X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla - Is her role changing? Spoilers for Daedy Variations and beyond

In "The Daedalus Variations"
    Spoiler:
    Teyla is very useful in helping McKay solve the problem and it is clear that her technological ability has sky rocketed compared to earlier seasons.

We all know Teyla can fight but i was wondering if the writers have decided to make her good with technology aswell so not only can she fight but she can also assist McKay when they are offworld and McKay is trying to fix or solve a problem involving technology.

If this is the case then i think its a good move by the writers as now it adds to what Teyla can do in alot of episodes if not only does she have the aility to fight but she can also be involved in some of the things which previously was something only McKay could do.

What do you all think?
    Last edited by Skydiver; 04 August 2008, 07:05 AM.

I think they're trying all they can to give her more screentime and material to work with.

Comment

Only time will tell if TPTB keep Teyla on this path. Personally, I think it would be great to see her become even more helpful to the team.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yes, I think it is good that the writers are showing this side of Teyla – though I don’t think it is necessarily a new side of her. I think there have been indications in many episodes over the last 4 seasons of Teyla learning and being good at operating both Ancient and human technology.

What I can think of off hand,

“Intruder” – Teyla hands Sheppard a computer notebook and I think says she had been compiling data and reports on Ford.

“Misbegotten”- Teyla is seemingly in charge of the city.

Can’t think of all of the names – I think “Condemned” was one- but there have been several episodes where Teyla has operated some of the controls in the Jumper.

“Epiphany” she figured out the time dilation difference using the camera recorder

“Phantoms” she assisted McKay – working from computer tablet - with disabling the Wraith device

“Quarantine” she was working on the computer with Sheppard

I am pretty sure there are others I just can’t recall the name of the episodes at the moment. I think it shows nice character progression.

Comment

I agree completely, Teyla is an awesome character with many different personality facets. She's a mother, a Leader and a Warrior. Technical savy only adds more versatility as a member of Sheppards team. Go girl
          "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
          "Yes, I was there."
          "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
          "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
          "No I was chus wondring"
          "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
            Yes, I think it is good that the writers are showing this side of Teyla – though I don’t think it is necessarily a new side of her. I think there have been indications in many episodes over the last 4 seasons of Teyla learning and being good at operating both Ancient and human technology.

What I can think of off hand,

“Intruder” – Teyla hands Sheppard a computer notebook and I think says she had been compiling data and reports on Ford.

“Misbegotten”- Teyla is seemingly in charge of the city.

Can’t think of all of the names – I think “Condemned” was one- but there have been several episodes where Teyla has operated some of the controls in the Jumper.

“Epiphany” she figured out the time dilation difference using the camera recorder

“Phantoms” she assisted McKay – working from computer tablet - with disabling the Wraith device

“Quarantine” she was working on the computer with Sheppard

I am pretty sure there are others I just can’t recall the name of the episodes at the moment. I think it shows nice character progression.
            Agreed. She is and alwayshas been one of my favorite characters.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

» I like Teyla using technology. A lot, because she has BRAINS, yo.

» The part that worries me is that the writers just can't let Carter go ... What a great reason to keep her around by making Teyla more like her.

Comment

It's about time they have. i like how they mentioned how she has obtained these skills. I just hope that they do continues this progress with her making her character more productive and useful in these situation rather than just beinging all xena, though I have missed her in hand to hand combat.
                sigpic

Comment

Traditionally in Stargate Atlantis when the team goes offworld and encounter a problem of a technological nature McKay is the only one actually trying to fix the problem while the other 3 are doing something else (either shooting bad guys or even worse just standing around) so it would be nice if to see McKay working on the problem and teyla helping out (like she did "The Daedalus Variations").

I dont want to see Teyla getting enough technological knowledge to challenge McKay but it is great to see her have enough knowledge to help instead of standing around asking stupid questions (which has traditionally been a thing which Teyla and Ronon do often).

Comment

and sooner or later she can have her own 304, because at this rate, she'll be promoted to a shipp commander very soon. She has learned few things in two weeks, so two or three months, she will replace Caldwell
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                      ...instead of standing around asking stupid questions (which has traditionally been a thing which Teyla and Ronon do often).
                      Ah, but asking stupid questions is a necessity they can't get around. Things need to be explained to the audience once in a while or most of them get bored with all that techno-babbling. These "stupid questions" are there to help the audience (not all of them are aware of how physics/computers/science works).
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I like the idea of Teyla having more skills. i just hope they dont make her have so many skills it becomes unbelievable.

also i dont want to see her technical skills surpass Rodneys otherwise why not have teyla go out on her own, on missions?

as long as they keep it in balance im all for it.
                        sigpic
                        banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Yes, but I don't like the inconsistency of the writing. The change happened way too quickly.
                          We're whalers on the moon,
                          We carry a harpoon.
                          But there ain't no whales
                          So we tell tall tales
                          And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

So Radek is out, Teyla is in .

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Ah, but asking stupid questions is a necessity they can't get around. Things need to be explained to the audience once in a while or most of them get bored with all that techno-babbling. These "stupid questions" are there to help the audience (not all of them are aware of how physics/computers/science works).
                              Especially in SGA, where physics/computers/science work very differently from in real life.

I, too, like that Teyla is learning some tech, but I, too, miss seeing her fight hand-to-hand against bad guys.
                              My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                              Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X