Earth Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Technology

I don't know about anyone else... but the advancing level of technology used by the Tau'ri is starting to bother me a little. Certainly, it's feasible that it would be possible to reverse engineer certain technologies to develop the f302 and f303s, and finally the f304s. They were quite clever to state that the intergalactic hyperdrives, shields, etc were provided by the Asgard, who helped to install them on their ships. Then they gave them the beam weapons technology and installed it. Now though, the Asgard are gone, but the Tau'ri are still producing ships with their technology installed. Now maybe the Asgard gave them a hole lot of this technology to install ourselves, but you would of thought they'd be needed in help incoorporate it... surely they wouldn't provide equipment to produce an endless supply of ships...

Giving us the plans doesn't seem like it would be enough, not for technology millions of years more advanced than our own... its like giving ancient greece the plans to make an nuclear bomb. They'd have the plans but wouldn't understand a word of it.

I liked the idea that the Asgard were providing technical assistence to upgrade Tau'ri ships into advanced combat ships, but i don't like the idea of the Tau'ri reproducing the technology themselves... seems a bit over over the top... if you know what i mean...

I'm at a point where the current number of earth warships is ok... even if the Phoenix is commissioned... the Asgard are only recently gone... but anymore ships... and its gonna start bugging me a little...

TPTB have lost al perspective n how advanced technologies milions of years ahead of us would be. Any species that old would have almost total mastery of the physical universe and would have ascended far before.

Givn the millions of years of development of teh Anceints we shouldn't even be abel to tell what their tech is, never mind operrate it, hoigh order femtotechnology and time space manipulation should be the order if the curent level of human development is anythign to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDixon View Post
      I don't know about anyone else... but the advancing level of technology used by the Tau'ri is starting to bother me a little. Certainly, it's feasible that it would be possible to reverse engineer certain technologies to develop the f302 and f303s, and finally the f304s. They were quite clever to state that the intergalactic hyperdrives, shields, etc were provided by the Asgard, who helped to install them on their ships. Then they gave them the beam weapons technology and installed it. Now though, the Asgard are gone, but the Tau'ri are still producing ships with their technology installed. Now maybe the Asgard gave them a hole lot of this technology to install ourselves, but you would of thought they'd be needed in help incoorporate it... surely they wouldn't provide equipment to produce an endless supply of ships...

Giving us the plans doesn't seem like it would be enough, not for technology millions of years more advanced than our own... its like giving ancient greece the plans to make an nuclear bomb. They'd have the plans but wouldn't understand a word of it.

I liked the idea that the Asgard were providing technical assistence to upgrade Tau'ri ships into advanced combat ships, but i don't like the idea of the Tau'ri reproducing the technology themselves... seems a bit over over the top... if you know what i mean...

I'm at a point where the current number of earth warships is ok... even if the Phoenix is commissioned... the Asgard are only recently gone... but anymore ships... and its gonna start bugging me a little...
      Underestimating humans imho. If we sent the guys at los almos or DARPA back in time to the romans they could have working factories and computers and cruise ships and space shuttles up and running in a reasonable length of time, assuming they had the full resources of the entire goverment behind them.

Its the same for the asgard and modern day earth. We were just smarter than the romans to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
        Underestimating humans imho. If we sent the guys at los almos or DARPA back in time to the romans they could have working factories and computers and cruise ships and space shuttles up and running in a reasonable length of time, assuming they had the full resources of the entire goverment behind them.

Its the same for the asgard and modern day earth. We were just smarter than the romans to start with.
        Our technology isn't millions of years beyond what the Romans had, though. It's based on the same principles if you follow it through.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          Our technology isn't millions of years beyond what the Romans had, though. It's based on the same principles if you follow it through.
          And if you showed them a helicopter or a particle accelerator and the inside of my dvd player they might say its a million years ahead of them. Point.

Comment

And if you showed them a helicopter or a particle accelerator and the inside of my dvd player they might say its a million years ahead of them. Point.
            ...but it isn't. And with a little help, the Romans could figure it out.

With technology that's been evolving for longer than human civilization has existed, it should take more than a schematic to show us how to build this stuff. It'd be like taking a space shuttle and telling the cavemen to build it; they don't even have the BASICS of mathematics or engineering, so they would be hopelessly lost, whereas the Romans could probably figure it out eventually.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well I have a theory on this subject:

It's my believe they used the knowlegde from the Asgard core and let a holographic Asgard explain it to them. The Asgard core was designed to make the less advanced tau'ri able to use their technology.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDixon View Post

I think that we are alot further along than we should be, but remember that the Asgard Core is supposed to be extremely user friendly so it probably explains everything in very basic form, along with the ability to replicate things that we need.
                You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  TPTB have lost al perspective n how advanced technologies milions of years ahead of us would be. Any species that old would have almost total mastery of the physical universe and would have ascended far before.

Givn the millions of years of development of teh Anceints we shouldn't even be abel to tell what their tech is, never mind operrate it, hoigh order femtotechnology and time space manipulation should be the order if the curent level of human development is anythign to go by.
                  `

You have been greened. The biggest plot hole in the show is how exactly can we understand the technology of a race that is 50+ million years ahead of us. A race that can create devices that can seed and destroy life in entire galaxies, create devices that can sap the entire energy of the Universe and that can use artificial black holes to travel through space and time. Even the Asgard, who were a scarily advanced and powerful race, were like fleas next to the Ancients and couldn't understand their technology. And yet, here we have McKay, a scientist from a civilization that is technologically incapable of even sending a manned craft to it's neighbor planet, who can understand Ancient technology?

Comment

Most irrational post ever. So if we sent scientists back in time to the Roman Period they would make computers and space shuttles? Sure they would if they could get the resources and industrial base for it, but the Romans from the period would not.

Comment

...but it isn't. And with a little help, the Romans could figure it out.

whereas the Romans could probably figure it out eventually.
                      If you really think that the Romans from 2,000 years ago could figure out how to build computers, cell phones and space shuttles by just studying them then there is a bridge I would like to sell you...

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
                        If you really think that the Romans from 2,000 years ago could figure out how to build computers, cell phones and space shuttles by just studying them then there is a bridge I would like to sell you...
                        Studying anything for a prolonged period of time can let you duplicate it. It might take a while, but it could be done if they had the plans and explanations.

Comment

Knowing how to build something and having the tools to do it are completely different things. Try building a computer from scratch...no, you can't go to the internet to order parts or your local computer store. No, you can't order software and aps, you have to write them yourself.

Here's an easier one. Go to the forest and build a car. What? Can't do it. You know how it works, so why can't you build it?

Tools...industry...fabrication...all highly undervalued.

And McKay did blow up a star system. Not a 'solar system'. There's only one of those and we're in it. It's like calling all cities New York. Stupid writers...argh.
                          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

I wouldn't say the Asgard are millions of years more advance than us. In truth they are 80 to 150 thousand years more advance than us not millions of years.

Comment

Studying anything for a prolonged period of time can let you duplicate it. It might take a while, but it could be done if they had the plans and explanations.
                              Agreed look at all the technology we gained from the downed U.F.O. at Roswell! Or I mean weather balloon.
                              You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Working...
                              X