Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torren John Emmagen is the "Boy Who Lived"!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torren John Emmagen is the "Boy Who Lived"!

**Spoilers** for all previous season arcs in part 2, specifically Season 1: Poisoning the Well, Underground, Season 2: Runner, Condemned, The Hive, Michael, Season 3: Misbegotten, Irresistible, Irresponsible, Sunday, Vengeance, First Strike Season 4: Adrift, Lifeline, Missing, Outcast, The Kindred Part 1 & 2, The Last Man, Season 5: Search and Rescue, The Seed, Broken Ties, The Queen

All Season 5 spoilers are hidden

**Huge Spoilers** for the five people in the world who haven't yet read Harry Potter. Although in fairness, if you haven't, this thread will be both meaningless and tedious.

A legend begins...

Okay, bear with me on this one. I'm ill, in bed, probably slightly delirious and excruciatingly bored. But writers - we are on to you. You think we didn't get your subtle references, your hints, but you couldn't keep it a secret forever. Stargate Atlantis is Harry Potter in space! And I'm about to expose your cheeky little ruse. Let me show you in my magical mystery list how the pieces are alllll falling into place. NB: I have a horrible feeling this has probably been done before, but it gave me a couple of hours distraction, so I'm happy.

Oh and P.S. I'm a newbie, been hovering around reading posts for a bit, thought I would make an entrance in style. Think it worked?

Number 1: *Spoiler free*Atlantis is Hogwarts!
    Oh yes oh yay. We have an enormous, mysterious place to explore where little is understood, nothing is as it seems, but once you're there you would never want to leave. And no matter how strange it is, it's still the safest place in the galaxy. Easy to hide from stupid meddlers thanks to a handy cloaking device and almost impenetrable due to a dinky shield. Also:

Gryffindor - The soldiers. Daily staring possible doom in the face as they pass through the gate into unknown territory. Brave, bright, the best of the best, and they know it. If you can deal with the fact that they think they know how to do everything better than everyone else, you'll see you can't do without them.

Ravenclaw - The scientists. Very smart, very competitive, especially with each other. Demand respect and deference, and get frustrated when underlings presume to question their abilities. Still, Atlantis is what it still is because of them, and they judge others only with the same painfully high standards with which they judge themselves.

Slytherin - The bureacrats and politicians. An ambitious lot. Not inherently or automatically bad, but they have spent so long endeavouring to get themselves ahead of the pack, even the best of them often forget why they wanted to get to the top in the first place. The worst of them are suspicious, selfish and untrustworthy and must be treated with extreme caution. Nevertheless, aside from a tendency to watch their own backs ahead of anyone else's, the decent ones will work tirelessly to achieve the necessary ends and aren't afraid of some serious hard graft, provided they've had some careful prodding in the right direction by minds unclouded by protocols. Still, not the most likeable bunch, and you're unlikely to want to go on a skiing holiday with any of them.

Hufflepuff - The gateroom staff. Don't seem to do much except uselessly let you know when the gate activates despite the fact that everyone can quite clearly see that it has, and sometimes let you know when someone is on the phone; they're really just jumped up receptionists...at least that's how it seems. This lot take on the sort of 'thankless but important' jobs that others wouldn't deign to do, because they're just happy to be in Atlantis in the thick of things. Plus, they're the ones that organise the football/chess tournaments when the scientists and soldiers are threatening to tear chunks out of each other, and throw the parties for birthdays that all the more important people forgot. They make life just that little bit easier for all concerned.

House elves - the general staff. Rarely seen and seldom heard, this lot modestly and good-humouredly go about the business of keeping Atlantis ticking over. They don't play hero and they don't get the glory, but boy, does that coffee hit the spot. Had a life-sucking insect attached to your neck for the last hour? Just say the word and they'll rustle you up the best rump steak this side of the Pegasus. Just spilt the most powerful acid known to man that is slowly eating its way through the floor? They'll get it cleaned up and give the room a new lick of paint into the bargain before you can say 'But I thought it was an alka seltzer!'

Stand by for Number 2...
    Last edited by topaz_bean; 11 August 2008, 05:23 PM. Reason: Clearer spoiler warnings.
    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Number 2: Torren is Harry!
    An innocent, powerless boy who holds the fate of the whole of mankind in his teeny tiny baby hands. And the logic holds...let me show you how...

Easy ones first:

Lily Potter - Teyla. The beauty, the brains, the attitude, and she's Torren's mum, which is handy for the purposes of logic. Would do absolutely anything to protect Torren. More than anyone, she empathised with Michael, but he has so far proved himself incapable of returning the favour. She is almost implausibly perfect, just don't cross her on a bad day. She has quite the right hook.

Voldermort - Michael, clearly. Bitter, resentful, hungry for power, with an army of freakish hybrid things. And he has weird slitty bits on his face, which is a must-have this season for all sub-human super-villains. He has some rather sinister plans for little Torren, already prompting several mad dashes to protect him. Despite being apparently killed on numerous occasions, he just keeps coming back. I'm thinking horcruxes. As Michael continues to elude defeat, will Teyla have to go into hiding? He only became what he is thanks to the humans' fated, flawed, even questionable efforts to save him from himself. Which of course means:

Albus Dumbledore - Carson Beckett. Unsure from the get go about the wisdom of making a wraith human, he nevertheless endeavoured to make the transition as easy for Michael as possible. He was always destined to fail in such an impossible task. Calm, authoritative and eccentric, he inspires instinctive loyalty and affection in those around him. Plus, he's Scottish. Of course, he had to go and inconveniently get himself killed WAY ahead of schedule, but
    Spoiler:
    with the clone back in action,
    this one still holds. It'd be pretty hard to argue that Beckett is gay, but you never know...a genetic difference in the new man maybe?...

Defence against the Dark Arts - The leadership of Atlantis. Weir held on for a good few years, but since Michael was roundly rejected by the folks in charge, the position seems cursed. Weir was dispatched in singularly unpleasant circumstances,
    Spoiler:
    and the last holder of the position, despite being rather good, was sacked within a year.
    Coincidence? I think not.

James Potter - Sheppard, obviously. Okay, so he's not actually Torren's Dad, but bear with me, I'm gonna make it work. It's a tiny detail. Besides, he has the mussed up hair and the cocky attitude, if a bit more on the awkward side of sociability. Of course, the whole Sheppard-Teyla thing is quite obviously a case of unrequited love on the part of Sheppard (okay, so I'm being deliberately provocative, DISCLAIMER: This Is Just My Opinion), but for the purposes of this surreal little list, I'll bypass that little snag. Besides, he's proved time and again that he's willing to sacrifice himself to save her, facing countless green flashes of certain doom to get her out of a sticky situation.
    Spoiler:
    Just look at the efforts he went to to save Teyla and her baby in 'Search and Rescue'.
    He has so far escaped unscathed, but will his luck hold forever? Destined to become a father figure to the little one. You'd never guess it to look at him, but he comes from some serious big money, and in a game of puddle jumper quidditch, he'd come up tops any day.

Sirius Black - Ronon. Acts first, thinks later. Very fond of Teyla but in a strictly platonic way. He's fiery and hard to manage, but eternally loyal to both her and Sheppard. This devotion is bound to stretch to Teyla's son. He knows how to survive against all the odds. Good at living in the woods. Hobbies: being furious, seeking vengeance, getting into fights, would probably do a pretty good job at flying weird squawky bird-like creatures, and wouldn't say no to the ability to turn into a dog. Could also plausibly be seen driving something resembling a flying motorbike.
    Spoiler:
    Forcibly converted into a wraith worshipper for a scant few hours before being saved, but could it have damaged the faith others have in him forever?
    He's been permanently traumatised and emotionally damaged through his experiences as a runner, albeit slighty ahead of schedule. Could always be captured by the wraith again in the future...maybe...

Remus Lupin - Mckay. So this one is, at first glance, a little tenuous, I grant you. Then again, both Lupin and Mckay have been my favourite characters in the respective series. So Mckay has none of the modesty, wisdom or dignity of Lupin, we can work around it. And he definitely has the shabby dress sense going for him. Anyway, you could say Mckay is something of a metaphorical snarling beast. Only his closest friends can see past his uncontrollable and difficult nature to the brave and loyal friend underneath, although he's usually too busy being spiky and disdainful to realise it. Destined to be a mentor to Torren. 'The Last Man' demonstrated his tragic, if unwitting, ability to outlive all his friends. Could he do it again?

Peter Pettigrew - Ford. Okay, so he never set out to deliberately betray any of the team, and he's not much of a cringer. However, he always had a chip on his shoulder and felt he had something to prove. Sheppard took him under his wing and tried to look after him, which went completely balls up. He also likely feels threatened by and a little jealous of Ronon. The last we saw of him, he was stuck on a wraith hive about to blow up. If I make an enormous assumption and say he escaped, was later captured and turned into a wraith worshipper, we could be seeing a very nasty side to him in the future. We already know he's damn good at faking his own death, and in a future without either Sheppard or Teyla to back him up, it wouldn't be hard to paint Ronon in a very, very bad light.

The Marauder's Map - Those handheld devices that tell you where everything is in Atlantis, including people (I'm not up on my SGA tech lingo). Can only be activated with the Ancient gene! Okay so only Mckay and Sheppard on the team actually have the gene, along with a crapload of other people in Atlantis, so it's not exactly secret, but I like the comparison. It's neat.

Tonks - Keller. So I was going to make her Arthur Weasley what with the super brain, nerdiness and complete lack of confidence, but as far as I know, Lupin and Mr. Weasley never got it on, so Tonks will have to do. Besides, Tonks is pretty darn clumsy, which feels appropriate. And, well, you never know in sci-fi, Keller may suddenly become a shapeshifter and be able to turn her nose into a pig's snout.
    Spoiler:
    She's already shown herself a dab hand at getting tentacles to grow out of her stomach.

Professor McGonagall - Colonel Caldwell. Stern and not a little quick to judge. Is frequently exasperated by Sheppard's inability to deal with authority, but ultimately has faith in his strengths and ability to lead. Can turn the hardiest soldier into a whimpering teacup just by looking at them.

Hagrid - I can't stand Hagrid, yet everyone else seems inexplicably enamoured with him, so it can only be Lucius Lavin. Okay, it's a stretch. On the other hand, he's gruff, superhumanly strong, but ultimately cuddly, an outcast from a race of fearsome warriors and lives for a ridiculously long time. Where's Teal'c when you need him? Or maybe Zelenka? No, that's a bit of a reach. Yeah, not sure about that one. In any case, that leaves an opening for:

Gilderoy Lockhart - Lucius Lavin! Makes up and steals stories about his elaborate exploits, and is absolutely insufferable. Terrifying to think that he may one day run Atlantis for an entire year, but they let Woolsey have a stab at it, so who knows. Yup, this works much better.

Snape - Kanaan. Okay, bear with me on this one. He was with the bad guys (involuntarily)
    Spoiler:
    but came back to the fold thanks to his love for Teyla and with a bit of help from Beckett's retrovirus
    . Granted Teyla actually likes him and the baby is his, which works less well, but if Teyla was ever to leave him for Sheppard (darn, I don't like it, but it works for this scenario) he could get very resentful, very fast, and come to be hostile to the boy who only reminded him of what he's lost. Nevertheless, he'll always be one of the good guys. Kanaan is Athosian and they don't betray their own. All he has to do is grow his hair really long and fail to wash it for a few weeks, and he's there. Kanaan in charge of Atlantis? Stranger things have happened...
    - Okay, I also considered Todd for this one, since we're never quite sure where he stands, but I just couldn't make it work. Todd is one of the bad guys, and unless The Queen
    Spoiler:
    takes a really surprising turn, I don't see him falling for Teyla any time soon.
    Soooo...

Lucius Malfoy - Todd. Has proved helpful in the past but never on purpose and usually only if it suits his own ends. Would betray Atlantis in a flash if it got him what he wanted and is a master of the double-cross. Hates Michael for now, but just one error of judgement on Todd's part could lead to them teaming up, and Atlantis might not know until it's too late. Other convenient points: They both have really long white hair, which must be a right palava to look after, and are both unjustifiably self-assured of their own brilliance and importance. NB: I don't know about anyone else, but ever since they called him Todd I keep thinking of 'The Todd' from Scrubs. I'm waiting for him to declare 'Life-suck five!' at some point, just before feeding on someone.

The dementors - the wraith. Easy peasy. They suck the life out of you, although you'd have to be pretty incompetent to start using them as prison guards. Then again, something like it was tried in Condemned. So the hive ships are dank and depressing and Azkaban-like and, if the wraith ever thought it would suit their needs, they wouldn't hesitate to team up with Michael.

The centaurs - The Ancients. They pop up every now and again to spout incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo. No one can really understand what they're getting at but we can safely assume they're probably a lot smarter than anyone else. They mostly stay away from humans and get pretty snarked if any of their own do try to intervene in human affairs, but that's not to say it never happens. Pack a mean punch when they finally rouse themselves to actually do something.

Death-eaters - The hybrids. This one just about works if you say they're all under a sort of imperius curse. Don't really have anything interesting to say about this one...just filling in the gaps.

The muggles - The Genii, the Hoffans and all the other hapless human races who blunderingly try to do something about the wraith without having the technology or the faintest idea what they're doing. In some cases, their hearts are in the right place, in others, decidedly not. In both cases, the good folk of Atlantis find themselves cleaning up after their mess, trying not to get taken down with them, and usually taking all the blame for their mistakes, too, all the while trying not to draw too much unwanted attention to themselves. Having said that, an awful lot of unwitting unfortunates have been caught in the crossfire, particularly with Michael.

Well, that's all I have so far. I just finished my umpteenth cup of tea and I'm going back to sleep. If anyone has any suggestions (and had the energy and the interest to actually read this far), I'm open. What about Lorne? And the replicators? Any better ideas for Hagrid? There's a heck of a lot of stuff I missed, which I might come back to. Who knows? Feedback welcome...
    Last edited by topaz_bean; 28 August 2008, 09:26 AM. Reason: clearer spoiler warnings
    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

Comment

Of course, the fatal flaw of this whole theory is that it would mean quite a large number of the leads are destined to die in not very pleasant ways, which is pretty unlikely. My glorious plan, foiled at the last by solid fact and reason! Nooooooooooooo!

Comment

... how interesting.

You have a lot of time on your hands, my friend.

Comment

Well done! It all fits!

I suppose that makes the IOA the Ministry of Magic, and Woolsey would then be...Cornelius Fudge? I think that fits pretty well.

Comment

It just proves you can draw parallel between almost any two stories. More proof people should stop complaining that every story using in SGA is a rehash, because every story is a rehash and can draw parallels to many other stories.

Comment

Yay! I was just thinking of Cornelius Fudge for Woolsey...he might have taught at Hogwarts once upon a time. Defo.

And yes, the last two days I have had rather too much time on my hands. This is the nature of flu. And I couldn't sleep last night, and I suddenly thought that the head of Atlantis was a bit like the Defence Against the Dark Arts Job. I think it's less I have too much time on my hands and more I have been watching too much Atlantis lately, given that in my delirium that was the first thing that came to mind. Oh dear. Oh well...don't pretend you didn't enjoy it!

Comment

Oh no! TPTB stole all their stories from JK Rowling! The *******s!

I love these theories, even though they all break down when it comes down to true execution.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post

I love these theories, even though they all break down when it comes down to true execution.
                  Of course, the writers are not thieves. They just know how to spin a good yarn, just like JKR

Comment

wow oh wow wow wowzers

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by topaz_bean View Post
                      Of course, the fatal flaw of this whole theory is that it would mean quite a large number of the leads are destined to die in not very pleasant ways, which is pretty unlikely. My glorious plan, foiled at the last by solid fact and reason! Nooooooooooooo!
                      Got several questions?

Ron Weasley?
                      Draco Malfoy?
                      Hermione Granger?

I'm thinking Hermione is a parallel of Mckay.
                      I'm not sure who Ron is a parallel of, granted I just wanted the character go die.
                      But Draco...? Maybe Kavanaugh? Nah, I actually like him. So who?
                      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Wow... take this green, as that actually made a rediculous amount of sense.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I know, it's creepy, isn't it?

Since "Harry" is just a baby right now, so would the other kid characters in Potter be.

And according to that list, Draco will be at least half-Wraith.

Comment

Wow, that was awesome.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                              Got several questions?

Ron Weasley?
                              Draco Malfoy?
                              Hermione Granger?

I'm thinking Hermione is a parallel of Mckay.
                              I'm not sure who Ron is a parallel of, granted I just wanted the character go die.
                              But Draco...? Maybe Kavanaugh? Nah, I actually like him. So who?

Ah see, I'm putting this all out as the start of the saga, ie Ron, Hermione and Draco have all only just been born. If any random babies show up in future episodes, I promise they'll get a look in.

And I still haven't found a space for Zelenka, really, unless HE'S Arthur Weasley! Yes yes yes! Mucking about with random tech and being sort of absent-mindedly charming. Okay, let me write this up:

Arthur Weasley - Zelenka. Shabby and absent-minded, he doesn't go seeking adventure, preferring to lock himself away to demystify strange pieces of technology that he comes across. His remarkable abilities far outweigh his ambition, and he rarely takes centre-stage. He is, though, decidedly lovely and adorable, resolutely one of the good guys. It will only take a bossy and domineering woman to make an honest man of him.

Right, so, still no clue on the replicators. Unless they're those spiders that live in the Forbidden Forest, in which case whoever is Hagrid sort of raised/created them, which would make him both an ancient AND a friend of our lot....AND someone who knew Michael. See...this is where it all starts to fall apart. Any other suggestions?

that actually made a rediculous amount of sense.
                              Well, believe me, this is definitely down to me giving this all waayy too much thought than any writers' conspiracy. Although I do quite like the idea of there being a Harry Potter related writers' conspiracy....
                              Last edited by topaz_bean; 11 August 2008, 06:17 PM. Reason: correcting a formatting error

Comment

Working...
                              X