Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mass Suicide, Kinda extreme don't you agree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Suicide, Kinda extreme don't you agree?

Why did the Asgard take such a drastic step. Could they not have trusted us with their collective minds while we commit our best scientists to unravelling the clone problem? They trust us with their technology, their legacy, but not their minds. Just A Thought
    "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
    "Yes, I was there."
    "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
    "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
    "No I was chus wondring"
    "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

» I think it was less "Asgard motivation" and more "TPTB wanting to shake things up".

Comment

Originally posted by ASAKATA View Post
      They trust us with their technology, their legacy, but not their minds.
      I don't see a problem with that. Fiddle around with all our stuff all you want, but leave my identity, my essence, alone.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        I don't see a problem with that. Fiddle around with all our stuff all you want, but leave my identity, my essence, alone.
        True dat, they reached an impass. I find it hard though to believe that every Asgard agreed with the decision. Oh well, my faithful little friends are all gone.
        "Yes, I was there."
        "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
        "No I was chus wondring"

Comment

Why did the Asgard take such a drastic step. Could they not have trusted us with their collective minds while we commit our best scientists to unravelling the clone problem? They trust us with their technology, their legacy, but not their minds. Just A Thought
          The mass suicide was to prevent the Ori from taking their tech in the Asgard's weakened state.

As for the minds, do we really know that they aren't in the core...?

Reasons for not including their minds in the core would be: 1.) The Asgard are millenniums-old individuals, maybe they finally figured out that they'd peaked individually and as a society. 2.) They had both their own database & the Ancient's and still couldn't solve their cloning problem, what chance do the relatively primitive Tau'ri have of solving it?
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
            The mass suicide was to prevent the Ori from taking their tech in the Asgard's weakened state.

Reasons for not including their minds in the core would be: 1.) The Asgard are millenniums-old individuals, maybe they finally figured out that they'd peaked individually and as a society. 2.) They had both their own database & the Ancient's and still couldn't solve their cloning problem, what chance do the relatively primitive Tau'ri have of solving it?
            I think we have proven to be quite astute in technological matters.
            "Yes, I was there."
            "No I was chus wondring"

Comment

Here's my thinking: I'm betting that by the end of things, they were probably having to swap bodies every few weeks (at least). They probably also didn't think that the humans could help them. Thor thought well of them, but others, as we've seen from episodes, didn't really.

Also, if you've lived a long, full life (or several of them), you probably stop fearing death (or even dreading it) and come to accept it. Your time is at an end and you've had years or even decades to come to terms with it.

Comment

Here's a thought, instead of cloning each cloned body, why not just stop, save one specific body in a stasis chamber, and keep cloning from that one. Or they could transfer their consciousness into the body of another race. As for mass suicide, why just not destroy all their technology and have them stay alive. And why didn't they give all their ships to the Tau'ri too? Or why not just live on their ships if they were worried about their technology falling into the wrong hands?—~~~~

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post

I have kind of thought the same way. We have already seen Thor's mind put into a computer once, so why not the race? I always thought that that could be a great subplot in movie. Maybe I am just in denial, as I don't want to think that all the little gray butts have died. It probably is denial. After all I have still always held out hope that Jonas would come back for a visit sometime, but that seems about as likely as all the Asgard suddenly springing back to life.

Still, I do miss our Asgardian friends. I wish a story could have been written exploring the four great races' alliance. Especially those dadblarned Furlings!

Lives! and maybe even ? Keep hope alive!

Comment

The Asgard took such drastic steps because the producers were running out of episodes in-which to solve the Asgard's cloning problem .
                    sigpic

Comment

lazy writing. It's much more easier to destroy one race than try to dig a little deeper and create more stories. It has happened to the Asgard, the Ori, the Tollan, while the rest of interesting races was simply forgotten by TPTB.
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Mass suicide is like pulling a bandaid off, u gotta do it all at once. RIPPPPP

Comment

Perhaps the puppets were getting to expensive? Perhaps tptb wanted the series to go out with a bang? perhaps tptb were searching for a way to close an old chapter?

Perhaps, perhaps.....

Na, tptb were just looking for a plot device to get more cool ships on their odyssey to trek Stargate.
                          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I miss those guys, so much, I say we make TPTB bring them back. Maybe they hid a copy of their collective minds in the Asgard Core waiting for a sign that we have discovered the means to save them.
                            Just A Thought
                            "Yes, I was there."
                            "No I was chus wondring"

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                              Perhaps the puppets were getting to expensive? Perhaps tptb wanted the series to go out with a bang? perhaps tptb were searching for a way to close an old chapter?

Perhaps, perhaps.....

Na, tptb were just looking for a plot device to get more cool ships on their odyssey to trek Stargate.
                              that's the right answer according to RCC. He said something like that
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X