The Daedalus Variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Daedalus Variations

I just watched the Daedalus variations and I saw some awesome tech.

The Alternate reality drive
    We should not copy this thing, because the problem outwage the benefits. Even if we use it as an escape measure, the risk will always be getting stuck in another reality. Not to mention a rip in time and space when it blows

Subspace energy gathering system
    Well this is some nice tech. It succeeds where arcturus failed. Well of course you need multiple of them to use them efficient. It can store power in a capacitor and it can deliver as much energy as a ZPM and it is infinite. We could put 3 of them on a 304. One main and two backup. If the main is empty we could use another and the other could be used in non combat situation for matter conversion tech, if we install it on all ship. This would mean some almost infinite time on a ship and no need for supplies. Also I would put seven on Atlantis. Three of them would power Atlantis at full power, and we could use three for backup, and we would have one additional if the thing should fails. This would also mean less naquadah generators and we could use the naquadah for construction. However this would mean that we obtained more uber tech than we already had. One nice bonus would be that the 304s can travel much faster.

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
    I just watched the Daedalus variations and I saw some awesome tech.

The Alternate reality drive
    We should not copy this thing, because the problem outwage the benefits. Even if we use it as an escape measure, the risk will always be getting stuck in another reality. Not to mention a rip in time and space when it blows

Well this is some nice tech. It succeeds where arcturus failed. Well of course you need multiple of them to use them efficient. It can store power in a capacitor and it can deliver as much energy as a ZPM and it is infinite. We could put 3 of them on a 304. One main and two backup. If the main is empty we could use another and the other could be used in non combat situation for matter conversion tech, if we install it on all ship. This would mean some almost infinite time on a ship and no need for supplies. Also I would put seven on Atlantis. Three of them would power Atlantis at full power, and we could use three for backup, and we would have one additional if the thing should fails. This would also mean less naquadah generators and we could use the naquadah for construction. However this would mean that we obtained more uber tech than we already had. One nice bonus would be that the 304s can travel much faster.

i wouldnt go that far. i mean yes it works for the alternat reality drive but it takes too long to load. and yes it would give you an energy burst but it wouldnt last very long even if you had a few of them. for now i think we should stick to conventional power generation. i mean if tis technology was so great why wasnt the deadalus being powered by it.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
      i wouldnt go that far. i mean yes it works for the alternat reality drive but it takes too long to load. and yes it would give you an energy burst but it wouldnt last very long even if you had a few of them. for now i think we should stick to conventional power generation. i mean if tis technology was so great why wasnt the deadalus being powered by it.
      Just put a couple dozen on each ship, and you're good to go.

Comment

the subspace thing is a mini arcturus, draining power on a scale and amount thats rather safe.

the problem is, mckay said it doesnt have a valve. its always there, always coming.

im wondering though: why didnt they get power from the drive to the shields? drain it away sufficiently, and the jumping stops.

there is no On/Off switch. so not sure what you do when you DONT need the power.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          there is no On/Off switch. so not sure what you do when you DONT need the power.
          Use the power, it's the only option. Just fire off the beam weapon at nothing.

Comment

In real day life, I think this sort of thing would be unwise. Just think, if a species like the Wraith ever existed, and had this sort of technology, they could practically orbit the same planet forever, just jumping realities to feed.
            sigpic
            It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
              In real day life, I think this sort of thing would be unwise. Just think, if a species like the Wraith ever existed, and had this sort of technology, they could practically orbit the same planet forever, just jumping realities to feed.
              I had not even considered that, but it would make a lot of sense for them. Just find one heavily populated planet, feed, and start jumping to other realities hoping that their planets are equally bountiful. That's kind of clever.

Comment

just go to a reality in which earth never discovered atlantis, and take it over, then jump back to your reality and go conquer the tauri.

mmm.... it also seemed to me that the interdimensional drive was jumping hundreds at once. otherwise, it would seem stupid that in just one reality further, which should be closely identical to ours[if it depends on choices: someone chose a red shirt instead of a green one], and it wont change much for the next few dozens.

Comment

i think the capacitor was hard wired to the drive, i mean if he could have taken power away from the thing he would have tried that so that he could stop the jumps and give him time to think, and even more time to fix the sublight. Even if its not hard wired maybe it only discharges when completely full, so until then the power is useless

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt View Post
                    i think the capacitor was hard wired to the drive, i mean if he could have taken power away from the thing he would have tried that so that he could stop the jumps and give him time to think, and even more time to fix the sublight. Even if its not hard wired maybe it only discharges when completely full, so until then the power is useless

still. their was a path to everywhere else b/c the power that was going to the shields he transfered it to the capacitor so that means there is a path between the normal power grid and the capacitor, so why couldnt he do the reverse. send power to the shields?
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

i think:

subspace sapper -> capacitor-> rest of the ship.

so it cant draw power from it. rerouting would be dangerous cause of radiation.

seeing how fast that subspace energy souce could acquire ZPM levels of energy, it would be usefull on atlantis. nothing fancy like shields, but would for the day-to-day power, + chair. or just permacloak the city

Comment

They could use blast doors and maybe some radiation shield. Also McKay mentioned that they had a valve, but modified (or at least were trying) the drive to bring them home faster, because each jump got them further from their reality

Comment

I think per jump it doesn't require ZPM level energies. However to maintain it for weeks does. Which is what the subspace tap did.
                          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

actually to make a jump, it does require ZPM energies. which most likely means, percentages of ZPM's maximum power

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
                              Well this is some nice tech. It succeeds where arcturus failed.
                              Which is why it is absurd that Earth could invent it.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                              X