PDA

View Full Version : Big problem with the last man (spoiler warning)

whiteout49
July 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ok in the last man Sheppard steps throw the gate and is transported back in time. I’m not going to get into the stupid idea that McKay is going to try to upgrade the gate and dialing program because the ancients built the system and they were a lot smarter then McKay and had a lot more time to work on it. But putting that aside when you are transported back in time by a solar flair like what happened in the episode 1969 you will sling shot around the sun back to your originating planet aswell back in time. So when Sheppard stepped throw the gate he should have been transported back to the planet he stepped throw and not to Atlantic. Did this bother anyone ells.

jenks
July 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Doesn't work like that, strictly.

Kebab Gud
July 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ok in the last man Sheppard steps throw the gate and is transported back in time. I’m not going to get into the stupid idea that McKay is going to try to upgrade the gate and dialing program because the ancients built the system and they were a lot smarter then McKay and had a lot more time to work on it. But putting that aside when you are transported back in time by a solar flair like what happened in the episode 1969 you will sling shot around the sun back to your originating planet aswell back in time. So when Sheppard stepped throw the gate he should have been transported back to the planet he stepped throw and not to Atlantic. Did this bother anyone ells.
same thing can be said for Continuum..
HOWEVER! every solar flair is diffrent..

Zatnikitelman
July 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Could have been a solar flare around the receiving 'Gate's sun in Last Man where 1969 had the solar flare around the sending 'Gate's sun.

Kezia
July 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
As a general rule I don't allow myself to get too roped into the actual physics of SG. I mean the whole premise of a gate sending you across the galaxy is already so out there that the technicalities reallty don't bother me anyways.

VinceB
July 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
The whole idea behind the solar flare thing is that the gravitation of the star affects the wormhole and alters it in the time/space continium.

So theoretically, you could end up doing a complete loop, but you might not. The gravitation would have to affect it in such a way that the wormhole was redirected back to your original gate. If not, you could end up at any number of gates in the galaxy or even the one you were intending to being with, just in a different time.

andy tyler
July 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Mckay wasn't trying to upgrade the gate. He was trying to make it more efficient. Considering the technology was last upgraded/updated/CREATED like a few million years ago, do you blame him?

Jackie
July 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM

I see what you are saying...when Sheppard stepped through the gate the very first time to go BACK to Atlantis from ANOTHER planet he should have ended up back where he started...on ANOTHER planet.

Good catch!

So...in order to make canon work Sheppard needed to be LEAVING Atlantis instead of going to Atlantis.

lol.

Excalibur033
July 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Ok in the last man Sheppard steps throw the gate and is transported back in time.

-He didn't go back in time he went forward in time

Myles
July 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
You're assuming that despite the individual circumstances(position of gates relative flare, flare type, wormhole position relative to flare, ect) of each time a person has used a flare to time travel, the outcome should be the same. That's not how things work.

andy tyler
July 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM

you need to work on your spelling before you start complaining about theoretical and sci fi physics.

coldmachine
July 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Maybe McKay, in the future timeline, moved Atlantis to that planet and got rid of the other gate, that way Sheppard arrives through the Atlantis gate. Then going back in time, Sheppard would arrive on the original planet and have to then gate to Atlantis and hope another flare doesn't mess anything up.

Lewisco
July 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM

okay, for one, sheppard was sent to the future. second, solar flares dont always slingshot you back to the planet. that only happened in 1969 due to the shape of the solar flare. ever flare is different, some send you forward in time, some backward. so sorry to say it, the flaws you mentioned.. werent flaws.

GoSpikey
July 31st, 2008, 05:51 AM
you need to work on your spelling before you start complaining about theoretical and sci fi physics.

Their spelling wasn't bad.

And don't start about someone else's spelling when you don't even capitalize your first word either. ;)

stargatefan234
July 31st, 2008, 07:08 AM

I too would have liked a scene where Shep reappeared on the planet he left from, said something like "oh, thats odd" and redialled atlantis. but thats just me.

Padme18
August 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I see what you are saying...when Sheppard stepped through the gate the very first time to go BACK to Atlantis from ANOTHER planet he should have ended up back where he started...on ANOTHER planet.

Good catch!

So...in order to make canon work Sheppard needed to be LEAVING Atlantis instead of going to Atlantis.

lol.

Yeah, I was wondering why this scenario didnt' happen. I guess like everyone else said, the situation differs, but then again that was how Carter explained it. And they used the same concept to send the note back in time in 2010.

malfunction
August 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
There is no doubt that he should have arrived on the planet he left, but also the weak 'reason' TPTB came up with make no sense. The DHD that Shepherd used to dial Atlantis would not have allowed a connection between the two stargates. As the wormhole would travel too close to a sun the DHD would stop the wormhole from forming.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
August 13th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe he did go back to the original planet. After all we never even saw Sheppard enter the gate. We see him go into stasis on the future Atlantis and then we cut to the scene where he arrives through the gate in the present Atlantis. That was a pretty severe cut from one scene to the next. Who knows what happened in between?

:)

escyos
August 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
please, please, PLEASE try to stop picking holes in every episode. your bringing the GW vibe down...its turning into HATEworld

thekillman
August 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM
its not a plothole or problem. the solar flare in 1969 was a solar flare that caused it to re-connect with itself in the past.

the Last Man solar flare and the Continuum flares were different. how we dont know, but Mitchell could travel to earth after being flung back in time. so clearly they dont always get back to the POO. this might be due to the position of the planet relative to the destination and the sun, so that way the gate connects with a past version of the recieving gate, not POO gate.

escyos
August 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM
if the wormhole goes close enough to a gate the gravity may cause it to form back onto itself and take you back in time. if you slingshot close enough the womhole may take you to your destination in the past or future.

Puddle-Jumper
August 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Well the timeline that sheppard went into the future of isn't the timeline that EATG happened on, Atlantis was never moved to Earth or anywhere else in that timeline. Problem solved :)