Quantum computers, the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quantum computers, the future?

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on this, but I was wondering what the good people at gateworld thought about the theory, and now practice of quantum computers.

They are based on the theory of Quantum mechantics, that one object could occupy two locations at the same time.

The idea is revlountionary, now with our computers the process of deriving the prime factors of two multiplicats is the bases of firewalls(basiclly what they are) and with Quantum computers they would be able to factor numbers expontially faster. The information is stored in quantum bits or qubits. These qubits are what make it possible for a computer, thier interaction with one anther is interpeted thus showing the end calc.

I only scratched the surface on this confusing thing, I suggest, if you want to, to read a little more about it. I inserted a link that looks like it has the nessary info.http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/com...tum_computers/

I would also like to know how you feel this will impact our beloved Sci-fi series, from Stargate to Star trek, with their binary computers and crystals, this (if success occurs) would throw all that out the window.

I doubt it would impact any show, Star Trek has better systems and in Stargate we have Asgard computers, who are probably beyond anything that Earth (without alien tech) is going to develop in thousands of years, because those asgard were more advanced than us many thousands of years ago and have developed for thousand of years, also the Asgard replicator war has caused rapid technological development.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
      Quantum computers they would be able to factor numbers expontially faster. The information is stored in quantum bits or qubits. These qubits are what make it possible for a computer, thier interaction with one anther is interpeted thus showing the end calc.
      Very true. The algorithm for integer factorization on quantum computers is called Shors algorithm and is exponentially faster than any classical algorithm (it takes polynomial time as opossed to the fastest classical algorithm which takes sub-exponential time).
      Quantum bits are bassed on the quantum mechanical effect known as superposition which means that they exist in all possible states at the same time (they are both 1 and 0 simultaneously).
      Regarding SciFi... I believe Carter mentioned at some point (in "48 hours" I think) that the Stargate stores information in crystals on a quantum level. It's possible that all crystals are quantum storage devices and the Ancients use some advanced form of quantum computers.

Comment

Thinking of a such powerful way of processing data always turns out to be a paradox to me, that due some statements in the computational complexity regarding the NP-Complete problems.

I suggest we gather a few people who are interested on the subject and go deeper in that discussion.
        Packed - FBR

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
          Very true. The algorithm for integer factorization on quantum computers is called Shors algorithm and is exponentially faster than any classical algorithm (it takes polynomial time as opossed to the fastest classical algorithm which takes sub-exponential time).
          Quantum bits are bassed on the quantum mechanical effect known as superposition which means that they exist in all possible states at the same time (they are both 1 and 0 simultaneously).
          Regarding SciFi... I believe Carter mentioned at some point (in "48 hours" I think) that the Stargate stores information in crystals on a quantum level. It's possible that all crystals are quantum storage devices and the Ancients use some advanced form of quantum computers.
          I guess I don't remember that. But that does sound like somthing carter would say. It also makes sense why they can store so much information. So I guess that we are becoming pretty advanced then.

Comment

Working...
          X