This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Many people are on Atlantis?

During the outside night shots of Atlantis every building has lights. With only one ZPM the city is using a lot of power. I realize that the shots are for dramatic effect but is Atlantis being utilized fully?

SusantheTartanTurtle writes: I saw the second episode - does nobody put the lights out in Atlantis - it looks pretty glowing in the dark, but what a waste of ZPM power.

Answer: Given that the city is powered by ZPM, turning off those lights isn’t going to make that much of a difference. It’s like unplugging your electrical appliances when they’re not in use. Sure, theoretically you would be saving some energy, but enough energy to warrant going through all the trouble?
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-john-picacio/
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Besides...it won't be long before Rodney drains the ZPM anyways.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
        Besides...it won't be long before Rodney drains the ZPM anyways.
        On the flip side, we have a few to spare.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I think there are way too many people doing nothing.

Originally posted by Bimmer33 View Post
          During the outside night shots of Atlantis every building has lights. With only one ZPM the city is using a lot of power. I realize that the shots are for dramatic effect but is Atlantis being utilized fully?
          I have no idea. I figured they haven't translated that bit in the Ancient notes yet.
          Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I doubt that there would be enough people there to fully occupy the city. For some reason the number 200 comes to mind, maybe something about there being around 200 people was mentioned in one of the episodes, I can't remember.

EDIT: The number of people in the mess hall in Tabula Rasa would probably give the most accurate guess.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
              I doubt that there would be enough people there to fully occupy the city. For some reason the number 200 comes to mind, maybe something about there being around 200 people was mentioned in one of the episodes, I can't remember.

EDIT: The number of people in the mess hall in Tabula Rasa would probably give the most accurate guess.
              I think there were about 200-300 people for Season 1... Season 2 added probabaly about a hundred people to the mix... and with the Daedalus theres more people added every day... well... every two weeks.... or was it four... a full journey would be a month...besides that... i'm going for somewhere between 500 to a thousand... two hundred is just far too little at this time

Comment

Originally posted by LightningSt View Post
                I think there were about 200-300 people for Season 1... Season 2 added probabaly about a hundred people to the mix... and with the Daedalus theres more people added every day... well... every two weeks.... or was it four... a full journey would be a month...besides that... i'm going for somewhere between 500 to a thousand... two hundred is just far too little at this time
                agreed. Although Wonder what Atlantis capacity is?.

Comment

isnt atlantis supposed to be the size of a major city?

not sure if what is shown in the show shows this but i think i recall someone mentioning that altantis is the size of manhattan..which is pretty big and could support a LOT more people then just 1000, but from watching the show it doesnt really seem like the size of manhattan does it?

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSeven View Post
                    isnt atlantis supposed to be the size of a major city?

not sure if what is shown in the show shows this but i think i recall someone mentioning that altantis is the size of manhattan..which is pretty big and could support a LOT more people then just 1000, but from watching the show it doesnt really seem like the size of manhattan does it?
                    New York City to be exact (My hometown!!! Big up to Harlem. I love the METS too, screw the Yankees!! ) . So it could hold several million.

Actually NYC is not that big. I've walked from the edge of Inwood where it meets the Bronx down to end of Battery Park (Financial District) within a couple of hours---okay so more like 9 or 10, and that's with making a lot of stops to eat and window shop. NYC is small. I thought Central Park was big, but that could be because I got lost in that park, but with the zoos and restaurants now in that place you can't get lost any more.

As for Atlantis you have to count in measure of square feet so it's very likely the size of Manhattan. Atlantis is almost a weird looking circle, NYC is like a long messed up hotdog. If you stretch out NYC into a circle it might look just like Atlantis; so it works.

Originally posted by hank View Post
                    Well NYC I believe has about 1.6+ million (stats below) and can hold a hell of a lot more. So it's capacity might be in the 8+ million. But really do these places have capacity. In a lot of NYC apartments they used to have 4-5 bedrooms, people died and the building owners turn one apartment into 3-4 apartments, one has to be a studio of course.

So then that means plenty of room for more people.

http://nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=57
                    Last edited by vaberella; 28 July 2008, 12:43 AM.
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

on the outter views of atlantis look at how many sky scrapers there are and how many rooms each of them must have and but in mind that the acients all left the milky way on atlantis to pegauses in the first place so id but the number on half a mill at least
                      We need a Zed-PM to power the gate.
                      Huh?
                      Zee-PM He's Canadian.
                      (to McKay) I'm sorry.

Comment

I think there are about 400 people in Atlantis now, since more have been brought in when it turned out that there was a War going on. Marines joined in, I believe.

I don't think there's 1,000 people on Atlantis, though, since you have to be able to feed them in the mess hall, too, and then I'm more thinking about the amount of food you'd need, than the space for it.

I doubt there were half a million Ancients on Atlantis. There weren't many left to leave for Earth, and remember the ships picking up Ancients on different locations in the galaxy so they could be brought to Atlantis and taken to Earth as well?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

I believe it was more like 200, but these days it seems like 20 due to the dearth of background players in the show. Sometimes it seems maybe only a couple dozen work/live on the base!

It could be more now. TPTB no doubt keep the number deliberately undisclosed in case they need to use a specific number in an episode.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hank View Post
                              it's like Manhattan..few millions perhaps? But I doubt there were so many Alterans ever in Atlantis
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X