This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate in World Magazine

I was pleasantly surprised to fine a short article on Stargate in the Nov. 6 issue of World Magazine. Here's a link to an on-line version: Stargate article in World Magazine

That article was....odd.

It was strange reading somebody else's attempt to explain Stargate to the uninitiated.

And what is with the sub heading?

"Stargate agrees with the bible that there is nothing worse than a false god".

I've never come across an article using that kind of angle before. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the cover story on the left? I guess it's quite normal for the language of elections to creep into everyday stuff, even after the fact.

But I'm going to have to come to Thor's defence here: he basically set himself up as a false god but he's just adorable!
    Last edited by SaharaGate; 09 November 2004, 04:51 PM.

Comment

It was very incorrect really, because they mentioned that the Gou'ald created the Stargate and that they are techologically advanced race of aliens(didnt mention that they stole everything that they have from other races.)

Comment

And what is with the sub heading?
        "Stargate agrees with the bible that there is nothing worse than a false god".
        SaharaGate, the mention of agreement with the Bible about false gods is because World is a Christian news magazine.

It was very incorrect really, because they mentioned that the Gou'ald created the Stargate
        WraithWarrior, actually what the article said was that the Goa'uld build the pyramids - not the stargates. I believe this is correct according to Stargate. However, I, like you, got the impression that the reviewer did not quite have the correct concept of the Goa'uld.

Still, I found it interesting that this magazine gave Stargate a pretty positive review. Theologically, I'm not sure I could be so kind. However, I adore Stargate for what it is - a delightful and fascinating work of science fiction, and my enjoyment of it is not much lessened by the fact it sometimes conflicts with my beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Songbird
          SaharaGate, the mention of agreement with the Bible about false gods is because World is a Christian news magazine.
          Ahh, that explains it then!

No wonder I was confused...

Still, I found it interesting that this magazine gave Stargate a pretty positive review. Theologically, I'm not sure I could be so kind. However, I adore Stargate for what it is - a delightful and fascinating work of science fiction, and my enjoyment of it is not much lessened by the fact it sometimes conflicts with my beliefs.
          I'm surprised too, even though I don't subscribe to any religion. But then, Stargate doesn't really discredit anything in Christian belief (as far as i can see)...they generally leave it well alone.

Comment

did any one ealls think it sounded lik a 12 year old that had never seen the show wrote it?
            -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
            GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
            M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
            ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
            geekcode

Comment

Originally posted by Gorthaur
              did any one ealls think it sounded lik a 12 year old that had never seen the show wrote it?
              No. It definitly wasn't someone who followed the show regularly, but a well educated person who had seen at least a couple episodes and done a little bit of research.
              Rocky

Comment

Working...
              X