This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewatching Starship Troopers as an adult

I loved this movie when I was a teenager. I remember catching the midnight premier and thinking it was just about the most awesome thing ever. It was on tbs last night and my goodness it's awfull. Casper Van Dien and a lot of others in the movie just cannot act at all. And it was so cheesy, and not even on purpose.
    Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

The stories were meant to be cheesy. Although I did like the Roughneck mini series more than the movies.
    Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by eviladam View Post
      And it was so cheesy, and not even on purpose.
      Maybe you need to watch it again when you're even more adult.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Starship Troopers is as much camp as Batman (you know, the one with Adam West and Burt Ward). And that's why it's awesome. That and Dina Meyer's boobies=thumbs up.
        I am both Pro-Keller and Pro-Beckett. No amount of Hail Mary's will save my soul from hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Insipid View Post
          Starship Troopers is as much camp as Batman (you know, the one with Adam West and Burt Ward). And that's why it's awesome. That and Dina Meyer's boobies=thumbs up.
          I couldn't agree more. On both points.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

starship troopers was always crap

Comment

ST was and is fantastic.

Comment

Nah, I can only watch it if I'm in the mood for camp.
                sigpic

Comment

I actually really like this movie. The campiness was in the movie to keep it from getting too dark. Looking back I love Earth propaganda and the old time Scifiness it brought to the table what with the uniforms and the whole mind reading things.

Fighting Giant Alien bugs is the kind of ridiculousness that we do not see in movies or TV anymore or in my case never really saw as a kid besides being spoofed by Rugrats and Futurama with few exceptions like Planet terror in gringhouse.

Comment

Forget the camp factor (which is spot-on and brilliantly done!), how awesome is the fact that we are at war with a bunch of body-snapping insects. I found the orignal movie to be highly entertaining and quite cool.

Now the sequel was absolutely horrible, nothing redeeming what-so-ever!. But I did just rent and watch the recently released Starship Troopers III: Marauder which turned out to be surprisingly very good (they obviously had a much bigger budget for this one). Some of you fellow ST fans that got turned off from truly horrible part II might want to give the franchise another shot and rent Marauder: Part III.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

To me theres good camp and there's bad camp, and it falls firmlly in the second category. And like I said some of the stars just can't act at all.
                      Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post

Fighting Giant Alien bugs is the kind of ridiculousness that we do not see in movies or TV anymore or in my case never really saw as a kid besides being spoofed by Rugrats and Futurama with few exceptions like Planet terror in gringhouse.
                        Really? Maybe you should watch Stargate Atlantis a bit more...
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                          Really? Maybe you should watch Stargate Atlantis a bit more...
                          The iradis bug is not giant though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                            The iradis bug is not giant though.

I wouldn't say they were exceptionally massive, no, but oversized for an insect, most definitely.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
                              Maybe you need to watch it again when you're even more adult.
                              ^^ I laughed because it's true
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X