go until the power source runs out, the shield collapses, and the drone is destroyed on the next impact. It would also need a sensor should it be let loose to seek out targets on its own, and of course it'll need something that'll connect it back to the chair if someone's controlling it from there. That's all you need, and the result is one of the most powerful things in the Stargate universe. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by PG15; 30 January 2009, 07:06 PM.

Holly.....is this canon? beucase it would apear that ZPMs are more like PSMs, Point Singularity Modules, that you can feed matter to an get enrgy as radiation from.

Comment

OMG. its awesome!

Comment

Very very nice, someone really should ask JM on his blog if this is considered canon or not. The material looks interesting and the drone design and schematics looks awesome. I hope they keep this up and that we get to see other race technologies on it.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

That is really cool.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

A few parts of the drone were enlightening, but it's not what I had hoped for after reading some of your posts. The tentacles are there yet they don't seem to have a function(yes, it says something about flight direction) and what propels the drone?

Also, the ZPM power conduit to the gate is a joke. SGC didn't need a special power conduit to use the ZPM on their gate, they just hooked it into the existing network.

Seems to me that someone is trying to add detail to the Stargate toys without thinking it through far enough.
            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Welccome to the SG 'verse Aer'Ki.

Comment

It shouldn't be a surprise that Ancient tech is different from the stuff we cobbled together...

Comment

They put some details but not too much, which is fortunate. For the drones, for example, one shouldn't forget what they've been capable of doing. Either acting like missiles or blunt nails, they've also been seen "dissolving" matter with minimal heat (usually called NDF effect, similar to the zat gun third shot). This could be a function of the shield.

The ZPM design is most surprising, I'd have expected at least a minimum of obvious hardware in that. Not a problem though.

A funny thing about those naqahdah boosters in the gate room, added by the Tau'ri.

They won't be able to go into details for everything, since tech has been incoherent from time to time and following the plot, but a cutaway, as long as it's well thought and makes sense, is always a pleasure.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                    A few parts of the drone were enlightening, but it's not what I had hoped for after reading some of your posts. The tentacles are there yet they don't seem to have a function(yes, it says something about flight direction) and what propels the drone?

Also, the ZPM power conduit to the gate is a joke. SGC didn't need a special power conduit to use the ZPM on their gate, they just hooked it into the existing network.

Seems to me that someone is trying to add detail to the Stargate toys without thinking it through far enough.
                    I suppose the tentacles would be the drive parts.

You are right about the power conduit. It's in fact incredible how much power the managed to get through those small cables really, at the SGC.
                    One can think that the much larger power conduit underneath the floor can be used to pump giganormous amounts of energy into a stargate...
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

There is one thing i don't see in the Gate room: the lockout device from The Return I. Maybe the Gate room from the picture is the one rebuilt by the Asurans.
                      It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
                      -Dexter-

Comment

Maybe those power conduits beneathe the floor are so think becuase they need to deal with the nine chevron adress?

Comment

Most impressive find, PG15

Wow. These are awesome.
                          sigpic
                          Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                            Maybe those power conduits beneathe the floor are so think becuase they need to deal with the nine chevron adress?
                            I don't think so. If you really needed that much power then only a few special gates would have 9 chevrons.

All gates have nine so all dialing options should be available through your standard DHD(which earth doesn't have). The ancient powersource for the DHD has to be similar to a ZPM in order to last as long as the one in antarctica did.

In order to access that much power you probably need a special code or program to unlock that capability(like the program O'neill made while having the ancient knowledge in his mind).

But gates having functions that they can't power doesn't make any sense. DHD should provide all you need.
                            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Most of all, the idea that power conduits need to be physically tied to stargates is bizarre to some extent.

We've seen stargates tap energy from distant black holes, or be powered by DHDs or hand devices with no physical link whatsoever, clearly establishing the existence of subspace control from the stargates.

As a sidenote, the power conduits in the city have to use subspace as well, even if said subspace only exists inside the conduits, for the simple reason that in Adrift, the city was leaking massive amounts of energy and yet, we didn't see any effect whatsoever.
                              Ergo, lost in subspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X