Time Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel

in 1969 (sg1) the team went through the gate and slingsotted round the sun to earth, they come out in the gateroom, which ofcourse dissapears once they are through and turns into a missle silo.... why?

we know the gate was on earth, so what happened? theres no reason for it

It was an early SG1 episode so they didn't have to conform to anything and they probably added the gate room shift for dramatic effect.

Why they got slingshot back to Earth is unknown. From future episodes using the same method one could speculate it was random coincidence since you don't always go back to the gate you started, or are even necessarily sent to a different gate then the one intended.

Comment

I think the OP wants to know why they ended up in the gateroom which then turned to be a missile silo, when clearly the Stargate was never in Cheyenne Mountain in 1969. Answer... wouldn;t have a clue, TPTB that we have for this show havn't showed themselves to be the most consistent fellows.
      Meh.

Comment

simple: interference with the wormhole. the shift happens in Continuum too: basically, time alteration is such a massive process, it takes time, its not instantly. though for time travellers, it is

Comment

yeah i thought at that point in 1969, they would of connected to the gate in the antartic or the same gate which was in storage at the time.

their gate wasn't buried and didn't have one of those permenant iris's on it effectively making it as good as buried.

for sake of consistency and trying to nullify a potential plot hole.
          i'd say the gate has certain issues when things such as solar flares cause it to gate back to itself. when the returning wormhole hits the gate again it cud cause some sort of field that allows the gate to exist in 2 different times at the same place until the gate shuts down ending the energy flow field and then falling back to the correct time.

its all jus speculation tho to keep me believing the lie.

Comment

Originally posted by x303 View Post
            yeah i thought at that point in 1969, they would of connected to the gate in the antartic or the same gate which was in storage at the time.

their gate wasn't buried and didn't have one of those permenant iris's on it effectively making it as good as buried.

for sake of consistency and trying to nullify a potential plot hole.
            i'd say the gate has certain issues when things such as solar flares cause it to gate back to itself. when the returning wormhole hits the gate again it cud cause some sort of field that allows the gate to exist in 2 different times at the same place until the gate shuts down ending the energy flow field and then falling back to the correct time.

its all jus speculation tho to keep me believing the lie.
            lol i'm gonna cause trouble and say... what about 2010?
            Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
              lol i'm gonna cause trouble and say... what about 2010?
              Maybe the solar flare also determines where in space the wormhole exits

Comment

Just some early idea. In episode thereafter it always goes to the gate forward in time and backwards (SG-1: 2010, ATL: The last man). It was just a plot device, it wouldn't make an episode if SG-1 would appear in some deserted storage.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
                  Just some early idea. In episode thereafter it always goes to the gate forward in time and backwards (SG-1: 2010, ATL: The last man). It was just a plot device, it wouldn't make an episode if SG-1 would appear in some deserted storage.
                  Sorry I dont quite understand what you are trying to say....

But in The Last Man, the Stagate was used to go both forward and back in time and not once did we see the Gate existing in two places in time thing like in 1969
                  Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    simple: interference with the wormhole. the shift happens in Continuum too: basically, time alteration is such a massive process, it takes time, its not instantly. though for time travellers, it is
                    in continum the....

Spoiler:
                    time is changed while they are in the wormhole, im gueesing they are protected because its subspace, yet even they come out at a gate in the boat, where it is in that time

in the last man, (again ignoring the fact he should have popped back up in the planet he came from) he came out in the gateroom, which wouldnt have changed

Comment

in the last man shepherd got blasted into the future because the solar flare messed with the wormhole that connected to atlantis.

in sg1 when they got sent back to 1969 and when they sent a message back from the future, those wormholes didn't establish a connection to the other gate, instead they U turn in on itself.

in last man when shephard 1st gets sent forward in time the wormhole is not U turned back to the gate he departed from. he was gating in from another planet and got shot into the future (sorry if im wrong been a while since i watched it but thats how i remember it)

(big spoiler) in continuum
                      Spoiler:
                      when carters in ba'al temporal machine. they use ba'als gate to connect to earths gate via passing a solar flare. the bigger question is in 1929 was that gate not buried? best start a new thread about this in the continuum forum. other wise there will jus b alot of spoilers

the point is i guess that u dont have gate back in on urself to pass thru time. alotho i think thats the real worlds theory on wormhole/time travel.

Comment

So when :
                        - the wormhole is 1 way, you can travel to the future. (Last Man)
                        - the wormhole makes a U-turn, you can go back (1969 and 2010) or forth in time (1969 (2))

My question would be : how do you know where you will end? past or future? 10 or 10000000000years?
                        La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                        L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                          So when :
                          - the wormhole is 1 way, you can travel to the future. (Last Man)
                          - the wormhole makes a U-turn, you can go back (1969 and 2010) or forth in time (1969 (2))

My question would be : how do you know where you will end? past or future? 10 or 10000000000years?
                          theres calculations based on
                          • which side the wormhole passes
                          • how far the wormhole travels
                          • the exact time the wormhole and the solar flare affect each other
                          • the type of sun
                          • the amount of gravity

im guessin all those and more can help calculate when they would arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by therealdb View Post
                            in 1969 (sg1) the team went through the gate and slingsotted round the sun to earth, they come out in the gateroom, which ofcourse dissapears once they are through and turns into a missle silo.... why?

we know the gate was on earth, so what happened? theres no reason for it
                            maybe its a plothole, because they couldnt have appeared in the gate room and then have time change on them, they should have gone through the gate in that warehouse at the end of th episode.....so plothole
                            *Turn in your P-90 for a MP7; the standard issue weapon for any SG Team*

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X